New/Old member with a question...

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
mark kirk
Embryo
Embryo

New/Old member with a question...

Post by mark kirk »

I haven't haunted these hallowed halls in many a year, although I do still get the NPF newsletter - which brings me to the question part of this introduction...

Yesterdays above mentioned newsletter contained a link to the new Pink Floyd / Genesis Bath and Knebworth Commemorative Set. I've been eyeballing these sets for years now with great interest but have never taking the plunge. Until yesterday that is. At this price and with what appears to be stunning contents I could not resist this time.
My question is, what exactly am I to expect to hear and see on the eight CD's and three DVD's? I click the thumbnail images only to reveal an equally tiny thumbnail image.

I'm sure there must be a thread somewhere, but I can't seem to find it... so taking the lazy man's way out seemed the easiest solution.

Thanks in advance,

Mark Kirk
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Re: New/Old member with a question...

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

1990? It was shown in TV around the time I got into the band. I had no idea about Roger leaving etc!
This link contains all sets from all the acts (Some reduced to three songs which you'd never have seen in the 70's) if you click on the bands name.

https://www.setlist.fm/festival/1990/kn ... 6ad13.html

Enjoy your boxset when you get it!
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

I have been curious for some time about the fact that Knebworth show (30 June 1990) is considered the final show of A Momentary Lapse of Reason Tour (see here).

What is this based on?
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

^^^
Agreed, it doesn't really fit, but then the stage set was reprised so I can see why it got added to the list.
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

I guess Pink Floyd management would know the ultimate answer to that one, as they either included or excluded that concert from the final tour financials.

Not directly related, but of interest - one peculiar thing about later Pink Floyd performances are occasional instances where all band members would perform the band's material live on stage together but would not officially appear as Pink Floyd.

One such occasion was Royal Albert Hall performance on 11 October 1992 for the Chelsea Arts Ball (the first gig since the Knebworth show), when they were billed as "Performance by David Gilmour, Nick Mason and Rick Wright (plus Jon Carin and Guy Pratt)" (they played "Another Brick in the Wall Part 2", "Wish You Were Here" and "Comfortably Numb").

In contrast to that, Cowdray Ruins concert (18 September 1993) was a proper Pink Floyd performance - and officially their only live gig between the last two tours, if we indeed accept Knebworth as a part of the first post-Waters tour. The short setlist was also three songs only (they played "Run Like Hell", "Wish You Were Here" and "Comfortably Numb").

Similar thing is the Barbican Hall tribute to Syd (10 May 2007). They were not billed as Pink Floyd, but as "Rick Wright, David Gilmour, Nick Mason" - so technically the Live8 performance is (still) the last and only one by Pink Floyd after The Division Bell Tour ended.

I know that these are mind-boggling, but it is not just semantics - I believe there are financial repercussions too, and this is probably the main reason why some of these are not Pink Floyd.
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

those are good points, hadrian. I've often wondered.
you could also argue that some lucky audience members saw Pink Floyd (all living members) perform outside the wall on the 1 night when Gilmour guested for Comfortably Numb (and re-joined with Mason for outside the wall) with Roger at the O2. I would tell myself that if I had been there, regardless of the billing. Even though that would be one of the songs near the bottom of my wishlist. But that's not the point.
does anyone have any info on the 2 funeral performances, steve o'rourke and richard wright. I remember reading that they performed Great gig at wright's funeral, and who was "they"? I also remember reading that Jeff Beck played a guitar solo impromptu, which is a sad closure for Wright having asked him to play with him twice (once with Floyd before Gilmour joined of course). Obviously a private moment but technically/potentially band performances as well.
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

Gilmour and Mason joining Waters on stage for "Outside the Wall" at O2 on 12 May 2011 is definitely another 'Pink Floyd non-Pink Floyd' moment (one can even argue that, in a way, this is the very first time The Final Cut line-up took the stage).

There are two more instances worth mentioning:

6 March 1996 - private function for David Gilmour's 50th birthday, Fulham Town Hall, London. Initially Aussie Floyd was performing, before David, Nick and Rick took over. I have not seen the details regarding which Pink Floyd numbers they played.

31 May 2006 - David Gilmour live at Royal Albert Hall, with Richard Wright. Nick Mason joined the two on drums for the encore ("Wish You Were Here" and "Comfortably Numb"). This encore would be the closest thing to a proper Pink Floyd concert you could buy a ticket for.

I would not count the funerals, that is just unsettling, but from what I understand Gilmour, Mason and Wright performed "Fat Old Sun" at Steve O'Rourke service in October 2003. I have not heard anything about performing at Wright's funeral.

