Pink Floyd Has Lost Cred?

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Pink Floyd Has Lost Cred?

Post by Hadrian »

Any bad health surprises or accidents notwithstanding, I think they should pull Robert Redford and gracefully retire both collectively and individually at the moment when they turn 80. I have no doubt that Waters' ongoing tour is indeed his last, although there might be some occasional festival appearances still left after that. Same for Mason. Gilmour will probably have one more solo album and his typical short tour for it.
DarkSideFreak
Knife
Knife

Post by DarkSideFreak »

azza200 wrote:The original plan was to include "The Endless River" album as an extra with 20th anniversary TDB releases but the record company decided to make it a separate album instead David & Nick had no influence in that decision.
I'm pretty sure this is factually wrong. They would never have spent that amount of time on something that was simply thrown in as an extra.
Hadrian wrote:When I think about David, Rick and Nick together (or even just David and Nick, or David and Rick for those barn sessions etc.), I think about the instrumental parts of "Shine On". They should've focused on that kind of thing, let that aspect fully shine after 1985 \:D/.

Concepts and narratives are Roger Waters. You still get that on his solo albums after 1985, but with music sucked out of the equation and all of it becoming highly daily-political (instead of universal and timeless, like it was on The Dark Side).
This is certainly something that TDB was starting out as. Andy Jackson really wanted them to persevere, but I think they eventually decided to go back to a more traditional song format - although several of the TDB songs did get borne out of jams, WDYWFM and Keep Talking being probably the most obvious examples. A similar thing happened when some of what Phil Manzanera had compiled for the initial drafts of The Endless River was deemed unsuitable because Gilmour and Mason thought it was too wild and out-there. :?

As for retiring, Nick was in great form the night I saw him...
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

Nick Mason is in great shape indeed.

Also, Nick Mason's Saucerful Of Secrets tour is a great idea - and it could've been a legendary one if Gilmour wasn't such a retiree by choice now. That whole thing could've been a Pink Floyd tour for 2018, something different and fun to do - Gilmour and Mason, together with their 1987-1994 tour band (Guy Pratt and the gang), playing 1967-68 material only (first two albums and related singles) in small venues. They could've even proclaimed the tour as a direct continuation/additional dates of their very first World Tour 1968 (17 February - 28 December 1968) 50 years later :D, and go into history books for the marketing trick. Finally, the boys could've persuaded Waters to return the 2011 favor for his The Wall tour and join Pink Floyd for one special night (and subsequent concert video release, when all is over and done) to play "Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun" with the band, something he wouldn't even have to relearn. Finally the tour would've been a great way to honour both Barrett and Wright, since the 1967-68 catalogue features their songs.
Rooster1
Axe
Axe

Post by Rooster1 »

Hadrian wrote:Nick Mason is in great shape indeed.

Also, Nick Mason's Saucerful Of Secrets tour is a great idea - and it could've been a legendary one if Gilmour wasn't such a retiree by choice now. That whole thing could've been a Pink Floyd tour for 2018, something different and fun to do - Gilmour and Mason, together with their 1987-1994 tour band (Guy Pratt and the gang), playing 1967-68 material only (first two albums and related singles) in small venues. They could've even proclaimed the tour as a direct continuation/additional dates of their very first World Tour 1968 (17 February - 28 December 1968) 50 years later :D, and go into history books for the marketing trick. Finally, the boys could've persuaded Waters to return the 2011 favor for his The Wall tour and join Pink Floyd for one special night (and subsequent concert video release, when all is over and done) to play "Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun" with the band, something he wouldn't even have to relearn. Finally the tour would've been a great way to honour both Barrett and Wright, since the 1967-68 catalogue features their songs.
Hear hear. I'd like to imagine if Gilmour had joined the tour then it would have rekindled his love for the early experimental sound and they'd take to the studio. And to wrap it all up Waters would provide some vocals and bass (pre-recorded in a studio elsewhere so no arguments!).

I know this is pie in the sky. Especially because Gilmour joined PF essentially to replace Syd and I can't help but feel he's still a little embarrassed deep inside at having to mimic Syd's style for those 12 months or so......
dj865
Blade
Blade

Post by dj865 »

Nah, I don’t agree! Saucerful tour... is Nick’s project, he is the band leader and having a huge amount of fun doing it. Saucerful of Secrets is his favourite album from the catalogue so he has brought his enthusiasm for the early years to the limelight.

Also, Guy Pratt makes a joke during the show about asking David if his band could put Nile Song on the setlist and he was told “find a new band”!
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

It is clear that SOS project is only possible this way, because of what Gilmour chooses (not) to do these days. Happy to have it, no complaints.

