It was 25 years ago today

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
Djgilmour
Blade
Blade

It was 25 years ago today

Post by Djgilmour »

That the best album ever recorded was released!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: It was 25 years ago today

Post by Keith Jordan »

One of my favourites. 8)
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

Agreed, it's a good one.

The Roger Waters album title is drawn from the title of the 1985 book 'Amusing Ourselves To Death' by Neil Postman. The book is a fascinating read and is described, on the jacket, as a public discourse in the age of show business ... it is well worth trying to find a copy as the book, written well before the album, deals with several themes picked up later by Roger.
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

^^^
Thanks for the reminder about Amused To Death ...

I thought the SACD was good but I'm now listening to the Blu-ray audio disc in 5.1 and it is sooo good it is like listening to a different album.
FreeFour
Knife
Knife

Post by FreeFour »

I remember buying this on CD on day of release from Our Price records in Weybridge

Drove home and listened to it from start to finish and was blown away, still my favourite Waters solo album and in my top 20 all time greats.
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

What strikes me most when listening to ATD now is how Waters has done nothing since its release BUT amuse us to death. Tour after tour of massive spectacle, oldies music and lip syncing. The message of this album seems to contradict such blatantly mindless consumerism.
Hammer
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Hammer »

Timeless classic.
FoefromtheFuture
Embryo
Embryo

Post by FoefromtheFuture »

I absolutely love this album. I still remember buying it the day it was released and just being blown away.

I think during those early listens it was “The Bravery of Being Out Of Range” that really hit me - both topically and musically, but in retrospect I think the album’s high point is “Watching TV”. And then the rise to the title track at the end...

...damn! I’m going to listen to it now!
moodyblue
Hammer
Hammer

Post by moodyblue »

25 years ago!

I still lament the fact he never toured ths album mainly down to his own arrogance I feel.

I dare say looking back his ability to pull a crowd weren't as they are now. Nonetheless, the album would have provided a perfect platform with which to build a great show.

drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

I remember hearing Rog play 'what god wants' on the live radio broadcast of the 1991 Seville Guitar legends concert and announcing it was called Monkey Television and thinking it was a bit of a swipe at MTV