No Roger No Floyd!!

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Re: No Roger No Floyd!!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

I'd say the four man Floyd died after Wish You Were Here. Roger took over which is why Animals sounds like a Floyd band album Roger nicked the words and music credits. The Wall was complete Waters more or less.
I think there was just a breakdown in command in the group. Roger at least should have backed off a bit on writing all the lyrics as that would encourage Rick to take more interest and have the best parts of Wet Dream onto a mythical Pink Floyd album that doesn't exist.
But it happened, there's nothing we can do. It's just how I feel. I love The Wall but as a four piece band it isn't 1975 Pink Floyd.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

Wouldn't be fair to say that when it came to writing the songs the others brought very little to the table. if we waited for David and Rick to write an albums worth of material we would still be waiting for an album
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

"Terrible taste in music" was said about guys who wrote as much early-to-mid70s Floyd material as Roger and added a fair bit every once in a while later on. Lest we forget Animals material had begun being worked at before WYWH. And if you mean their taste purely after Roger's exit, well, Roger wasn't world's apart, in my opinion (KAOS, anyone?).
It just wasn't old-school Floyd anymore, just like, by the way, after Syd left - artists change. It's not like Coldplay's last three albums on which I only hear Chris Martins' ideas.
Vegetable Layne
Axe
Axe

Post by Vegetable Layne »

Some things that need saying:

Roger couldn't force or actually enourage Rick to do any more writing than Rick was ever actually going to do on his own. He already had material enough for a solo album, so there was some stuff brewing within him. Same case with Dave, and even more so with Nick.

Floyd was, for all intends and purposes, Floyd after Roger left. If Dave, Nick and Rick wanted the name to carry, it was their right, because they were there all the way. Its not like the band started by Roger or something. Beyond that, its the quality of the albums themselves, and on that basis, it is fair to say that AMLOR lacks a lot of Floyd's collaborative spirit that was present in even the Wall, which is still definitlvey a Floyd album (just as the Division Bell is also definitively one).
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

For me the biggest flaw with the whole Roger Waters = Pink Floyd argument is the nature of Roger's solo albums after he leaves the band.

If you look at his solo output, the only thing that could actually be a proper Pink Floyd album is The Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking (and no surprise there, since the song cycle was conceived back in 1978, and even recorded, released and toured while he was still in the band).

The rest (Radio K.A.O.S., Amused to Death, Is This the Life We Really Want?) is both thematically and to a large extent musically quite remote from Pink Floyd. I have those albums, and I respect them for what they are, but I cannot really imagine them as Pink Floyd albums - they are 100% Roger Waters.

So it is really a mix of things that makes Pink Floyd.
flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by flashback »

Horse shit,this is like saying everything after Syd wan't PF.As we all well know the best of PF came after Syd.Now if you so choose to say everything after Roger wasn't PF that's your right and opinion but that doesn't mean it's true.As I have always said PF was greater than the sum of it's parts.They did thier greatest work together,Roger seems to have lost sight of that even after 35 years.Sad really that they can't let it go,and everyone else as well.If you don't like what came after Roger that's your right but I happen to like some of what came after.True that is not has good as what could have been if Roger had let his ego go and tried to work with them but alas that is not what happened.So we have to live with what was and what will be.IMHO
EarlsFloyd
Axe
Axe

Post by EarlsFloyd »

flashback wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:48 pm Horse shit,this is like saying everything after Syd wan't PF.As we all well know the best of PF came after Syd.Now if you so choose to say everything after Roger wasn't PF that's your right and opinion but that doesn't mean it's true.As I have always said PF was greater than the sum of it's parts.They did thier greatest work together,Roger seems to have lost sight of that even after 35 years.Sad really that they can't let it go,and everyone else as well.If you don't like what came after Roger that's your right but I happen to like some of what came after.True that is not has good as what could have been if Roger had let his ego go and tried to work with them but alas that is not what happened.So we have to live with what was and what will be.IMHO
C a l m D o w n
EarlsFloyd
Axe
Axe

Post by EarlsFloyd »

drafsack wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:02 pm Wouldn't be fair to say that when it came to writing the songs the others brought very little to the table. if we waited for David and Rick to write an albums worth of material we would still be waiting for an album
You're right
Last edited by snifferdog on Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EarlsFloyd
Axe
Axe

Post by EarlsFloyd »

Hadrian wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:40 pm For me the biggest flaw with the whole Roger Waters = Pink Floyd argument is the nature of Roger's solo albums after he leaves the band.

If you look at his solo output, the only thing that could actually be a proper Pink Floyd album is The Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking (and no surprise there, since the song cycle was conceived back in 1978, and even recorded, released and toured while he was still in the band).

The rest (Radio K.A.O.S., Amused to Death, Is This the Life We Really Want?) is both thematically and to a large extent musically quite remote from Pink Floyd. I have those albums, and I respect them for what they are, but I cannot really imagine them as Pink Floyd albums - they are 100% Roger Waters.

I respect your Opinion, Roger Waters has good songs like Sexual Revolution and Tide Is Turning
flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by flashback »

hey I'm calm.Was pointing out PF was not Roger or Syd or any 1 member.It was a collection of all it's members.They all brought something to the table in some form,be it lyrics or music.PF was greater than the sum of it's parts.
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

Waters has some great songs on his solo albums, no question there.

For me the ultimate Pink Floyd track is "Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun", because the studio version released on A Saucerful of Secrets in 1968 is the only one in the entire catalogue that has all 5 members playing on it. (on that note: I suspect that we will hear/see another live version of that in 2019, due to Waters' guest appearance on one of Mason's ongoing shows)

I agree with the sum of parts observation, Pink Floyd is really about the synergy of elements. For me even the reduction of the band from 5 to 2 members is not an issue in itself, as long as the synergy continues. With Gilmour and Mason it is complicated because Mason is unfortunately not a composer and/or a songwriter - but he has always been full of ideas, he has an excellent ability to recognize what is or how to make something Pink Floyd, and even now at this late stage he could influence what Gilmour brings to the table in the proper direction if Gilmour wanted more Pink Floyd stuff out there.
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

EarlsFloyd wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:01 am
Hadrian wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:40 pm For me the biggest flaw with the whole Roger Waters = Pink Floyd argument is the nature of Roger's solo albums after he leaves the band.

I respect your Opinion, Roger Waters has good songs like Sexual Revolution and Tide Is Turning
and Post Waters Floyd has good songs like Learning To Fly, On The Turning Away, Sorrow, Yet Another Movie, High Hopes, Keep Talking, Wearing The Inside Out
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

azza200 wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:09 pm post-Waters Floyd has good songs
Yes, and many continued to grow and developed on live tours, not only Pink Floyd's, but also later on on Gilmour's solo tours.

One example is "High Hopes" from Remember That Night concert video. That acoustic guitar ending brights tears to my eyes.
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

Hadrian wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:15 pm ... the ultimate Pink Floyd track is "Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun", because the studio version released on A Saucerful of Secrets in 1968 is the only one in the entire catalogue that has all 5 members playing on it. (on that note: I suspect that we will hear/see another live version of that in 2019, due to Waters' guest appearance on one of Mason's ongoing shows)
Fingers, toes but not eyes-crossed that I am at that show ... [-D-]
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

To be frank, I consider the On An Island tour Floyd redux.