There will be a new album

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Re: There will be a new album

Post by danielcaux »

Yeez. The radical anti-Waters fans seem to be so petty, resentful and full of hate that it's pathetic really. I feel sorry for you. It actually reminds me of one of Roger's lyrics from this new album: "it's not enough to succeed, we need others to fail", or something like that. How ironic.

I guess the notion that Waters was so happy and expressed so openly his joy about having Gilmour play with him because actually he is humble enough to be able to appreciate and recognize how good a guitar player and singer Gilmour is, just never was a possibility in your mind, right?
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

ITTLWRW is better than The Endless River and The Division Bell.

An astonishing return to form.

"Picture That" is a masterpiece.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

I agree. This album has been able to almost move me to tears at some points. That level of emotional resonance it's the mark of a great work of art for me.

But you gotta keep in mind that there's no absolute "better" really. Some people just want some pretty sounds in their music, to lift up the spirits. And for that TDB and Endless River are the better albums, no doubt.

But if you want a heady mind trip, then this album is the best the Floyd has offered since 1983.
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

What vizor said.
We're feisty because of the crap waters says. They ever understood me! (Geniuses are misunderstood. Trying too hard). I'm twice the musician they were. Amused to death is a masterpiece. I'm doing the wall because it's still relevant.
All those statements are garbage aimed at stirring the pot.
Nice quote, but waters hasn't actually succeeded with his new music at all. That's kind of the point. Didn't he say his solo shows after leaving pink Floyd (small, half empty venues) were "humbling"? He needs more of those.
Ps the album is not that good. Kind of embarrassing to say after 25 years, "hey my producer made me an album of rehashes please listen to it"
I was listening to runaway from broken china on shuffle yesterday and it has more musicality than the entire album.
Charade I am
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Charade I am »

I did a little experiment. If you take away the songs "Broken Bones" and "The Most Beautiful Girl", the album turns into a masterpiece :).
Last edited by Charade I am on Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

it does grow on you and I would put it second favorite after Radio KAOS
bonjanee
Axe
Axe

Post by bonjanee »

I'm getting the impression that some folk around these parts had already made up their minds before they even heard a note of the album...

It's a strong album. Incredibly good in places, and it grows on me more and more as I listen to it. Lots going on. It's also (to my ears) the first Floyd related album to not have a downright embarrassing moment on it since..... wow.... probably The Wall.... (I like most of what the gang have put out... but no album has been perfect since the 70's)

I only have one metric to measure when listening to music, especially Floyd 'does this move me'. There are some incredibly moving parts on the album. As with all Floyd-related albums I'll reserve judgement 100% until I've given it more listens but Roger has put out a really substantial piece of work.
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

The first vocal lines on the first song are embarrassing to me. But each to their own I guess. All I know is I am not motivated in the slightest to listen to it again and I don't regret not finishing kaos, pros and cons, or ça ira.
The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by The Gunner's Dream »

So you admit to hardly listening to any of his solo albums all the way through? If you couldn't even keep your mind open enough to finish a 45 minute cd I have no idea why you would have expected anything different from his new album. It isn't great, but it is in keeping with his other solo works, so if you didn't like those I'm not sure what you might have been looking for out of this one. But frankly only listening to a piece of music one time, or not even listening to something all the way through at all, sort of makes you look like you aren't even trying to enjoy it in the first place. I see you posting a lot of stuff in this part of the forum, and all of it is negative towards Waters. You're certainly entitled to your opinions, but some of your comments border on troll-ish.
bonjanee
Axe
Axe

Post by bonjanee »

raisemyrent wrote:The first vocal lines on the first song are embarrassing to me. But each to their own I guess. All I know is I am not motivated in the slightest to listen to it again and I don't regret not finishing kaos, pros and cons, or ça ira.
David, I thought Polly had told you to keep off the Roger Waters forums. [-X
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

Well within 24 hours I should have a physical copy and be able to give it a lot more attention.
I am aware I haven't exactly fallen over myself to hear it again on the YouTube link, but I'm happy for it and haven't listened​ to Ca Ira.
It's currently number 1 in the midweeks and I think it could still be there on Friday.
I am nowhere near the rabid fanboy I appear to be at the moment. But that could change!
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

I wasn't expecting anything different, but I'm also not here saying it's a masterpiece. If I start an album and its dreariness and repetitiveness make me want to stop listening, that's my prerogative. If it was the radio, I'd change the station or turn it off. That speaks for the music in so far as this listener is concerned. I was interested to hear it and I got to once. It's a new development in the pink Floyd world and praise and hate for it certainly makes for conversation; hence why I return. I'm also going to one of the shows.
True, sadly I don't expect anything else out of browsing the waters section of this forum (hence why I stayed away from it for years until this album came up), but I appreciate everyone's comments even if I don't agree with them and I certainly stay reasonable and respectful, while calling a spade a spade (I.e. Waters singing or singers out of tune)
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

I can't be bothered to take anyone seriously who doesn't finish a new album from a co-founder of Pink Floyd.
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

I best brush up on my bob klose then.

(And I'm the troll)

Ps thanks for the wake up call, jimi dean. Best leave this section as there's nothing here for me. Over to calling rattle that lock a masterpiece on the Gilmour forum, oh wait...
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

bonjanee wrote:I'm getting the impression that some folk around these parts had already made up their minds before they even heard a note of the album...
Yes. Flathead and myself clearly had our minds made up before we heard the album. Flathead thought it was a masterpiece before he heard it and I thought the album would be obvious and lame. We were both right. For Flathead, this is up there with WYWH. For me it's lame. Mostly because it's the total opposite of what PF stood for when they were great. Forging ahead etc. Oh, it wears it's heart on it's sleeve and all that, but the heart is plastic and the sleeve is torn.

I was willing to change my view upon hearing the material. Absolutely. The material was worse than I thought it would be. Daniel, I don't know who you're calling petty but Waters recent comments about Wright and Gilmour seem petty to me. How can we view things so differently? Waters comments in 1987 were unbelievably petty yet you forgive him. Forgive those of us who don't like this album and who don't appreciate being treated by members of Pink Floyd like we're mindless Pink Floyd consumers.

25 years was too long and this slab of tunes is too late for me. Plus, all the other baggage that goes with it and comes from "the genius behind pink floyd's" mouth. Gilmour's albums are no better but he's less annoying as a human being. If Waters really had been the brains behind Pink Floyd I would be supportive of his old-man-looking- back- at- a- time- when- he- was- popular concept album. But he lied about that.