There will be a new album

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Re: There will be a new album

Post by danielcaux »

25 years? What are you talkng about? Roger didn't tour for ATD in 1992, when he had something new to show, so in a way his 99-2000 tour was a belated ATD tour. And then his next tour was in 2006 I believe? So techically he has only toured during 2006-2008 and 2010-2013 without new material to show. 7 years I believe. And now he's touring again in 2017 with a new album.

So "25 years of touring with nothing new to show" is just another of those rampant anti-Waters fantasies that pass now as "facts" in the imagination of some fans.
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

Some people (e.g. on the Amazon reviews) think this is a great album (the overwhelming majority on Amazon) and some think it awful (there are some 1* reviews there.)

I'm listening to the album again, reading through the lyrics as I do. I see this as quality music. If we take, e.g. 'Picture This' and compare it to 'Dogs', 'Pigs', or 'Sheep', then it's not as good as the originals that it apes. But, PT is still a great song in my opinion.

I'd give Animals, DSotM, WYWH, and TW 5*

ITTWTYRW? I would give 4*. It's not as good as the classic PF albums, but it's very good in its own right.

Listening to ATD now for comparison.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

You know you like the album when you listen to a clock, expecting the music to come in, when you suddenly find you were just listening to your alarm clock ticking in a night without sleep!
Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Yucateco »

A quick jump out of retirement: What a pile of .... absolutely brilliant stuff. Oh how I missed old Rog rambling about the world. Is this the album I was really waiting for for 25 long years? Oh yes! Best Floyd related release since 83.
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

danielcaux wrote:25 years? What are you talkng about? Roger didn't tour for ATD in 1992, when he had something new to show, so in a way his 99-2000 tour was a belated ATD tour. And then his next tour was in 2006 I believe? So techically he has only toured during 2006-2008 and 2010-2013 without new material to show. 7 years I believe. And now he's touring again in 2017 with a new album.

So "25 years of touring with nothing new to show" is just another of those rampant anti-Waters fantasies that pass now as "facts" in the imagination of some fans.

That's skewing the numbers. While he didn't tour as much as I thought (maybe touring without a new album devalues it, or maybe because I've seen him 3 times), he did tour a bit. Fact is album he last released was in 1992, 25 years ago. And he toured in 99, 00, 02, 06, 07, 08, 10-13, and 2016 all without a new album, so my point very much stands. So technically 24 years, my bad. If you want to get technical, he hadn't toured to promote an album right after its release since 1987, so that's a whopping 30 years of greatest hits tours.

There was 0 Floyd tours since 94 and gilmour toured once throughout that time and was on tour 16-17, so without Roger, it was just the unofficial cover bands if you wanted some Floyd.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Ok. Thanks for publicly admitting your skewed logic behind that "25 years of touring with nothing to show" comment ;)

On the 99-00 tours he was playing new material from his latest album that had never been performed live. So as a I said, it was kind of a belated ATD tour, where he was playing those songs live for the first time. But even if you count those years , it just doesn't add up to your sensationalist "25 years of touring with nothing to show". And now you make it even worse with "that's a whopping 30 years of greatest hits tours" :lol:

On another note, mods, think it's about time for a new album entry in the Pink Floyd and Solo Albums subforum! Let it roll!

viewforum.php?f=47
Last edited by danielcaux on Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

What? 24 or 30!! Haha
Yikes. I didn't even know that area of the forum existed. Is it me or endless river is also missing? Mods?

Edit: just saw your edit. we'll just have to agree to disagree on this. Calling the In the flesh tour the amused to death tour 7 years later has nothing to do with logic. This is the first time Roger tours to support an album release since 1987. That's a fact but there's no point arguing about it.
My main point was that Roger has been touring on and off in some extent or another while without that, it would be very silent on the pink Floyd camp. I consider that a good thing. That was all. Somehow adding the fact that he did that without releasing new albums struck a nerve.
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

Yucateco wrote:A quick jump out of retirement: What a pile of .... absolutely brilliant stuff. Oh how I missed old Rog rambling about the world. Is this the album I was really waiting for for 25 long years? Oh yes! Best Floyd related release since 83.

Yes!
Rooster1
Axe
Axe

Post by Rooster1 »

The new album is still sinking in. I've given it 3 full runs on headphones. I'm really happy to have a new Roger Waters album here and give thanks for that. I even try kid myself that this is what Pink Floyd would sound like should they have stayed together. However I do miss Gilmour dressing off some of the songs with that guitar, but grateful a Gilmour soundalike wasn't drafted in on the pretence of imitation.

In terms of lyrical content I'm quite happy for Roger to still be ranting on. He's been consistent in interviews about his frustration with the world which most people can relate to. At least he didn't feel the need to have to sweeten the album up just for the sake of providing some light and shade.

One thing I can comfortably say: Smell The Roses is the best song to have come out of the Pink Floyd camp since 1983. Don't care if it robs from PF heritage, Roger's entitled to milk that anyway.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Radio Airplay! "Wait For Her" playing now on Lauren Laverne's 6Music show!
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

ALBUM OF THE DAY!!! So keep it tuned to BBC 6Music all day to hear more!
Luca
Axe
Axe

Post by Luca »

Apparently ITTLWRW has been withdrawn from the Italian market because of suspected plagiarism :shock: The album cover is said to mirror too closely the work of Emilio Isgrò https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emilio_Isgr%C3%B2

http://www.spettakolo.it/2017/06/17/tri ... -abbaglio/
YetAnother
Axe
Axe

Post by YetAnother »

Just censor the cover, like The Pros and Cons.

It's too bad the creative genius always had such ugly covers anyway. This is a good excuse to come up with a better one.
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

Luca wrote:Apparently ITTLWRW has been withdrawn from the Italian market because of suspected plagiarism ...
It is still listed for sale on http://www.amazon.it

:)
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Three weeks into the chart and down to 23.
http://www.officialcharts.com/charts/albums-chart/

I think moving an album from its original release date is the kiss of death for making a success of things.
I've seen this happen to other bands as well.