There will be a new album

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Re: There will be a new album

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

Although it's been hilarious having Trump supporters paying to go his gigs and being offended!
Some even threw away their Pink Floyd t-shirts! Well that'll show him.

Roger: No fucking brains!
Trump supporter: Hey!
Trump supporter: Wait a minute!
Trump supporter: Something doesn't add up?
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

while I don't disagree with any Roger bashing, what I meant with "all the credit" is that it is a Roger Waters show. he is the one with the spotlight, yet, at times, he's literally not doing anything... maybe miming words, maybe some theatrics.... sad, really. You could remove/replace him and it would be the same or better, save for a A FEW songs where his voice is important (though you would always have the recordings he himself relies on live). and saying he wrote all the songs, while true in the literal and lyrical sense, means nothing (it's also hyperbole as mentioned before in this same thread). he could show up at a Brit Floyd show, walk on stage, and you would have the same balance of contributions. the band, while good (most of them, singers are crap), at BEST, can only imitate what's been done years and years ago by other people not present or credited. yawn.
Remove david gilmour from one of his shows and you have nothing.
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

Trump and Waters. They are both way overcompensated for what they offer. They are both spoiled. They both pursue more and more wealth as they coast through their old age. They both radiate cold shafts of broken glass. Neither are worth a quick grin. Waters was worth something to me at one time but only because of the songs for which he took credit. He was bullshitting me and I believed him. He's still bullshitting me but I no longer believe him. I never believed Trump.

I am in a unique position. I don't like much of Gilmour's solo stuff. I don't like much of Water's solo stuff. I don't like Trump. I don't like the Clintons. My reasons for being disgusted with Roger Water's products are not political. They are based solely on the mediocrity of the product. And the fact that Roger Water's talents do not back up his fractured ego.
Follix
Knife
Knife

Post by Follix »

In Quebec city last Friday night, the crowd cheered him for 5 minutes... I think I applauded 30 seconds, because that's what it was worth.

Then I hear ''Best show of all times'' but all the guy does is hide behind his musicians with another guy playing bass and pre-recorded vocal, he doesn't take any risk, I could be Roger Waters and it would sound the same, that's just ridiculous.

David, on the other hand, expose himself every night, for the best or the worst and we all know it wasn't always perfect he screwed up several times vocally or musically but at least he was doing something and it was real rock n'roll not just a theater play.

Net result is after going to his show I like him even less because he takes credits he shouldn't (nothing new tho.) Not normal the crowd cheered him more than the night I was at David Gilmour.
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

Maybe Roger is not the only one masking mediocrity behind the veil of long gone and shared success? Sometimes it feels the fans need him more than he needs them.

P.s. half the Gilmour fans are looking for the jaws on the floor anyways, while the Roger lot think every clap makes up a dollar spent on the ticket
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

If I said this was my favourite album of 2017 would you laugh and suggest better ones from this year?
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

why, of course not. first of all, you have the right to like whatever album best this year. second, I see your point. but let's be clear that we're excluding (and with VERY broad strokes then) ALL jazz, blues, and (what we call) classical. that's a lot of art left out.
in keeping with the assumption above (which does not rule out electronic), I would rather listen to shpongle's codex VI over anything out of the new roger album (long title now escapes me).
sticking with the genre (whatever that might be), I would cheat (because it's live) and say live at pompeii trumps it by a country mile.
Hammer
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Hammer »

Jimi Dean Barrett wrote:If I said this was my favourite album of 2017 would you laugh and suggest better ones from this year?
I'd totally agree, hands down my favorite from 2017.
I regret missing the live show.
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

Well, the new Roger Waters album has arrived "The Soldiers' Tale" ... it's a most intriguing listen.

First off, I thought I had a faulty CD as it took three times to load; but it now plays OK. If you're expecting 'classic' Pink Floyd or 'typical' Roger Waters solo music you'll be disappointed, but if you like S.F Sorrow or Betjeman's Banana Blush by Jim Parker you may find the album an interesting variant on an audiobook. The raft of characters and voices, the fantastic delivery and inflexions in the voice we are familiar with are great and require careful listening. The album is something you need to sit down with, listen to carefully, and not have on as background 'music' in the car.

The text size in the CD booklet is small and I hope it will be available, somewhere, as a .pdf as I would like to read it whilst listening to the narration.

As an aside, it is perhaps noteworthy given this album is out in late October, that David will be performing with the Pretty Things in December; I suspect the delivery of the narration may have similarities.

:)
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

^^^
Wow, I know this forum has gone quiet in recent months and years ... but has no one else purchased, or listened to, the new Roger album and got an opinion ??
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

twcc wrote:^^^
Wow, I know this forum has gone quiet in recent months and years ... but has no one else purchased, or listened to, the new Roger album and got an opinion ??
Funny story! Your post is the first I've heard of it!
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Anybody listened to Roger's new album yet? It is on Spotify, just waiting for the right moment!
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

^^^
Keith, as noted above on 26 October

... it's a most intriguing listen.

First off, I thought I had a faulty CD as it took three times to load; but it now plays OK. If you're expecting 'classic' Pink Floyd or 'typical' Roger Waters solo music you'll be disappointed, but if you like S.F Sorrow or Betjeman's Banana Blush by Jim Parker you may find the album an interesting variant on an audiobook. The raft of characters and voices, the fantastic delivery and inflexions in the voice we are familiar with are great and require careful listening. The album is something you need to sit down with, listen to carefully, and not have on as background 'music' in the car.

The text size in the CD booklet is small and I hope it will be available, somewhere, as a .pdf as I would like to read it whilst listening to the narration.

As an aside, it is perhaps noteworthy given this album is out in late October, that David will be performing with the Pretty Things in December; I suspect the delivery of the narration may have similarities.
DarkSideFreak
Knife
Knife

Post by DarkSideFreak »

Jimi Dean Barrett wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:15 pm If I said this was my favourite album of 2017 would you laugh and suggest better ones from this year?
Steven Wilson - To the Bone.

Far, far better.