Pink Floyd - Piper at the Gates of Dawn

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate This Album

5 - Best
54%
27%
11%
6%
1 - Worst
2%

Total votes: 105

Wish_You_Were_Beer
Embryo
Embryo

Re: Pink Floyd - Piper at the Gates of Dawn

Post by Wish_You_Were_Beer »

Absolutely AMAZING start for one of the best bands of all time. The genius (and madness) of Syd Barrett was immense, and it shows in this record. I like every song on the album, yes, even The Scarecrow and Interstellar Overdrive. Astronomy Domine is a great start, very spacey. Lucifer Sam is like a cross between James Bond and Hell. Matilda Mother is a cool story-telling song with a very interesting organ solo in the Phrygian mode. Flaming is great and very psychedelic. Pow R. Toc H., has some cool beatboxing and a great piano part. Take Up Thy Stethoscope And Walk is a crazy, fast tempo song. Interstellar Overdrive begins and ends with a cool riff, with the middle being some inspired improvisation. The Gnome has the most hilarious lyrics of all time. Chapter 24 makes some cool references to Chinese mythology. The Scarecrow is probably my least favorite from the album, but its still a good song. Bike is a great twist on the classic love song, with a carnival sound to it and a musique concrete section at the end.
jtull
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by jtull »

The Scarecrow is my favorite song on the Piper at the Gates of Dawn album. 8)
A Syd Casualty
Axe
Axe

Post by A Syd Casualty »

I love it, especially Astronomy Domine, Matilda Mother, Chapter 24 and Flaming.

Record Store Day reissue:

http://teamrock.com/news/2018-03-06/pin ... ay-reissue
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by theaussiefloydian »

A Syd Casualty wrote:I love it, especially Astronomy Domine, Matilda Mother, Chapter 24 and Flaming.

Record Store Day reissue:

http://teamrock.com/news/2018-03-06/pin ... ay-reissue
Just bought that this afternoon after my exams - after suffering through a Physics final, I decided I was going to treat myself! Haven't played it yet though.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

It's unbelievable how I keep on rediscovering 'The Piper at the Gates of Dawn' over and over again.
The straight mono mix, the psychedelic stereo mix - I just can't get enough of listening.

For me, 'The Dark Side of the Moon' (1973) fails in comparison... :twisted: ;)
The introduction of 'Time' sounds to me like the "musical room" at the end of 'Bike'.
'The Great Gig in the Sky'? 'Pow R. Toc H.'!

And did Gilmour ever do a riff like Barrett's 'Interstellar Overdrive'?
The stereo mix with the left-right effect at the end, before landing between gnomes ('The Gnome'), is one of Pink Floyd's ultimate highlights for me.

Maybe coincidentally, the first two albums 'The Piper' and 'A Saucerful of Secrets' are my among my first acquaintance with Pink Floyd, at 13 years old, 1986. A friend copying 'A Nice Pair' on compact cassette for me. Listening it on my Sony Walkman, taking my first steps into getting addicted to nicotine...
If I'm not mistaken, I've heard (and enjoyed) 'The Final Cut' before 'The Wall'. Not knowing much about Pink Floyd members, before I soon bought an edition of 'Pink Floyd: A visual documentary by Miles' (with the exploding wall on the cover).

space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

^^^

Great cover with that exploding wall! I have this edition: Pink Floyd - The Visual Documentary By Miles & Andy Mabbett.

Eclipse

Post by Eclipse »

This album has really grown in me lately, so I remove any stupid things I may have said about it in the past.
Amazing album!!
rockfenris2005
Axe
Axe

Post by rockfenris2005 »

My CD copies of this always sound so amazing to listen to, but then suddenly there's this drop off in sound quality when you get to ASOS. Bear in mind, I'm listening to the Oh By The Way set from 2010, and maybe it sounds better in the newer issues, but it always feels slightly jarring to me. The sound just doesn't pop the way Piper does.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

Could 'Lucifer Sam' be inspired by the 13th Floor Elevators?

13th Floor Elevators - Roller Coaster (1966) (mono)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lt6sT_nX5Ic

The guitar riffs in the intros sound very similar to me.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

Pink Floyd at Delia Derbyshire's workshop watching the prototype VCS3 being developed.

Rick's thinking: They'll still need people to press the keys they'll still need people to press-
Nick's thinking: Good God, what the hell is going on?
Syd's thinking: Shiiiiiit my guitar career's now useless...
Roger's thinking: WELCOME MY SON 2,3,4 WELCOME TOOOOO THE MAAAACHIIINNNNNNNNEEE!!!
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by theaussiefloydian »

Jimi Dean Barrett wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:59 pm Pink Floyd at Delia Derbyshire's workshop watching the prototype VCS3 being developed.
I find this a nice little "in real life" connection, as Delia Derbyshire wrote the theme for Doctor Who that the band would end up referencing on "One of These Days".
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Jimi Dean Barrett wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:59 pmPink Floyd at Delia Derbyshire's workshop watching the prototype VCS3 being developed.
The band did visit the BBC Radiophonic Workshop in '67 (Delia rode there with them in the taxi!), but the VCS3 prototype wasn't built until 1969, though Gilmour did visit the EMS facility in Putney to see it. He stayed in touch with Peter Zinovieff and engineer David Cockerell - which is particularly interesting because Cockerell went to work for Electro-Harmonix in the mid-'70s, and actually designed a lot of the pedals that ended up in Gilmour's custom pedal board in the late '70s. While he didn't get much use out of the "very, very expensive" Synthi Hi-Fli prototype that he bought in '72, a number of its features became standalone effects, like the EHX Small Stone phaser that he used on David Gilmour and The Final Cut.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

theaussiefloydian wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:54 pm
Jimi Dean Barrett wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:59 pm Pink Floyd at Delia Derbyshire's workshop watching the prototype VCS3 being developed.
I find this a nice little "in real life" connection, as Delia Derbyshire wrote the theme for Doctor Who that the band would end up referencing on "One of These Days".
And even in 1969, a project she was involved with paid tribute to the Saucerful of Secrets drumming on "An Electric Storm" by White Noise
6.21 still brings tears to my eyes at the magnificence of it. If no headphones, play it aloud!

https://youtu.be/uwQyO0yA3fo
Arnold Lane
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Arnold Lane »

If I'd been reading this 15 years ago I'd have given it a 1 . I remember the 1st time I heard it I was on the floor laughing thinking WTF is this shit . Couldn't believe it was Pink Floyd to be honest Never listened to any Barrett era stuff again until quite recently .
Even went through a phase a few years later listening to all the psychedelic 60s music and did a couple of mushroom trips . Still barrett passed me by .
God knows how but got to listening to Piper and his solo albums in lockdown and its is now up there with my all time favourite albums . It's rough , disjointed , absurd , all over the place , sloppy . I love it though . It's pretty far from Floyd's best most polished work for sure , but I enjoy listening to it over the more celebrated albums . I give it 5
Master_Chief
Blade
Blade

Post by Master_Chief »

Just had an email come through from What Records alerting me to an imminent release of this album in remastered mono.
The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn. The classic 1967 album remastered in 2017 from the original MONO analogue tapes by James Guthrie, Joel Plante and Bernie Grundman, issued on heavyweight 180 gram vinyl.

£15.99 and out on March 4th.

https://www.whatrecords.co.uk/items/the ... /99930.htm