Sgt. Peppers Anniversary Edition

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Sgt. Peppers Anniversary Edition

Post by theaussiefloydian »

So who's hyped for the Sgt. Pepper's remix due 1st of June?
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Sgt. Peppers Anniversary Edition

Post by twcc »

I've ordered a copy (to add to the vinyl, CD, remaster, mono etc) ... and I've got my old T-shirt ready for wearing on 01 June
:)
moodyblue
Hammer
Hammer

Post by moodyblue »

It's taken the record companies a long time to exploit The Beatles work although they'll probably filter all sorts of alternate album versions over the next 50 years or so. Most of this stuff I dare say has been in circulation for many years but yes, I'll be buying it too.
On another note, I never thought this was their best work. Revolver or Abbey road eclipse Pepper for my money.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

moodyblue wrote:
On another note, I never thought this was their best work. Revolver or Abbey road eclipse Pepper for my money.
I consider it a pretty fantastic record, but yeah, Abbey Road or Help! for me. Help! is just fun, and Abbey Road is a perfect mix of their fun-loving side and their more experimental side. All in all, the perfect Beatles record.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

moodyblue
Hammer
Hammer

Post by moodyblue »

theaussiefloydian wrote:
moodyblue wrote:
I consider it a pretty fantastic record

Me too.
Most if not all of their albums were close to brilliant but I suppose to have been around immersed in what was happening at the time would probably give the best aspect to judge this album in relation to the others.
I am only old enough to have just caught the buzz from the Abbey Road album. I was particularly fascinated by the whole apple and the half apple on each sides of the vinyl. Strange what grabs you as a child!
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Finally got around to listening to the whole thing, and I gotta say it sounds pretty great. Much better than the original. All the instruments are clearer, and I was detecting layers that I had never heard before in the original stereo mix. Right on.
rockfenris2005
Axe
Axe

Post by rockfenris2005 »

Found this release and the one for Abbey Road absolutely stunning. Wish all the albums would get this treatment.
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

^
A qualified agreement, the Sgt Pepper SDE is fantastic, I also like the 'White Album' SDE as the whole package is wonderful. Somehow the Abbey Road SDE (for some reason it was called 'Anniversary Edition' and was in a slim box sleeve) was good insofar the main disc was worth the investment but the remaining elements were not so impressive.

Keenly await the Let it Be SDE but I guess we will have to wait until Peter Jackson finally finishes the film so that it can also be included in what I guess will be a mammoth studio, acoustic, and live collection of CD and Blu-ray (4K?) plus, hopefully, a good selection of the associated photographs.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

I'm really hoping for remixes of all of their albums A Hard Day's Night onwards - I love The Beatles, but listening to the stereo mixes on headphones can be a little irritating - the hard panning makes it sound a little disjointed to me and these new mixes by Giles have gone a long way in fixing that.
In an ideal world perhaps Please Please Me and With the Beatles would get the same treatment, but given that they were recorded on two-track setups I imagine that's pretty much impossible.