Pink Floyd Live at Pompeii

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate this Video/DVD

5 - Best
83%
10%
8%
No votes
1 - Worst
No votes

Total votes: 52

drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Pink Floyd Live at Pompeii

Post by drafsack »

Putting this into context I saw this in a cinema in 75/76 and was blown away seeing it on a 60 foot screen. And although some say it was a missed opportunity it is a lot better than 'The song remains the same' which is a concert footage film
phuzzyday
Embryo
Embryo

Post by phuzzyday »

Hi all.

I just registered to ask about this!!

So, from my understanding, the quad audio version of this show was only shown in a few select theaters, and then QUAD mix was virtually lost. I don't know if that's true.

I've found an interesting bootleg, and my intention is to follow the rules here, but I would like to know if this is a big deal or not!

It must have been from the DVD source, but it's 1080p. Up scaled I guess.
But the big thing, is that it has the FOUR CHANNEL QUAD sound track on it. And it sounds INCREDIBLE!!!! The notes re:the audio refer to some guys finding a reel of the original film with quad.

Have I found something interesting? Or does everyone know about this already? I figure you guys will know the truth.

Just curious..
PD
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

Hi

There was a laser disc version with 6.1 surround a sound doing the rounds in the late 90's so that could have been the source. I never bought it but I did hear it being played in a Sony shop and it was stunning
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

^^^
The laserdisc versions of Pink Floyd material pop up quite regularly on eBay but you sometimes have to look specifically on eBay.it etc ... I have no hardware to play such discs but would be interested in a DVD with a 4.0 or 5.1 soundtrack.
DarkSideFreak
Knife
Knife

Post by DarkSideFreak »

JanVanCau wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:09 pm I'm listening to the audio mix on the Early Years 1972 Obfusc/ation album on Spotify, and there is a lot of 'static' (I don't know if that's the right word) on the loud parts of Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun.

Is that also the case on the cd?
Yep.

Not a big fan of Pompeii myself, too. I think virtually all the live material that's been released on the Early Years sets, plus Ummagumma, sound better... they had been moving onto more melodic musical ideas, but for some reason stuck with mostly old stuff for the movie, and you can sense that they had grown a bit bored of those tracks...
ledzep30513
Embryo
Embryo

Post by ledzep30513 »

phuzzyday wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:10 am Hi all.

I just registered to ask about this!!

So, from my understanding, the quad audio version of this show was only shown in a few select theaters, and then QUAD mix was virtually lost. I don't know if that's true.

I've found an interesting bootleg, and my intention is to follow the rules here, but I would like to know if this is a big deal or not!

It must have been from the DVD source, but it's 1080p. Up scaled I guess.
But the big thing, is that it has the FOUR CHANNEL QUAD sound track on it. And it sounds INCREDIBLE!!!! The notes re:the audio refer to some guys finding a reel of the original film with quad.

Have I found something interesting? Or does everyone know about this already? I figure you guys will know the truth.

Just curious..
PD
Has anyone seen this version he refers to? Or has anyone a link to it? Or has anyone an audio only capture from it?
That they could share?
Thanks, Jim
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

The people who did it several years ago and that bootleg is from what i have been told is the best sounding version of it. I have not seen it or heard it myself but it is the best version of Pompeii out their as the mix is really good and clear. Yes the notes are true
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

8)

azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

haha yep same for me too
AthousandMilesOfMoonlight
Blade
Blade

Post by AthousandMilesOfMoonlight »

They should have done Herculaneum instead, better acoustics!
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

Just curious....does enyone have this? Live in Pompeii 2X LP COLOR (2014)