Remastered - Reissued - Remixed - Regurgitated

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
moodyblue
Hammer
Hammer

Remastered - Reissued - Remixed - Regurgitated

Post by moodyblue »

Anybody as cynical as me on this?
It seems to be a favourite of the record companies in recent years by offering the long fleeced music fan a different take on classic artists and their products.
Kate Bush is the latest to have her back catalogue remastered. The first in a series of her earlier albums retails around £59 whilst the second instalment comes in at a hefty £99.
Now part of me is interested in what they put out but part of me is very cynical at how these artists continually find ways of churning out their back catalogue in slightly different formats at an exorbitant cost.
If one has all the albums/cd's then would one then simply throw away the first issues in favour of the newer versions? It has taken me years and years of collecting to amass what I have let alone the cost of doing so. Lloyds of London may well be interested in how much they might make by insuring what I have who knows.
Of course it takes an artist quite a lot of capital outlay in order to make their album but many of them have more than covered their costs over the years only to now repush their wares at vastly inflated prices. Capitalism in music like everything else does not escape the opportunity for making mega bucks out of fans the world over. I swear it wasn't meant to be that way once!
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Remastered - Reissued - Remixed - Regurgitated

Post by theaussiefloydian »

I can see how one might become jaded/cynical towards this sort of behaviour - a lot of the time it seems rather redundant. The one exception I have with that is the Beatles remixes hitting the stores these days - I have always felt that those albums sorely needed a remix (no disrespect to George Martin of course, but the hard panning that was prevalent on those albums can be distracting). I'm glad that they're getting around to it, and I hope that continues.
DarkSideFreak
Knife
Knife

Post by DarkSideFreak »

Not sure Kate is the best example for this, since people have clamored for reissues of her albums for years on SuperDeluxeEdition.com

And personally, if you give me a nicely compiled, not bloated, well-mastered (or well-mixed) reissue, I won't complain.

What annoys me is the overpriced and underthought items. Like the Rush boxes, or Roger's Wall Live monstrosity. Worst thing is if you're paying for a sound that's worse (usually overcompressed) than the original, just to get extras.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

One weird thing about remasters. I bought the Wish You Were Here. An album obviously known as the back of my hand (or your hand) first time I heard it the sounds kept warping. I thought "Ah! All that money and I get the dud version!".
Guitars, vocals, drumming! Everything began to warp.
Listened to it afterwards to prove it was defective and... No warp! Everything sounded as it should.
What is that? Is it our memories clashing with how it actually sounds? So I'm interested in more remastering of albums I know just for the experience of hearing it sound all wrong on first listen .
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

I hope Deep Purple In Rock gets a proper mix. It's a great album by one of my most favorite bands, but some tracks suffer from a demo-like sound quality, used for god knows what reason. Roger Glover remixed Black Night for the album's 25th jubilee, but why not the full album!?
DarkSideFreak
Knife
Knife

Post by DarkSideFreak »

moom wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:04 pm I hope Deep Purple In Rock gets a proper mix. It's a great album by one of my most favorite bands, but some tracks suffer from a demo-like sound quality, used for god knows what reason. Roger Glover remixed Black Night for the album's 25th jubilee, but why not the full album!?
Agree! That remix of Black Night was a revelation - finally you could tell the guitar and organ apart... there were some more remixes on that CD (Speed King) but with not quite as stellar results, as I felt the vocals were too far back in the mix.

It's also worth pointing out that Andy Pearce managed to do the unthinkable and actually made the original mix of Black Night sound quite listenable on that recent compilation A Fire in the Sky. If they coupled an entire new remaster with a completely new remix of the album, I'd buy it.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

DarkSideFreak wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:22 am

It's also worth pointing out that Andy Pearce managed to do the unthinkable and actually made the original mix of Black Night sound quite listenable on that recent compilation A Fire in the Sky. If they coupled an entire new remaster with a completely new remix of the album, I'd buy it.
Thanks, me too :)

I wonder if:

1. The Black Night remix had some newer instrumentation
2. The remaining tracks' master tracks are available. Glover and Hughes remixed other albums in full (yay :))
DarkSideFreak
Knife
Knife

Post by DarkSideFreak »

moom wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:30 am I wonder if:

1. The Black Night remix had some newer instrumentation
2. The remaining tracks' master tracks are available. Glover and Hughes remixed other albums in full (yay :))
1. I don't think so. Admittedly it's been a while since I listened, but I'm currently re-listening to all my DP stuff, so I'll check soon.
2. Wouldn't rule it out. After all the CD was pretty full and if they had had a double CD available, they might have remixed the entire album.