New Syd Footage?

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.

How much would you donate to a Kickstarter funding the release of new Syd Floyd concert footage?

$0
25%
$0-5
No votes
$5-10
8%
$10-20
No votes
$20-50
25%
$100+
42%

Total votes: 12

Haight Trashbury
Embryo
Embryo

Re: New Syd Footage?

Post by Haight Trashbury »

azerty wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:27 pm Glad that my site could help you (many updates are coming soon by the way).
I had a (reliable) contact who told me about the existence of these tapes several years ago.
I have never had the time to go deeper. Happy that you do it [-D-]
Speaking about your website, I’ve had a question about it for a very long time now. You said in the “Pink Floyd on Videos and Films” section that the Barbeque 67 film was recorded by somebody called Bill Hardinge. I can’t figure out who this guy is for the life of me. Is there any way that you can help? It’s something that’s been really troubling me.
Haight Trashbury
Embryo
Embryo

Just a quick update: Apparently, the Long Island guy doesn’t have the footage. He just knew the filmmakers really well. I’m gonna need to start searching for some other leads...
Haight Trashbury
Embryo
Embryo

I just got an email from Flame Schon. She just found the address of the facility where her and Sheldon’s old films are stored. If the reels for DOPE still exist, then they’d almost HAVE to be there.
azerty
Embryo
Embryo

Post by azerty »

Speaking about your website, I’ve had a question about it for a very long time now. You said in the “Pink Floyd on Videos and Films” section that the Barbeque 67 film was recorded by somebody called Bill Hardinge. I can’t figure out who this guy is for the life of me. Is there any way that you can help? It’s something that’s been really troubling me.

I was in contact 20 years ago (!) On a Bulletin Board System (ancestor of web sites) with a guy whose father had participated in this event as a volunteer (I think he took care of the supply in drink). One of his friends, the famous Bill Hardinge, had brought his 8mm cam to shoot some sequence. At the time, owning this type of equipment was not common. As far as his father remembered, he had not captured PF's performance though.
Unfortunately, I lost contact with this member (an other Web-era), I noted the name of the cameraman but I did not get any more. it's a dead end unfortunately.

I think the only lead could be the photographer George Elderton whom some unreleased pics from this festival were unearthed recently.
Haight Trashbury
Embryo
Embryo

azerty wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:40 pm Speaking about your website, I’ve had a question about it for a very long time now. You said in the “Pink Floyd on Videos and Films” section that the Barbeque 67 film was recorded by somebody called Bill Hardinge. I can’t figure out who this guy is for the life of me. Is there any way that you can help? It’s something that’s been really troubling me.

I was in contact 20 years ago (!) On a Bulletin Board System (ancestor of web sites) with a guy whose father had participated in this event as a volunteer (I think he took care of the supply in drink). One of his friends, the famous Bill Hardinge, had brought his 8mm cam to shoot some sequence. At the time, owning this type of equipment was not common. As far as his father remembered, he had not captured PF's performance though.
Unfortunately, I lost contact with this member (an other Web-era), I noted the name of the cameraman but I did not get any more. it's a dead end unfortunately.

I think the only lead could be the photographer George Elderton whom some unreleased pics from this festival were unearthed recently.
Awwww... I wanted to synchronize his video of Clapton with that audio bootleg of the Barbeque 67 Cream set. I was really looking forward to that.
Haight Trashbury
Embryo
Embryo

Just emailed a few people who knew Sheldon Rochlin back when he was alive. I wanna make sure these reels still exist before I go look, since there’s a very good chance that at least some of the footage was lost.
Haight Trashbury
Embryo
Embryo

Flame sent me an email today saying that these recordings most likely still exist. It’s just a matter of finding them. D.A. Pennebaker (who owned the company that distributes DOPE (Leacock-Pennebaker) before it abruptly ran out of business) probably knows where the reels are. I emailed his current film company about this whole thing, and am expecting to get a response shortly. This is huge news, since, until now, Flame always seemed to express skepticism as to whether or not these reels were lost. It seems I’m approaching an answer...

Also, I’m still waiting on the “It’s So Far Out, It’s Straight Down” footage. We’re searching, but nothing has come up yet. Just keep waiting.
Haight Trashbury
Embryo
Embryo

I’m 90% sure that the DOPE tapes still exist... and that I know where they’re stored. Expect something over the summer.
hallucalation
Embryo
Embryo

Post by hallucalation »

RichardB wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:26 am
There is the UFO club footage from that film, but there is also some never before heard Pink Floyd music in other parts of the film as wel
l.
I might be able to help with your search for the Dope Movie outakes in some way and also some other projects, if you would like to discuss that then please let me know.
Also I spoke with the woman who did the CBC inteview in 66 with that interesting version of Interstellar Overdrive in the background. She actually recorded them live at CBC headquarters in London and she believes that full recording still exists in the CBC archives.
There's no additional Floyd music of any kind in Die Jungen Nachtwandler save for a UFO footage (which is a last 5 minute of film).

