New Syd Footage?

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.

How much would you donate to a Kickstarter funding the release of new Syd Floyd concert footage?

$0
25%
$0-5
No votes
$5-10
8%
$10-20
No votes
$20-50
25%
$100+
42%

Total votes: 12

Haight Trashbury
Embryo
Embryo

New Syd Footage?

Post by Haight Trashbury »

Hello. I’ve been talking to counterculture filmmaker Flame Schon for a few weeks now, and have some very exciting news. Back in 1967, Schon arranged for Syd Floyd to make a brief cameo in her experimental film DOPE (email Flame ([email protected]) for a copy; it’s a great film and she’s the only one distributing it at the moment) and recorded over three hours of high-quality audio and video of the band’s performances at UFO for use in the movie. Only a little more than a minute of this footage made the final product, but when I asked her if she still had the tapes anyway, she directed me to a film storage facility in Long Island where the material for all of her films is stored. She then elaborated that although she isn’t sure whether her recordings still survive, whatever there is (if anything) that remains in existence is at that location. I’m going to spend the next couple weeks trying to gain access to this storage facility to see if her footage is still around. If it turns out that it is, then I’ll make it my top priority to try and launch a Kickstarter funding its release. Before I go further, however, I would like to know how much you would be willing to donate to this crowdfunding effort if all goes well and my project gets off the ground. I’ll make sure to update you as I get new information and my search progresses. Until then, here’s the sole portion of Flame’s material that has entered public circulation:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V799HqAgxXY
Last edited by Haight Trashbury on Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:32 am, edited 4 times in total.
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New Syd Footage?

Post by twcc »

^^^
Welcome aboard, that's a cheeky first post if the forum rules are to be obeyed ... good luck with the project

I assume any funders of over, say, USD 50 or 100 (you decide) would receive a DVD/Blu-ray as part of the deal.
flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by flashback »

Count me out, seeing how I was never a great fan of the Syd Floyd era. There are some that might be interested so gook luck with your project.
Haight Trashbury
Embryo
Embryo

I JUST tracked down the owner of the storage facility that supposedly has the Syd tapes. I’m gonna be calling him on the phone in a few days. Will update you on how it goes.
vizor
Axe
Axe

Post by vizor »

Kickstarter won't release the money if you do not make the goal. Indie Go-Go will under different terms. Also, look into pledgemusic to launch a project. https://www.pledgemusic.com/
Haight Trashbury
Embryo
Embryo

I found another film library in that has some material from DOPE (not sure if they have any outtakes though). They uploaded a clip of the UFO Club (apparently mixed in with some Blarney Club stuff) to their YouTube channel a few years ago, and for a very brief moment starting at the 0:27 mark, Pink Floyd is shown. The footage was clearly intended for DOPE, although it appears to be taken from the final cut of the film rather than an outtakes reel. Regardless of its origins, however, the video is almost completely unknown to the Floyd fandom, and so I figured I’d include it here:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dUuoMp7TYzQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUuoMp7TYzQ&app=desktop
Last edited by twcc on Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sashwap
Embryo
Embryo

Post by sashwap »

hope you find the footage! it would definitely get funded.
Haight Trashbury
Embryo
Embryo

MAJOR UPDATES!!!
I know it’s been a while, but I’ve got a lot of new stuff to share with you guys, practically all of which is big news.

1.) I just got an email from Sheldon Rochlin’s family (the owners of all of the material from Schon and Rochlin’s films, including DOPE) stating that they would help me recover their footage.

2.) The owner of the Long Island film vault that I mentioned in my initial post passed away a few years ago, and although this certainly did not result in the destruction of Schon and Rochlin’s footage (it would be completely unreasonable to assume that a professional establishment would be that careless with someone else’s property), it very likely resulted in their relocation.

3.) I just developed a major connection to Jo Durden-Smith’s family, and am working to locate outtakes from “It’s So Far Out, It’s Straight Down.” If recoverable (and still extant), this material will be packaged alongside the DOPE footage in my Kickstarter.

4.) After a bit of online digging, I discovered that Antonioni filmed the IT launch party at the Roundhouse. According to Melody Maker, his cameras weren’t that far from the Floyd...

5.) The entirety of the 14 Hour Technicolor Dream was set to be recorded by an Italian film crew. No idea whether this happened, but color footage of the event (complete with audio from Soft Machine’s performance there) appeared in Tinto Brass’s 1967 film Col Cuore in Gola, so at least some of it was taped. I sent an email out to Brass asking where he got this material, and I’ll notify you if I get a response.

6.) Bernie Andrews, a (now-deceased) British radio producer, made high-definition copies of all of the Floyd’s BBC sessions before the network wiped them. This should include a proper studio version of “Reaction in G,” as well as the complete, voiceover-free recordings of Syd’s soundtrack work for “Tomorrow’s World” (the “Green Onions” cover and the untitled, 1:42-second instrumental jam). His family should still have the tape.

7.) After his death, the entirety of Jack Henry Moore’s video archive was acquired by a company called Dig Media. The collection should include two complete concert tapes of Syd Floyd at UFO with the original sound (one fifty-minute show and another twenty-minute one), and it is currently slated for public release. I will time the onset of my crowdfunding campaign such that these two events (hopefully) do not overlap with each other.

(Much of this info was paraphrased from the website rarepinkfloyd.fr. It’s been a great deal of help for me throughout my search, and it really clears up all the misinformation that’s currently floating around in the Syd fandom. Go to dig.media if you want to follow their work alongside mine. They’re a great company, and I highly recommend that you do.)
Last edited by Haight Trashbury on Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

It would be fantastic to see some new video from Syd's era of Pink Floyd. Definitely keeping an eye on this thread. :D
Pat_Caprio
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Pat_Caprio »

Please keep this thread updated! You really might have stumbled across the Holy Grail of Barrett-Floyd
Haight Trashbury
Embryo
Embryo

I don’t know why I didn’t get around to mentioning this until now, but the date for this concert is March 3, 1967. They were there supporting Soft Machine, who headlined.
Here’s the poster:
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

^^^
I don't read the poster as Pink Floyd were supporting Soft Machine on any of the dates listed ... I read it as (a) 27 February Pink Floyd were supported by Brothers Grimm, (b) 03 March it was Soft Machine and (c) 10 March it was Pink Floyd.

PS, I have not cross-checked with the Vernon Fitch books.
Haight Trashbury
Embryo
Embryo

twcc wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:27 pm ^^^
I don't read the poster as Pink Floyd were supporting Soft Machine on any of the dates listed ... I read it as (a) 27 February Pink Floyd were supported by Brothers Grimm, (b) 03 March it was Soft Machine and (c) 10 March it was Pink Floyd.

PS, I have not cross-checked with the Vernon Fitch books.
Yeah, I noticed that too. It appears that the poster doesn’t list the supporting acts. I cross-checked the date in Echoes: The Complete History of Pink Floyd, and it said their that both Syd and Soft Machine played on March third. It is likely that both of these acts were filmed.
azerty
Embryo
Embryo

Post by azerty »

Glad that my site could help you (many updates are coming soon by the way).
I had a (reliable) contact who told me about the existence of these tapes several years ago.
I have never had the time to go deeper. Happy that you do it [-D-]
Haight Trashbury
Embryo
Embryo

I just got another email from Sheldon Rochlin’s family. Apparently, they lost track of all their footage after Sheldon died. However, they’re maintaining an open correspondence with me to see what I find. I’ve had a bunch of info about the (deceased) Long Island guy for a while, though, so I don’t think it’ll be too hard to track down his widow and get some new information. I’ll tell ya all how that goes.