Which Album Would You Choose as Next Immersion Box Set?

General discussion about Pink Floyd.

Which box set would you like to see next?

1967 - Pink Floyd - Piper At The Gates of Dawn
13%
1968 - Pink Floyd - A Saucerful of Secrets
8%
1969 - Pink Floyd - Soundtrack from the Film More
No votes
1969 - Pink Floyd - Ummagumma
3%
1970 - Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother
6%
1971 - Pink Floyd - Meddle
18%
1971 - Pink Floyd - Relics
1%
1972 - Pink Floyd - Obscured by Clouds
1%
1977 - Pink Floyd - Animals
40%
1983 - Pink Floyd - The Final Cut
4%
1987 - Pink Floyd - A Momentary Lapse of Reason
2%
1994 - Pink Floyd - The Division Bell
4%

Total votes: 139

RonBaker2003
Axe
Axe

Re: Which Album Would You Choose as Next Immersion Box Set?

Post by RonBaker2003 »

I'm wondering the same thing. Universal would surely like to have some Pink Floyd product out there. We should really have boxes of "Meddle", "Atom Heart Mother", and "Animals" at least. They should probably reformat the "Piper" release from a few years back and add some more tracks to it as well. Soon. We are not getting any younger.
jambo
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by jambo »

TheFloydian1 wrote:So, now that Pink Floyd are no longer under EMI, will this lead to a new series of box sets? A re-release of the current ones, but under WMG/Parlaphone, or something completely new?

I'd wish for 5.1 remasters of the main albums and/or better packaging for the current remasters (at least true digipaks--with clear digitrays, or regular jewel cases)
For me, the Genesis 2007 re-releases are the gold standard.

Every album got a remaster, along with a 5.1 mix, interviews with the band about the recording and touring, plus archival footage of live shows and interviews.

I think if Floyd used a bit of bootleg footage again and lined it up with some soundboard recordings they could come up with some great extras.

And there are always the demo tapes and alternate takes like Yes did.
milesalbert1
Axe
Axe

Post by milesalbert1 »

Genesis do DTS and Floyd the lesser , Dolby Digital. I wish they would change.
Isntthiswherewe
Blade
Blade

Post by Isntthiswherewe »

jambo wrote:
TheFloydian1 wrote:So, now that Pink Floyd are no longer under EMI, will this lead to a new series of box sets? A re-release of the current ones, but under WMG/Parlaphone, or something completely new?

I'd wish for 5.1 remasters of the main albums and/or better packaging for the current remasters (at least true digipaks--with clear digitrays, or regular jewel cases)
For me, the Genesis 2007 re-releases are the gold standard.

Every album got a remaster, along with a 5.1 mix, interviews with the band about the recording and touring, plus archival footage of live shows and interviews.

I think if Floyd used a bit of bootleg footage again and lined it up with some soundboard recordings they could come up with some great extras.

And there are always the demo tapes and alternate takes like Yes did.

Genesis did a good job with their box sets, In Europe they were Hybrid SACD and a new stereo remix. Plus future proofed (as SACD is finished now) with a DTS 5.1 version too plus all the extras you mention. No silly marbles or scarves either.
RonToon
Blade
Blade

Post by RonToon »

Nothing new, in regards to reissues, box sets, or new Immersions are in production let alone the planning stages. This is all we get folks...
PemmicanHoosh
Axe
Axe

Post by PemmicanHoosh »

I copied this from Yeeshkul! from a thread about Adrian Maben talking at the Montreal Film Festival at the weekend. The forum member Eckoes writes:

The multitracks [to Pompeii] is indeed safe and sound. The whole 16 tracks. The band wants James Guthrie to do the remix, but he's been extremely busy on many other Pink Floyd projects for quite some time. And he's late. Pompeii will happen, but first James has allegedly a lot of things to complete first.

That sounds promising, doesn’t it? Or what else would these ‘many other’ Floyd projects be about if not future releases of the kinds of material a lot of us would be keen on hearing?
Steph22
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Steph22 »

Piper or Meddle would be the ones I'd do next.
invisible man
Embryo
Embryo

Post by invisible man »

I would love for as much pre-Dark Side era unreleased stuff to come out as possible, does't necessarily need to be tied to album reissues.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

As much as I love Saucerful... the most of all PF albums, I think whether Animals or Meddle are more interesting. Went with Meddle because it's more variable and adventurous than Animals, despite my personal preference to the latter.

After that - Animals, then Piper and Pompeii (great idea!).
BertWW96
Blade
Blade

Post by BertWW96 »

PemmicanHoosh wrote:I have a lovely book of Leonardo Da Vinci drawings...
Might this be the Folio Society set? I've had my eyes on that...
BertWW96
Blade
Blade

Post by BertWW96 »

Viva Ze Bool wrote:I've not bought the immersion stuff and there is a guy on youtube that has had the presence of mind to film himself opening the sets (I forget his name but worth searching for - his quote "Considering the price of this, Roger Waters should come round to your house and wrist you off" had me in stiches)...
Sounds a bit like Darren Lock, who I agree is amusing and worth looking up. The camera is always steady, sound always good, and he knows loads about the music; even if you disagree with his tastes, he gives useful context etc. and you know what you're getting (from a box set etc.).
Vegetable Layne
Axe
Axe

Post by Vegetable Layne »

You know, The Division Bell's 20th anniversary basically looks and IS the Immersion version, and TER is basically disc 2 to that album, with all the stuff they had recorded finalized and released. So we kinda have the Immersion Box Set of TDB, really.

I'd personally choose Saucerful, to finally have all the Syd-related 1967-68 stuff from post-Piper released on one box set. I'm almost positive Nick Mason wanted this but Dave and Roger might've blocked him from it.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

I doubt we'll get many Immersion boxes now as the huge box and separate disc version of their history leaves very little left of interest.
I'd still like it to be Atom Heart Mother Immersion. And as I can hear a little tiny bit of than on The Endless River I regard it a more complete album and ending than second disc of TDB.
That's why it's Pink Floyd fandom!
vizor
Axe
Axe

Post by vizor »

I bet they can find some creative ways of boxing The Endless River. It would be like an orgasmic spasm to the ending of Pink Floyd. Make it sonic, bring in more pieces of Rick, and include a lenticular screen toy that is geometric instead of organic.....

Make it all trippy.
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

I would be very surprised to see another Immersion set. From various interviews over the years it is very clear that Gilmour, Mason and Wright consider[ed] only The Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here and The Wall as the band's great classic albums. With Waters things are even worse - with him it is only The Dark Side of the Moon and The Wall.

There are still some things in the vaults that they could treat us with, however. The Division Bell 20 box should have included La Carrera Panamericana soundtrack imo, new music of course (doing this wouldn't have interfered with The Endless River at all).