There will be a new album

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Re: There will be a new album

Post by danielcaux »

I was wondering, how much has it sold compared to his past solo albums?
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

danielcaux wrote:I was wondering, how much has it sold compared to his past solo albums?
I haven't got the figures for it, but just wanted to say The Last Refugee really does top the best of his Pink Floyd material. Easily the best thing he did solo. The album it's from is quite good too.
Sorry if I've said that before!
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Now down to 67 five weeks in.
http://www.officialcharts.com/charts/albums-chart/
Still no figures, but for all the talk he's still being outsold by Gilmour's chart successes.
A shame, because Roger's made the better album.
This is either the last we see of it or it charts again during UK tour whenever.
And look which one of those albums associated with Roger is coming up to greet his new effort at 96? (The one with 495 weeks on the chart)

Again, I really think holding the record back from its first proposed release damaged it. But I am glad I am seeing already Rock video of Best Albums of 2017, which have the cover on their thumbnail.
Hammer
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Hammer »

Hello, first post!
Recently finally got my hands on the new albums. I've been listening to Is This The Life We Really Want and Rattle That Lock. The first sounds like a decent follow-up to The Final Cut and the second sounds like a decent follow-up to A Momentary Lapse of Reason heh
There's this stale 80's vibe to Gilmour's album, especially the title track. I like the album okay though. Amazing guitar work as usual and expected, still love his vocals and still iffy about Polly Samson's lyrics.
Waters album, I love! Very creative stuff here, amazing orchestration and strings, the music grabs your attention pretty much for the entire album, like initially I'd put the music on and start working on something only to find myself distracted in thinking of what's playing. Brilliant lyrics but I didn't like the spoken-word style of singing Waters used almost throughout the album, he knows singing is his weak spot but he already has us used to the sound of his voice from the Floyd days, an it-is-what-it-is thing so why hold back? Could be age.
I can only imagine if Gilmour's voice and guitar soloing were all over Waters music and creativity in song writing and arrangement, oh wait that's the 70's! But both these guys continued ability to do these things is what makes it so devastating that they don't collaborate anymore, each of them has strength that totally compliments that other and weaknesses that totally get supported by the other, they're truly the most perfect band mates in the industry history IMO.
Like I said Is This The Life We Really Want feels like a Floyd album that comes after The Final Cut, it's the only Roger Waters album that feels like that. However Rattle That Lock feels like the Gilmour solo effort that it is and along with On An Island supports my impression that AMLOR and The Division Bell could have also easily been Gilmour solo albums. In a way This The Life We Really Want is the first thing that sounds like Floyd to me, since The Final Cut.
It's too soon for me to mash the two albums together into one playlist and stop listening to them individually but I sooooo wanna do that and convince myself it's new Floyd 8)
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Hammer wrote:Hello, first post!
It's too soon for me to mash the two albums together into one playlist and stop listening to them individually but I sooooo wanna do that and convince myself it's new Floyd 8)
Welcome Hammer!
I loved what you wrote about the album's! And don't forget to add The Endless River to your mash up as well.
I feel I can't start doing that yet, but this is the strongest solo album. And if anything even makes Amused To Death seem unlistenable compared to the pull and atmosphere of Is This The Life We Really Want?
Hammer
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Hammer »

Thanks Jimi! And I definitely agree with you there as well, one of the things Amused To Death lacked for me is atmosphere and the spaces to let the music breathe, to use Waters expression about DSTOM songs from the DSTOM Classic Albums documentary.
I'm still on the fence about The Endless River, I actually only listened to it a couple of times when it came out but not much since. This might be the perfect time to bring it back into my listening cycle.
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

welcome! I agree that amused to death has some really good atmospheres... I love the way some songs set up the ambience... it's just that, to me, the "music" bit never actually happens, even with Jeff Beck on payroll.
I find this current album, however reminiscent of Floyd, way more balanced, if also perhaps calling for a screaming solo here and there, even as restrained as something from the final cut.
I personally love TDB and TER, but it was an evolved Floyd based on nothing past 1975, so not for everyone.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

New video and it seems to have a continuity with the video for The Last Refugee.

https://youtu.be/iSl1kmQMG2E

Can't embed the video as I'm on a Tablet.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Great. Hopefuly he will include this new single on his tour setlist. The songs on this album are so good it would be a crime to not perform more of them live! This one, Broken Bones and especially the title track + Bird In A Gale would really turn this greatest hits tour into a proper tour for the new album.
BertWW96
Blade
Blade

Post by BertWW96 »

I've always said that Waters does "dull" better than anyone; I guess the problem with ITTLWRW is that while it is dull (very dull), it is not dull done well.

Another way to describe this failure: in some performances, Roger has strummed the opening of WYWH, and when he does, you can't tell what he's playing - it's as if he honestly believes that strumming is strumming, and the individual notes don't matter. This approach seems to be the one taken toward every element of ITTLWRW - maybe this is a melody...maybe this is a...what is any of this???

I wouldn't have believed he could make an album I wouldn't buy, but here we are. Too bad.
Hammer
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Hammer »

danielcaux wrote:Great. Hopefuly he will include this new single on his tour setlist. The songs on this album are so good it would be a crime to not perform more of them live! This one, Broken Bones and especially the title track + Bird In A Gale would really turn this greatest hits tour into a proper tour for the new album.
Oh yeah, it'd be great if he'd get gutsy enough to play the full album live!
I fuckin love this album, you guys have no idea how rare it is for me to find an album to really sink into, swim along it's sounds and think about it even when it's not playing. It's extremely difficult for me to accept new music in that immersive way and that's why I have very few things to listen to compared to most people. It's an odd and unexplained impairment on my behalf, I get jealous when I see a thread of people posting somewhere their top 10 albums of the year, I think "There were 10 good albums this year?!" heh, I can hardly name 30 albums that I really liked since the year 2000 or so. /rant
So yeah, I'm a happy camper right now
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

I honestly think that if he removed enough PF songs to play his new album, interest would drop. I'm not hating; it just seems to be so. Can't do the whole album for a while a la David Gilmour when most of what you do is lip sync and claim full credit while bobbing your head around.

p.d. ended up hating more than I wanted to
Hammer
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Hammer »

I disagree. Interest would be the same if he drops a couple more PF songs for his solo stuff.
Also Roger claims credit for PF songs he didn't write? source?
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

Hammer wrote: Also Roger claims credit for PF songs he didn't write? source?
Check the credits on the albums. Do you really believe Waters deserves sole credit for all of those songs?
I'd like to hear Pigs without Gilmour's contribution. Gilmour even wrote the bass intro. Or improvised it. Same thing. He came up with the guitar parts. The obvious chords that Roger strums (on the live versions he plays guitar while Snowy handles the bass) are very dull without all the embellishing. The song is average without Gilmour's uncredited writing contributions. And the list goes on and on.

Strange that all of Water's genius mysteriously slipped away after he left the band. But don't be suspicious. It's just a coincidence.

for the first time today
I feel it's really over

everton1690
Knife
Knife

Post by everton1690 »

cannot believe people are still paying hundreds of dollars to go to a live show and they even know he is miming

roger is now a complete fraud