The bottom line is - if you were lucky enough to buy the right tickets you could actually hear them live in 2005, 2006 and 2007 in a row (Live8, Royal Albert Hall, Barbican Hall - although technically speaking only the first one was billed as Pink Floyd).
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

wow I didn't know that Mason joined them at the Albert hall (not the filmed version). that's pink Floyd right there indeed. oh the tinges of regret - I had the means to go to London, just, for live 8, but figured I wouldn't get in because of the ticket raffle thing and me living in Canada. oh well I saw gilmour this last time about 10 times so made up for it I think. I've seen Roger a few times (to much less excitement) but never saw Nick or Rick... we actually attended the last shows at the RAH this time around on purpose with the ever so distant but present hope that Nick would show up. Well, we got Benedict Cumberbatch the one time... and the gents from CSN&Y
anyhow... I wouldn't not bet on a final reunion for a one-off thing before all is settled with the 3 remaining guys
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

raisemyrent wrote:I wouldn't not bet on a final reunion
Well, it is Pink Floyd, so anything is possible (who could've expected The Endless River in 2014?). Despite everything Gilmour is saying in the media, he and Mason did nothing to officially disband Pink Floyd. For example, The Beatles officially disbanded on 29 December 1974, when John Lennon finally signed dissolution documents bearing signatures of the other three in some hotel in Florida. After that, it was impossible for them to get together as The Beatles (they could still get together as John, Paul, George and Ringo of course). As long as official dissolution does not happen, and Gilmour and Mason (and Waters) are alive and well, there is a chance, albeit small.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

If memory serves, Waters was unable to dissolve the band because there had never been any creation of a legal entity called Pink Floyd, so there was nothing to be dissolved. Maybe Gilmour, Mason and Wright agreed to keep it that way?
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

Waters could not dissolve Pink Floyd on his own because Mason was also a founding member, just like him. Mason was able to prevent this by joining with Gilmour (a non-founding member, true - but the two of them together could outvote Waters on this). Waters could not strip the two of the name Pink Floyd either, because he was not the one who created it (it was Barrett; as a side note, if Barrett wanted to take away the name Pink Floyd in 1968, he would've been successful, unlike Waters much later). Waters tried to do both in court, and lost.

However there was a way for Roger Waters to get rid of Pink Floyd for good after The Final Cut - by staying in the band perpetually but simply refusing to do anything with it (no new releases, live shows, etc.). He did this initially (1983-85), but the record company contract worked against this permanent hiatus scenario. As long as he was a member of the band, the contract stipulated that he had to share revenues with Gilmour and Mason from his solo records. This is a fairly standard clause, designed to prevent band members from building solo careers while the band is under contract (understandable, because the record company signed the band - not band members individually - and they want to see the band's albums out there). This is why he resigned (left the band) in December 1985, resulting in two-member Pink Floyd (Gilmour and Mason). Once he did that, it was essentially over.
vizor
Axe
Axe

Post by vizor »

But it wasn't over. It just wasn't as good as some would have liked it.
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

It was over for Waters in terms of his attempts to end the group (he lost there and then). It was far from over for Pink Floyd, of course.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

From Wikipedia, since I can't find my copy of the Schaffner book which also stated this.

"He then went to the High Court in an effort to dissolve the band and prevent the use of the Pink Floyd name, declaring Pink Floyd "a spent force creatively."[187] When his lawyers discovered that the partnership had never been formally confirmed, Waters returned to the High Court in an attempt to obtain a veto over further use of the band's name."

So, he couldn't break up the partnership because it had never been formally created.
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

With music bands this is never the case. Having a formalized partnership in that way means having a clearly defined roles, rules and regulations within the band, on paper, including things like dissolution of partnership scenarios, and so on. Young lads who practice in someone's garage or basement (i.e. Pink Floyd in 1965) simply will not get a lawyer to put these documents together when they make a decision to start a group. While doing so would in a perfect world save them from many headaches later on, merely attempting this would almost certainly kill the band on the spot before it even starts. It would be equally awkward to bring this up later on at any normal point. These things get attention only when the shit hits the fan...

Waters lost because he could not prove in court that he is Pink Floyd, which is what he essentially tried to do (or had to do, to end the band). On the other hand, if Barrett hired lawyers to do the same in January 1968 when the other four lads decided not to pick him up for the next gig, we would be looking now at Pink Floyd historically as the band that existed shortly during the 1965-1968 period.