Rogers touring band

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
ChronicJk
Embryo
Embryo

Rogers touring band

Post by ChronicJk »

So it seems that the new album/tour has brought a new bunch of musicians. Most notably for me at least is the addition of Jonathan Wilson as vocalist/guitarist to presumably replace Robbie Wykoff and Snowy White.

This has me pretty excited as a fan of his for a while. He produces Father John Mistys records and has a couple of awesome solo records. I would recommend checking out Gentle Spirit, tracks Desert Raven, Natural Rhapsody, and The Valley of the Silver Moon.

Anyone have any thoughts on some of the new band members?
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Re: Rogers touring band

Post by raisemyrent »

Yeah, the girls with the wigs are terrible and the drums are too busy for the Floyd stuff.
Luca
Axe
Axe

Post by Luca »

The girls with the wigs remind me of the Moonbase in UFO tv series (early 70s) :o
YetAnother
Axe
Axe

Post by YetAnother »

Every drummer will be too busy next to Nick Mason.
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

True. But don't overdo it. The songs have a style. Steve DiStanislao had it right. There's a place for fills and shining.
So, how many guitar players this time round?
YetAnother
Axe
Axe

Post by YetAnother »

Same as on his previous tour. Kilminster, a new guitar player, a new bass/guitar player and Carin here and there. Gives him a chance to walk around and be just the singer, I guess. OTOH it is a bit questionable how much he plays even when he has a (bass)guitar in his hands.
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

Who's the guy that did the emotional slow solo in dogs on desert trip? He's good.
My wife was watching some footage alone (I was trying to get her excited about the show later this year) and she's like "all he does is walk around and bob his head, and sometimes, he plays bass"
Lol
YetAnother
Axe
Axe

Post by YetAnother »

That's Dave Kilminster.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

YetAnother wrote:That's Dave Kilminster.
Very very good guitar player. Best Roger's used by a mile and easily the best musician he's got there.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

Jonathan Wilson's an interesting choice. I saw him play live a few years ago and thought he was excellent. It's nice to see some fresh faces in the band.
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

Thanks. I recognise him now! Last seen: on the in the flesh video, which by my reckoning is a over 15 years ago, hence my confusion. I actually think he's got better at playing the Gilmour stuff, judging back to that video.
moodyblue
Hammer
Hammer

Post by moodyblue »

kjek1 wrote:
YetAnother wrote:That's Dave Kilminster.
Very very good guitar player. Best Roger's used by a mile and easily the best musician he's got there.
Don't forget Jeff Beck.
For my money he has been the best guitar player used by Roger but I would certainly agree Kilminster is the best touring player.
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

Agreed. Jeff beck was never emulating Gilmour though. Restrained as he was, he was doing original stuff. He's nail it though; have you heard the version of Jerusalem with Gilmour guesting? They have the same ideas when improvising it's eerie.
kcmule
Embryo
Embryo

Post by kcmule »

raisemyrent wrote:Yeah, the girls with the wigs are terrible and the drums are too busy for the Floyd stuff.
The Lucious girls received the loudest ovation during the band introductions last night in Denver
moodyblue
Hammer
Hammer

Post by moodyblue »

raisemyrent wrote:Agreed. Jeff beck was never emulating Gilmour though. Restrained as he was, he was doing original stuff. He's nail it though; have you heard the version of Jerusalem with Gilmour guesting? They have the same ideas when improvising it's eerie.
I haven't. Would love to hear it though. Can you provide a link please?