Also it is not UFO club shown in Dope film but some other location since interior doesn't match photos or footage from it.

Jack Moore UFO footage is simply not exist because:
1) He doesn't had any filming equipment until late 1968
2) When his archive was taken care of, no one had find any UFO footage he shot

Granada have in their archives only Interstellar Overdrive audio without voiceover + full 9 minute McCartney interview. I doubt that Joe have any kind of raw materials

As for late 66 recordings, i'm not aware of any beyond IO from Thompson Recording Studio and that CBS audio/interview.
hallucalation
Embryo
Embryo

Post by hallucalation »

Haight Trashbury wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:07 pm I found another film library in that has some material from DOPE (not sure if they have any outtakes though). They uploaded a clip of the UFO Club (apparently mixed in with some Blarney Club stuff) to their YouTube channel a few years ago, and for a very brief moment starting at the 0:27 mark, Pink Floyd is shown. The footage was clearly intended for DOPE, although it appears to be taken from the final cut of the film rather than an outtakes reel. Regardless of its origins, however, the video is almost completely unknown to the Floyd fandom, and so I figured I’d include it here:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dUuoMp7TYzQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUuoMp7TYzQ&app=desktop
This is part of main film, not outtake. Kinolibrary doesn't have outtakes from this film.
hallucalation
Embryo
Embryo

Post by hallucalation »

I can confirm that someone overdubbed fake imitation of Interstellar Overdrive over youtube trailer of Die Jungen Nachtwandler. I even remember finding original source for that on some dubious boot but that was ages ago.
I have full film since about 2011 (straight from German TV master) and there's no Floyd music until their sequence comes on the screen. And yes, their gigs and improvisations were so chaotic that you can call any song with long improvisation as IO which in reality is different thing altogether.

I also spoke to Flame about 9 years ago and she didn't remember having any outtakes. In fact Dope on DVD was produced from inferior film dub negative
hallucalation
Embryo
Embryo

Post by hallucalation »

Re-1966 recordings.

Marquee tape was mentioned in Pigs Might Fly book.
1966-04-13 Spontaneous Underground gig - from Mark Blake's peerless 'Pigs Might Fly' Page 56: "I remember seeing a guy called Ian Somerville, who was a friend of William Burroughs, sat in the booth at the Marquee with headphones on the whole time. Nobody knows what became of that tape."

Same with CBC tape. To me it's all amounts to unsubstantial rumours. There was probably tons of tapes that was lying around in 66-67 but which was later misplaced, got lost and so on. Until someone proves that it is exist - i'm not convinced by it.

I don't have definitive thoughs about Dope outtakes but have i feeling that it will came to absolutely nothing.

I can say that silent outtakes from UFO club from filming Die Jungen Nachtwandler are still exist. But they are totally impossible to get.
hallucalation
Embryo
Embryo

Post by hallucalation »

>The CBC tapes should be in the vault, I actually spoke to Nancy Bacal the other day , by e mail, and she told me that CBC said they had no record and that it was probably destroyed, but how would they know it was destroyed with no record? Sounds likely, but I would put it down as MIA.

I think CBS only have original "master" broadcast 1966 tape.

Die Jungen Nachtwandler raw trims are silent because audio was captured separately as always. And you can see that they put totally random audio from PF gig over their footage. I can't speak much about origins of my information but it is in the the vault of well known rock group (not PF) and archivist of that vault confirmed it.

>I am not too fond of any of the shows from Sept 67 up to Dec 67 as their live sound changed quite a bit and in some ways became more conventional sounding.

How do you know unless you had been himself at those early gigs?

>I got some cool silent footage from the documentary " got that Ant " though I assume most of you have that too.

From BBC rebroadcast?
motorbreat10
Embryo
Embryo

Post by motorbreat10 »

^^^

Do you have any rare song or footage from pink floyd in the early years? If you have it, can you pass to me something? please!!
Last edited by twcc on Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: EDIT by twcc in accordance with Forum Rule A9
hallucalation
Embryo
Embryo

Post by hallucalation »

motorbreat10 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:53 am ^^^

Do you have any rare song or footage from pink floyd in the early years? If you have it, can you pass to me something? please!!
No, but i do have about 10 hours of Beatles playing punk rock in Hamburg circa 1961. Stereo soundboard.

.. just joking