David Gilmour - About Face

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate This Album

5 - Best
2%
25%
31%
29%
1- Worst
14%

Total votes: 59

kitkat
Knife
Knife

Re: David Gilmour - About Face

Post by kitkat »

Who you calling "inspiring"?!?!?!??!?!?! :mad: :mad: :mad:
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

kitkat wrote:And Satan said:

"Get that worthless drummer and call yourself Pink floyd, then no matter how crappy the songs are, you can sell a few million and, more importantly, you can go touring and sing Roger's songs and make lots of money"

And Gilmour, having no conscience, or writing ability said:

"Yeah, but who is going to write the songs. I mean, look Satan, did you see the Blue Light video?"
:lol:
JackRegan
Knife
Knife

Post by JackRegan »

danielcaux wrote:Haven't download it yet.
Tell us something new, we all know that you don't like Gilmour anyway/anyhow. Gilmours worst solo album, but i love "You Know I'm Right" and few other songs. Cruise is great song, nice light song.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

JackRegan wrote:
danielcaux wrote:Haven't download it yet.
Tell us something new
I don't feel i even have to point out the double standard at work here
Djgilmour
Blade
Blade

Post by Djgilmour »

How do you spell cheesy?

01. Until We Sleep
02. Murder
03. Love On The Air
04. Blue Light
05. Out Of The Blue
06. All Lovers Are Deranged
07. You Know I'm Right
08. Cruise
09. Let's Get Metaphysical
10. Near The End

3 great songs: you know i'm right, murdur and near the end. The rest is not good and some songs are crap with the capital C.
Enish
Knife
Knife

Post by Enish »

Embarrassing. I think Gilmour was trying too hard to disassociate himself from Pink Floyd with this album. "Blue Light" is the worst song ever performed by either a member of Pink Floyd or the band itself and the rest of album suffers from 80s synthesizeritis. I gave the album a 2/5 just because of "Until We Sleep" and "Let's Get Metaphysical"
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

About Face would be the 2nd Floyd album I was able to purchase on the day of its release

it sounded nothing at all like his first solo album, and aside from Murder not much at all like previous Floyd either
from its blatantly commercial sound, bigger production values, lengthy guestlist etc it was evident there was no more Pink Floyd, even if there was no official announcement
it was also welknown Roger had a solo album about to be released
so it seemed as if Daves 2nd solo album was in fact an attempt to create a marketable identity as a stadiumrocker postFloyd, rather than being a humble yet likeable sideproject

too bad about the songs then

I think he played Torontos Massey Hall promoting this album (as he would do again in 2006)
thus I decided to miss my first ever chance to see a live floydshow
but I already knew Roger would be playing Maple Leaf Gardens a few months later, and being a teenager with scarce financial resources made that my priority
ironically, considering how the 87 Floyd wars played out, most of my friends made the same decision, there was only one guy in my artclass I knew who actually saw Dave on this tour

I much regret missing the tour, not just cuz it was more floyd I could have seen, but because the offical live video shows this was a better concert than the studio album it was promoting, heavily emphasising the superior songs from the first album and hardly relying on any Floyd at all until the closing numbers
but with all the sidemen required it certainly anticipated the overgrown live lineup for the PinkFloyd87tm
Morty
Axe
Axe

Post by Morty »

Not a bad album, songs like . Murder, Out Of The Blue and Cruise are pretty solid. But it is more straight forward, and well...that is fair enough. I rated it 4.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

kitkat wrote:And Satan said:

"Get that worthless drummer and call yourself Pink floyd, then no matter how crappy the songs are, you can sell a few million and, more importantly, you can go touring and sing Roger's songs and make lots of money"

[...]

And Satan said:

"Tell Ezrin you will give him a boat ride. Go hire Jon Carin, bring back Rick to make it look better, and a few hundred people and you guys can write 10 songs that will suck but at least the nuts will think its kinda pink floydish. And then you can go on tour and sing Brick in the Wall and stuff."
The entire post cracked me up. :lol:

(I do like 'A Momentary Lapse of Reason', though.)
Hammer
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Hammer »

This was the only solo Gilmour album I had never listened to. I just finished my first play through, I gotta say I'm a little surprised most people don't like it. I regret not getting to it earlier.
On first listen I'd second this only to On An Island when ranking Gilmour's solo albums.
This is the only Gilmour album that sounds significantly different from all his other solo albums and the two Floyd albums that he fronted.
I generally get the disdain to the 80's sound but I totally disagree that it's presence is as dominant on this album as you guys make it sound, it has a very light presence on this album. There's more of that 80's sound on Momentary Lapse of Reason than here IMO.
It's also not as poppy y'all make it sound, to my ears anyway and I come from a progressive metal background.
These are just some first reaction thoughts. I'll be looping the album a few more times and see. But as of right now I found About Face very enjoyable.
FreeFour
Knife
Knife

Post by FreeFour »

I first listened to this album in the late 80’s and I still really like it.

I am always hopeful that David will revisit this work for inclusion in future shows.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

I gave this a re-listen recently. It's a flawed, uneven album but on reflection, it's no worse than the borefest that is In an Elevator. It's a pity he has never revisited anything from this, or David Gilmour for his live shows. Until We Sleep, Murder and Out of the Blue wouldn't sound out of place at one of his concerts. I'd also love to see him having a go at Blue Light, just to see the now 70+ Gilmour perform this with a straight face :lol:
BertWW96
Blade
Blade

Post by BertWW96 »

All of that, and yet About Face >>>>>>>> Pros And Cons.

Murder, You Know I'm Right, and Near The End are great.
Until We Sleep, All Lovers Are Deranged, Let's Get Metaphysical are damn good.
Blue Light isn't much, but at least has a killer solo (and before the pro-Waters/anti-Gilmour contingent open their mouths to bray laughter at that description, it's the same one that applies to Money and ABITW2).
Love On The Air, Out Of The Blue, and Cruise are decent enough.
A very good album.

I can only assume that the hilarity of the Blue Light video results from the fact that he had to give himself over to others professing to understand promotion.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Hogtown wrote: Fri May 22, 2009 8:07 pmSo, is "About Face" a play on words about saving face and showing Gilmour's face...or something?
From the Merriam-Webster dictionary:

Definition of about-face
1: a 180° turn to the right from the position of attention
2: a reversal of direction
3: a reversal of attitude, behavior, or point of view
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

The reggae breakdown at the end of "Cruise" came from something else he was pissing with in the studio:

https://youtu.be/a1GRapFz8kw