But if I had a choice, I would always choose the band playing the band's own material. Pink Floyd never played a note of The Final Cut live, but thanks to Waters over half of the album could be heard live in various shows and places over the years. Nevertheless, I still think that live renditions by Pink Floyd, with Gilmour on the lead guitar in those few places where he actually recorded one on the album, would instantly blow all those performances out of the water.
DarkSideFreak
Knife
Knife

Post by DarkSideFreak »

Rooster1 wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:29 pm Hear hear. I'd like to imagine if Gilmour had joined the tour then it would have rekindled his love for the early experimental sound and they'd take to the studio. And to wrap it all up Waters would provide some vocals and bass (pre-recorded in a studio elsewhere so no arguments!).

I know this is pie in the sky. Especially because Gilmour joined PF essentially to replace Syd and I can't help but feel he's still a little embarrassed deep inside at having to mimic Syd's style for those 12 months or so......
I'm not sure David mimicked Syd much. At least that wasn't the impression I got from watching the EY videos. Obviously he did things with the band he would not have thought of on his own, but partially this was down to the generally experimental mood of the band and the times. And he was still learning and developing as an instrumentalist. The solo in "Let There Be More Light" is very Gilmour already. On the other hand, a song like "The Narrow Way" (which Nick could bring out if he wants to shake up the setlist, right?) would end with a big solo had David recorded it later, much like "Echoes" got some different flavours on the 2006 tour.

I do agree that David would probably see playing 100% early material as going backwards.
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

DarkSideFreak wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:47 pm I do agree that David would probably see playing 100% early material as going backwards.
Sure. But it is a shame, because Gilmour can own it. Here is an example, his live rendition of Syd Barrett's "Here I Go" (from The Madcap Laughs) performed on radio almost ten years ago (9 December 2008).
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

Pink Floyd will always have cred as long as the record company don't milk the name and back catalog to death. An example of this is the recent vinyl releases. Relics - remastered costs £19 it sounds no different to the original that cost around 89p
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

drafsack wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:58 pm Pink Floyd will always have cred as long as the record company don't milk the name and back catalog to death. An example of this is the recent vinyl releases. Relics - remastered costs £19 it sounds no different to the original that cost around 89p
Yeah, I've no turntable so it's CD or nothing for me. But the "posthumous" treatment of record companies is quite odd.
Where are the mountains of unreleased Michael Jackson material? Not a fan, but I would have thought we would have saw that line milked.
Plus I like what Nick Mason said about his Unattended Luggage boxset was it finally meant people were able to afford his albums!

I do hate to think how Pink Floyd's catalogue will be treated when there are no more living members etc.
EarlsFloyd
Axe
Axe

Post by EarlsFloyd »

I dont know what to say :( there's a lot of sh**ty music today, A LOT. I Think people are not listening more to Pink Floyd because they arent patient and calm, if you here a song of 'Trap and Latin "Trap (it's called Reagueton in Spanish)' the lyrics are poop the instrumental is a poop and the singing, well.... SH*T!!!! in my opinion Music Died in 2000. (Sorry about the Bad word) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) :cry:
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

^^^
That's a bad word for a 14 year old ... :-;
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

EarlsFloyd wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:09 am I dont know what to say :( there's a lot of sh**ty music today, A LOT. I Think people are not listening more to Pink Floyd because they arent patient and calm, if you here a song of 'Trap and Latin "Trap (it's called Reagueton in Spanish)' the lyrics are poop the instrumental is a poop and the singing, well.... SH*T!!!! in my opinion Music Died in 2000. (Sorry about the Bad word) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) :cry:
Well that will be the ultimate test. Will they look for deeper music and come across the band? Pink Floyd band not The Band- ah, never mind.
Ideally I'd like them to leave both behind Trap and even Pink Floyd IF it means we get new music that goes forward.
But that would require vision a reality talent which as you know. And you're even closer to them, sadly just isn't going to happen any time soon.
Punk didn't kill Pink Floyd, just good old wholesome indifference.
But don't turn off the lights and close the door just yet.
EarlsFloyd
Axe
Axe

Post by EarlsFloyd »

twcc wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:35 pm ^^^
That's a bad word for a 14 year old ... :-;
yes, sorry
EarlsFloyd
Axe
Axe

Post by EarlsFloyd »

Jimi Dean Barrett wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:22 pm
EarlsFloyd wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:09 am I dont know what to say :( there's a lot of sh**ty music today, A LOT. I Think people are not listening more to Pink Floyd because they arent patient and calm, if you here a song of 'Trap and Latin "Trap (it's called Reagueton in Spanish)' the lyrics are poop the instrumental is a poop and the singing, well.... SH*T!!!! in my opinion Music Died in 2000. (Sorry about the Bad word) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) :cry:
Well that will be the ultimate test. Will they look for deeper music and come across the band? Pink Floyd band not The Band- ah, never mind.
Ideally I'd like them to leave both behind Trap and even Pink Floyd IF it means we get new music that goes forward.
But that would require vision a reality talent which as you know. And you're even closer to them, sadly just isn't going to happen any time soon.
Punk didn't kill Pink Floyd, just good old wholesome indifference.
But don't turn off the lights and close the door just yet.
:cry: ](*,)