When did you discover Pink Floyd and what are some of your favourite memories of the band?

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

When did you discover Pink Floyd and what are some of your favourite memories of the band?

Post by Keith Jordan »

I discovered Pink Floyd whilst sat in my brother's car in North Wales in the late 1990s! The first song I remember was Wish You Were Here from the PULSE live album and remember thinking the guitar sound (80s lots of reverb) sounded absolutely amazing. I have never looked back!

Nicola54
Embryo
Embryo

Re: When did you discover Pink Floyd and what are some of your favourite memories of the band?

Post by Nicola54 »

Hi. I discovered Pink Floyd in 1971. I was listening to a radio program, I don’t remember which one anymore. The announcer announced the song ECHOES from the album MEDDLE and since then a love was born that has not yet ended.
FreeFour
Knife
Knife

Re: When did you discover Pink Floyd and what are some of your favourite memories of the band?

Post by FreeFour »

First discovery was 1979 at school singing we don’t need no education in the playground ! Was only young at the time and years later, would have been around 86/87 when the local pub had a CD juke box installed and included The Wall album.

This followed a year or so later with seeing the Learning To Fly video played on a TV in a pub and I think it was from that point that I started discovering this vast back catalogue of strange album covers and unusual album titles !
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

I first heard them in 1973. My friends dad would play dark side all of the time and what struck me was the alarms at the beginning of Time. My favorite memory of the band was hearing the opening chords to raving and drooling when I first saw them in 1974. As a side note two of the funniest Floyd related incidents: I used to share my bedroom with my two brothers and I used to have a small record player by the side of my bed. One night I was playing the Animals album and it got to the end of Sheep and the sheep were baaing at this point one of my brothers shot out of bed stuck his head out of the window and announced to me and my other brother that there were sheep in the garden. Also we were driving away from earls court after watching one of the wall shows and saw two kids running down the road carrying a brick they had nicked off of the stage
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by theaussiefloydian »

My discovery of Pink Floyd was a slow process. It began when I was very little, having picked up my mother's copy of The Division Bell and being somewhat perturbed by the face that was staring back at me. I put it down and didn't think much of it.
Then when we moved to Canada my mum bought a new copy of The Dark Side of the Moon, and she played it once on a car trip we took down to a museum. My awareness of the music didn't really start until "Money" started playing, and I knew that I liked that song. Repeat listenings of Dark Side in the car woke up my interest, but my full blown obsession began when my mum got a new record player. She had a copy of Wish You Were Here, so I put that on the turntable and listened, amazed at how different it was from Dark Side and yet was obviously the same band. My most vivid memory of an experience with Pink Floyd was when The Endless River came out. I was quite an overemotional teenager at the time, so the first time I listened to the first track I was smacked in the face with emotions and I think I damn nearly cried.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

Wait, Keith, I discovered PF before you did :) Wow. I mean, you're a guru of NPF.

We had a summer house with a VHS player. A specific cassette had lots of music videos, but the two videos I was really... MEZMERIZED BY... were Big Time by Peter Gabriel and Floyd's Brick, part deux. And it wasn't the official video clip, no, it was a cutout from the movie :)
I had nnnnnnNO idea what Music was, but jee, I was glued to the screen during those two videos! Well, that was very early 90s and I was just a 5-6-year-old, faaaar away from UKs and USAs, only knowing "yes" and "no" in English, repeating them in random order to pretend speaking English, what do you expect from a kid like that to know about Music!? :lol:

FreeFour, you were one of THE kids? OHHHHH BOOOOOYYYYY!!!! :D Oh wait... Playground, not background or playback... Okay xD
Well, your parents weren't worried about your college money :)
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

I remember hearing, in the summer/autumn of 1973, occasional tracks from Dark Side of The Moon played on Radio 1 ... the album title stuck in my mind. Two years later in autumn 1975 Alan 'Fluff' Freeman would, my memory suggests, play great sections of Wish You Were Here and I was hooked. I had off-air portable cassette recordings of tracks from WYWH and for years (until I purchased the album) through the track listing was different. I purchased Animals when it came out on a cold January day and my parents wondered, I was living at home, what on earth I was listening to on the family record player. I purchased The Wall on the day it came out and listened to it back-to-back for hours. Booked to see the Earl's Court show and sat three rows behind and three seats away from Kate Bush. I caught the last train home back to Somerset leaving Paddington after midnight and got to Taunton and started to hitch a lift home. I got picked up by a security patrol as they thought I was an escapee from a "secure hospital" ... the driver knew my dad and gave me a lift almost home.

Lots of other memories and adventures including the overland coach trip to Berlin, via Hannover, for the Roger Waters all-star event, plus several other overseas trips to see Roger, David and Nick as part of their solo tours.
FreeFour
Knife
Knife

Post by FreeFour »

moom wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:27 pm Wait, Keith, I discovered PF before you did :) Wow. I mean, you're a guru of NPF.

We had a summer house with a VHS player. A specific cassette had lots of music videos, but the two videos I was really... MEZMERIZED BY... were Big Time by Peter Gabriel and Floyd's Brick, part deux. And it wasn't the official video clip, no, it was a cutout from the movie :)
I had nnnnnnNO idea what Music was, but jee, I was glued to the screen during those two videos! Well, that was very early 90s and I was just a 5-6-year-old, faaaar away from UKs and USAs, only knowing "yes" and "no" in English, repeating them in random order to pretend speaking English, what do you expect from a kid like that to know about Music!? :lol:

FreeFour, you were one of THE kids? OHHHHH BOOOOOYYYYY!!!! :D Oh wait... Playground, not background or playback... Okay xD
Well, your parents weren't worried about your college money :)
@Moom I wish I had of been in the video, it would have made more for a much more interesting story!, just another fan and I don’t think I got the true meaning back in 79 as I was only 8 and just happy to rebelling in the playground !
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

We all wish, don't we :)

I wonder what happened to those kids... Has anyone spoken up?
EarlsFloyd
Axe
Axe

Post by EarlsFloyd »

I discover PF in September of 2016, and the first video/song i listen/watch to was Run Like Hell (Live) (1980-81)
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by moom »

Oh, and we also had the Soviet pressing of Delicate Sound Of Thunder. One time I dressed almost exactly like that lightbulb man for a school music talent show - I cut out paper in shape of those bulbs 8) :lol:
ClapHillRoadGang
Embryo
Embryo

Post by ClapHillRoadGang »

My life changed the moment I saw them in 1975 at Nassau Coliseum. That was the epiphany of epiphanies for me.
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

1973 ish, Dark Side on Radio 1 (and then at home), The Wall at Earl's Court and one of the most memorable simply because of getting there was the Roger Waters 'solo' all-star event in Berlin when the wall came down.

:)
mabewa
Axe
Axe

Post by mabewa »

I discovered PF around 1980, when I was in 7th grade. Another Brick in the Wall was on the radio, and it made a big impression on kids my page. Of course, I thought 'Pink Floyd' was a weird guy. Then, my friend Mike, one year older than me used to play 'The Wall' on his ghetto blaster at recess, and he would sing loudly 'Mother do you think they'll try to break... my balls,' and that made an impression on me. So I got The Wall. After that, another friend's dad started playing DSotM for us, and talking about how we should listen to 'Time' because that's how our lives will be. It kind of went on from there. I think I got into the Syd stuff next.
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

For me, with two older brothers, I have no idea how I first discovered Floyd. It disappears into the mist of youth.

My favourite memory was having an LP of Relics and playing it over and over.