New/Old member with a question...

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
vizor
Axe
Axe

Re: New/Old member with a question...

Post by vizor »

My impression at the time was that the name of Pink Floyd was never officially registered and therefore Roger could not say the name could no longer be used. This gave Dave and Nick the chance to register it as official. The shadow implication of this being that Rick was not an official member of Pink Floyd. The setup was to keep Roger out so they could bring Rick back into the band.

It is not likely that if Roger and Nick are the last two standing, that Roger could be considered "brought back" into the band by Nick. This being stated as lasting wishes in David's estate, and perhaps as a final Fuk U to Roger, also in Rick's estate. Furthermore, this last factor, I have a feeling, is why we don't see any official releases of stuff we'd really like to have.
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

Waters left the band in December 1985 because he genuinely believed that Gilmour and Mason were not capable of doing anything on their own. It is one of those music business blunders that should be studied as a textbook example of what not to do.

The registration of the name can happen at any time, but it is not a simple race to the finish line and whoever is there first gets it. Registration can be challenged, which is what Waters tried in court after he left the band.

Nick Mason is now my favorite Pink Floyd member, because he is the only one still willing to do something with it all. When Gilmour effectively retired the band at the end of The Division Bell Tour, he was only 48 years old. Retiring before 50 is a dream of many, but I share Nick Mason's view that they could've given us 30 more years of Pink Floyd after that, just like the Stones (why not?) \:D/
GlastoEls
Embryo
Embryo

Post by GlastoEls »

Hadrian wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:14 pm31 May 2006 - David Gilmour live at Royal Albert Hall, with Richard Wright. Nick Mason joined the two on drums for the encore ("Wish You Were Here" and "Comfortably Numb"). This encore would be the closest thing to a proper Pink Floyd concert you could buy a ticket for.
Does any footage of that 2006 Albert Hall Nick Mason encore exist - or even a picture?

(I was there!)
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

I know audio of those 2 songs exists and they did pro shot film it but it has not been released. As far as i am aware no audience-shot footage has surfaced or was filmed
GlastoEls
Embryo
Embryo

Post by GlastoEls »

azza200 wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:34 am I know audio of those 2 songs exists and they did pro shot film it but it has not been released. As far as i am aware no audience-shot footage has surfaced or was filmed
Thank you very much - I appreciate that.

I guess it was the pre-iPhone days!