Did Roger Lip Sync'd Live 8?

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
meenza
Embryo
Embryo

Re: Did Roger Lip Sync'd Live 8?

Post by meenza »

Follix wrote:He wanted to play ''Another Brick'' also, Gilmour didn't think the lyrics were appropriate for the event, and I really doubt he like Size Genetics this song since he never did it solo while he did other Waters songs like ''Money''
really nice to see though :)
Last edited by meenza on Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Arydigital
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Arydigital »

I was thinking about this: Waters sounded way better in 2010-2013 than during this gig, allegedly using some playback. Gilmour stated that Live8 was a proof that he couldn't work with Waters again

Is it possible that playback itself was a source of conflicts between both? In the sense, Roger wanted it for his part and the rest of Pink Floyd said ''no way''?
everton1690
Knife
Knife

Post by everton1690 »

Arydigital wrote:I was thinking about this: Waters sounded way better in 2010-2013 than during this gig, allegedly using some playback. Gilmour stated that Live8 was a proof that he couldn't work with Waters again

Is it possible that playback itself was a source of conflicts between both? In the sense, Roger wanted it for his part and the rest of Pink Floyd said ''no way''?
90% of the wall shows were he was supposedly singing were mimed
The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by The Gunner's Dream »

In regards to the Wall 1980 live shows being "90% mimed" I don't think that's entirely accurate. Having listened to numerous recordings from the 1980-81 shows, you can hear that nearly all of Waters' vocals are different on the same songs from night to night. There are a couple obvious spots where he mimed, such as "The Trial" (is that just studio playback? it sounds suspiciously similar on every performance) and sections of "Waiting for the worms" (the megaphone bit comes to mind), and maybe "Bring the boys back home". Can anyone else come up with "The Wall" live tunes where Roger obviously mimed? I think it would be fair to say he sang most of it live and mimed on a few. Its more like it was 90% live and 10% lip synced in my opinion.

As far as Live 8? His vocals were certainly live, they sounded way too rough and pitchy to be playback.
UsNotThem
Blade
Blade

Post by UsNotThem »

The original The Wall shows were definitely not mimed, other than the megaphone parts in WFTWs and The Trial. Roger's vocals were on point during this period.

I don't get how people can say he lip synced Live 8, he sounds awful. And I doubt David and Rick would have had anything to do with him if that was the case, they definitely wouldn't have gone through with the performance.

But everything about the 2010-13 Wall tour was pre-recorded, down to the on stage visuals to Roger's vocals - Other than a select few tracks such as The Thin Ice, Goodbye Cruel World, Nobody Home, Comfortably Numb and Outside the Wall. But at least he sang on some songs, which less can be said about his current tour.
everton1690
Knife
Knife

Post by everton1690 »

The Gunner's Dream wrote:In regards to the Wall 1980 live shows being "90% mimed" I don't think that's entirely accurate. Having listened to numerous recordings from the 1980-81 shows, you can hear that nearly all of Waters' vocals are different on the same songs from night to night. There are a couple obvious spots where he mimed, such as "The Trial" (is that just studio playback? it sounds suspiciously similar on every performance) and sections of "Waiting for the worms" (the megaphone bit comes to mind), and maybe "Bring the boys back home". Can anyone else come up with "The Wall" live tunes where Roger obviously mimed? I think it would be fair to say he sang most of it live and mimed on a few. Its more like it was 90% live and 10% lip synced in my opinion.

As far as Live 8? His vocals were certainly live, they sounded way too rough and pitchy to be playback.

I should of stated 2010-13
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

UsNotThem wrote: I don't get how people can say he lip synced Live 8
Well, he sort of lip synced when he was mouthing the words behind Gilmour's parts on CN. He couldn't just hang back and play the bass he had to make a big show of mouthing the words to remind us all that he wrote them. That moment was when I finally accepted it: Waters is an insufferable bastard. It's annoying.
vizor
Axe
Axe

Post by vizor »

Yea, they should've edited out those miming-without-a-mike shots and put in more of Nick and Rick. And also cut out his little speech where he says 'it's good to be back onstage with these guys'. The idiot was sucking on the milkless teat, something he would repeatedly do in the following months until the others started speaking up it wasn't gonna happen. :lol:
williamjones
Embryo
Embryo

Post by williamjones »

Arydigital wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:38 am I was thinking about this: Waters sounded way better in 2010-2013 than during this gig, allegedly using some playback. Gilmour stated that Live8 was a proof that he couldn't work with Waters again

sound like its mey be memed.
Djgilmour
Blade
Blade

Post by Djgilmour »

Roger has been miming (a part) of Every Strangers Eyes ever since his 87 tours

https://youtu.be/UuBDTSBUl9o ( part starting at 08:05 , this is a real live version from 84 )

Anyway,

I don’t think that they should have played Money and WYWH at live 8.

The best setlist would be

Breathe
on the turning away (for the live8 lyrics!)
comfortably numb
the final cut (for the fans!)
DarkSideFreak
Knife
Knife

Post by DarkSideFreak »

UsNotThem wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:47 am But at least he sang on some songs, which less can be said about his current tour.
It's kinda interesting that this never seems to get mentioned when writers review the shows and the like...
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

Lip syncing is no less lame today than it was in 1979. If pink floyd was lip syncing in the 70s it would have been a big issue with fans, reviewers etc. One more example of how people are conditioned to accept less and less quality/authenticity with every passing year. Roger Waters lip syncing is ludicrous. If the excuse is that he is now an old man all I can say is most of us are forced to move on when we can no longer perform our job.
DrNakano
Embryo
Embryo

Post by DrNakano »

Lol I think if Roger were indeed lip syncing he'd have done a better job of it?? I love Roger and he didn't undermine an incredible experience, but having been there he wasn't exactly in good form vocally, let's just say... :)
mabewa
Axe
Axe

Post by mabewa »

I remember that there was a bit controversy back in the 00's about Roger lip-syncing, and there were some pretty convincing videos online--you could sync up him doing two performances and the vocals were so similar that they sounded exactly like one vocal performance.

That said, Live 8? No, he genuinely choked up with emotion, thus affecting his vocals somewhat--that was unmistakenly live.

From this thread, some people seem to think he's lip-syncing on recent tours. Really? Is it just for some different parts, or is it extensive?

Anyway, I think it's disappointing if it's true. I don't mind a bit of piped in stuff to help with difficult lines, but if you are paying to hear Roger Waters sing, most of what you hear should be live.
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

He was lip syncing on his last tour