Why hasn't Roger done a single concert in 1992 or 1993 yet

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
Djgilmour
Blade
Blade

Why hasn't Roger done a single concert in 1992 or 1993 yet

Post by Djgilmour »

He has done fucking 10,000 shows since 1999 without releasing any new shit?
Amused to Death came out september 1992. We had no (well almost nobody did) internet so I was fucking surprised to walk into my cd store and find this album on its release date.
AND WHAT A FUCKING BRILLIANT ALBUM THIS IS.
I played it for months in a row every day at least once.
Such a great great great great album (except for late home tonight pt 1/2)

I was waiting then for Roger to tour but he just fucking stayed home (pun intended)
Why was that Roger?

He was so pissed that he made this great album and nobody bought it. He said it was the best Pink Floyd album ever made and if it had PF on it, it would have sold millions.
He was gonna tour if it sold one million albums which it eventually did after many many many many years of mouth to mouth talk of how brilliant this album is. Still, what a shame to not have seen him tour this in 92/93 in an intimate setting.
YetAnother
Axe
Axe

Re: Why hasn't Roger done a single concert in 1992 or 1993 y

Post by YetAnother »

His previous tours weren't very succesful and he had to cancel a lot of shows in the 80's.

But it would have been a better show than his current Pink Floyd greatest hits with 4 new songs tour. Talk about amusing people te death. Give the people what they want capatalism at its finest. Of course it are his songs too, but his shows are more for the casual Pink Floyd fan than the Roger Waters fan.
Luca
Axe
Axe

Post by Luca »

Vocally, his solo stuff is often too demanding for a 70years old man in a very long tour. Even in the good old days, The final cut (the song) was never performed live, and running shoes, go fishing, the every strangers chorus were lipsynched. During the In the flesh years he dropped What god wants and The powers that be after the first concerts.... The Us and Them setlist is a good compromise between fans favourites and Roger's vocal abilities (edit: however I wonder why he included Welcome to the machine... lipsynched in 1987 and today reinforced with a prerecorded track).
YetAnother
Axe
Axe

Post by YetAnother »

He didn't drop WGW and TPTB because of his vocal abilities. I suspect everything on his current tour has at least a backingtrack with his vocals, so that's no reason to do not do his solo songs.

How do you know he lipsynced Welcome to the machine in 1987?
moodyblue
Hammer
Hammer

Post by moodyblue »

Why didn't he tour? Simple answer, pure arrogance.
He creates by far his best solo work yet refused to do anything with it UNLESS the record buying public massaged his ego in buying it by the bucket load.
Luca
Axe
Axe

Post by Luca »

YetAnother wrote:He didn't drop WGW and TPTB because of his vocal abilities. I suspect everything on his current tour has at least a backingtrack with his vocals, so that's no reason to do not do his solo songs.

How do you know he lipsynced Welcome to the machine in 1987?
I read it somewhere... I could do some research on google, but perhaps it's better to check youtube. Two concerts, Montreal and Wembley: the performances sound the same to me, especially the "provided with toys and Scouting for boys" part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOnPJ_9vdAg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwNqFTIpaSM&t=4572s

WGW and TPTB: quite verbose lyrics, even for Waters standars, I think he finds it difficult to sing these songs in tune.
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

I'm not just having a go, but I think he finds it difficult to sing anything in tune. Except for the speak singing crap he loves.
YetAnother
Axe
Axe

Post by YetAnother »

They do sound the same. Never noticed that before :shock:
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

Djgilmour wrote: I was waiting then for Roger to tour but he just fucking stayed home.
Why was that Roger?
He was watching TV with Don Henley.
The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by The Gunner's Dream »

raisemyrent wrote:I'm not just having a go, but I think he finds it difficult to sing anything in tune. Except for the speak singing crap he loves.
The "speak singing crap" is the only time he's actually not in tune though, or trying to be. He actually had pretty good intonation at the peak of his singing (say 1979-85). I think he totally stripped his voice during those years, and combined with poor maintenance and vocal health habits (smoking, etc.) his voice never recovered. I don't think we can honestly say he couldn't sing in tune- his singing on The Wall and Final Cut are particularly strong. He mostly sounded awful on Radio KAOS and ATD though.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

raisemyrent wrote:I'm not just having a go, but I think he finds it difficult to sing anything in tune. Except for the speak singing crap he loves.

I think the years of screaming on careful with that axe has caught up with him
MattAShine
Axe
Axe

Post by MattAShine »

It was a pure cost decision on Roger's part to not tour ATD.

He was asked on an 87 KAOS tour interview if he'd tour Australia. Roger said he'd love to, if interest was there, as he didn't want to take a loss. He was cool with no profit, but no loss was his marker. With ATD, he had an idea for the tour, which is similar to what we got in 1999, but he didn't want to pull teeth like in '84, '85 and '87, so he said he'd tour it if ATD sold 2 million copies, and it sold around 1 mill. It got so far into planning that promoters were sent tour press kits, which stage concepts, marketing ideas, etc.

By 1999 everything changed. Dry Floyd had been out of the game for 5 years, allowing pent up interest in anything PF related to build, the legal battles that defined who Roger was to most casual fans had ended, the internet allowed people to just yahoo his name and see countless websites advising his role in the band, and (most significantly) Roger had a kick ass set list that could win over practically anybody.

And, BTW, Roger did play a concert in 1991 (Guitar Legends, in Seville Spain, where he priemered WGW), and in 1992 at the Walden Woods benefit.
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

The Gunner's Dream wrote:
The "speak singing crap" is the only time he's actually not in tune though, or trying to be. He actually had pretty good intonation at the peak of his singing (say 1979-85). I think he totally stripped his voice during those years, and combined with poor maintenance and vocal health habits (smoking, etc.) his voice never recovered. I don't think we can honestly say he couldn't sing in tune- his singing on The Wall and Final Cut are particularly strong. He mostly sounded awful on Radio KAOS and ATD though.
sorry, I hadn't seen this. it would be pretty thick to have something go on record and out of tune. I meant live (these days he "double tracks" as necessary). and I don't disagree with your post at all.
Peter Harold
Blade
Blade

Post by Peter Harold »

Djgilmour wrote:He has done fucking 10,000 shows since 1999 without releasing any new shit?
Amused to Death came out september 1992. We had no (well almost nobody did) internet so I was fucking surprised to walk into my cd store and find this album on its release date.
Well, we fucking had those fucking ads in our fucking newspapers so we got fucking updates about all the fucking releases that came from the fucking artists.

And as for Roger Waters not touring is previous solo album in the early 90-ies; the "Amused to Death" album did sold too poorly and his previous tours never sold out. He made a statement pretty recently about this era, in words that desricbe him more or less giving up touring for several years. at least when the rest of Pink Floy was touring. Since then, it has been Mr Waters role to keep Pink Floyd's music on the road.

Shine on,
Peter