Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate This Album

5 - Best
78%
16%
4%
1%
1 - Worst
2%

Total votes: 159

ChickenStu
Axe
Axe

Re: Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon

Post by ChickenStu »

This and Fleetwood Mac's Rumours are my two favourite albums ever. And it's Pink Floyd's best. I don't really think there's any contest.
Steel Breeze
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Steel Breeze »

This is my second favourite album, both in my overall list and in the Floyd canon after Wish You Were Here. I've never heard an album that flows better than this one - the segues between individual tracks are brilliant (I especially love the transition between Money and Us And Them). I also think this album is a serious contender for best side two of all time. If I listen to Money even as a standalone track I quite often listen on to the end, but if listen beyond the intro to Us And Them I nearly always listen to all the remaining songs too (When I saw the Australian Pink Floyd Show a few months ago I felt somewhat gratified that they played the last four tracks from the album back to back)! :D

Favourite song would have to be Time - great vocals by David and Rick, great lyrics by Roger, great music by everyone (and an out of this world guitar solo to boot), although I also absolutely love Us And Them, and Brain Damage/Eclipse (I always listen to those two songs together).
Frydas Floyd
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Frydas Floyd »

The best album of all times,in every kind of music.Genious,magnificent,magic,beyond stratosphere!Forever and ever!
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

Slightly off topic -

I do not need yet another copy of DSOTM but Amazon in their infinite wisdom, presumably based on recent searches, thought I did. For amusement, I followed the link and was intrigued to see the album is listed as "The Dark Side Of The Moon (2011 Remastered Version) [Explicit]" ... I guess the profanity warning is for the f-word in the track 'Speak To Me'

](*,)
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by theaussiefloydian »

twcc wrote:Slightly off topic -

I do not need yet another copy of DSOTM but Amazon in their infinite wisdom, presumably based on recent searches, thought I did. For amusement, I followed the link and was intrigued to see the album is listed as "The Dark Side Of The Moon (2011 Remastered Version) [Explicit]" ... I guess the profanity warning is for the f-word in the track 'Speak To Me'

](*,)
That's pretty funny actually.
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

Slight off topic ...

Whilst looking for something else on the internet, honestly it was not a 'cat' video, I came across this little .gif -

https://twitter.com/i/status/1135649201684172801

Anyone on here ??
:)
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

Well, you may have a favorite album over this one and that's alright, you may believe there is a better album out there and that is fine too, but the reality is that this is the greatest album of all time! \:D/
dj865
Blade
Blade

Post by dj865 »

space triangle wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:30 am Well, you may have a favorite album over this one and that's alright, you may believe there is a better album out there and that is fine too, but the reality is that this is the greatest album of all time! \:D/
Agreed! [-D-]
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

dj865 wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:38 am
space triangle wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:30 am Well, you may have a favorite album over this one and that's alright, you may believe there is a better album out there and that is fine too, but the reality is that this is the greatest album of all time! \:D/
Agreed! [-D-]
Personal tastes etc, but as obvious as it is... There's just not another album as great as The Dark Side Of The Moon!
Really short pieces around a few longer pieces. Maybe it's made it boring to talk about. Maybe it's sucked all the adventure of exploring their albums to find best ever. But it's such a seriously wonderful album.
Imagine if they'd made the album AFTER The Wall? After Rick had gone and the band were pulling teeth working with each other?
Luckily, that never happened! But a warning to all. You get things this perfect, the only direction is to fall apart.
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

Jimi Dean Barrett wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:18 am You get things this perfect, the only direction is to fall apart.
Roger Waters once reflected: “The Dark Side of the Moon finished off Pink Floyd once and for all,” To be that sucesssful is the aim of every group.And once yuu've cracked it, it's all over“. :smt102
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

space triangle wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:24 pm
Jimi Dean Barrett wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:18 am You get things this perfect, the only direction is to fall apart.
Roger Waters once reflected: “The Dark Side of the Moon finished off Pink Floyd once and for all,” To be that sucesssful is the aim of every group.And once yuu've cracked it, it's all over“. :smt102
And if they hadn't been screwed over by Norton Warburgh's Finance Capital nonsense, who knows if Dark Side would have been the end?
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Jimi Dean Barrett wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:17 pmAnd if they hadn't been screwed over by Norton Warburgh's Finance Capital nonsense, who knows if Dark Side would have been the end?
They didn't become aware of it until much later, following the '77 tour. They filed a lawsuit, but it wasn't settled until 1981.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

The first dozen or so performances of Dark Side of the Moon, during "The Mortality Sequence", someone played a Flexatone. They gave this up fairly quickly, and by March, Gilmour was playing his guitar slide-violin over the organ, a la "Saucerful of Secrets" and "Echoes"...so I'm guessing it was Dave playing the Flexatone. He later played the Hammond in between his lap steel parts on the live versions of "Great Gig in the Sky". I have an original one from 1922, and the box says "Makes Jazz Jazzier."

You be the judge:

https://youtu.be/zhshEr2aKzg
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

^^^
Thanks for posting, the 'Flexatone' was new to me ... <ii>
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

twcc wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:57 am Slight off topic ...

Whilst looking for something else on the internet, honestly it was not a 'cat' video, I came across this little .gif -

https://twitter.com/i/status/1135649201684172801

Anyone on here ??
:)
^^
:lol: :lol:

Not seen this before.

Lucifer Sam, Siam cat
Always lying beside the fire
That cat's something I can't explain
Lucifer Sam know a mouse,
And he hasn't got a house
I don't know why.