David Gilmour Rattle That Lock

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate this Album

5 - Best
10%
29%
32%
16%
1 - Worst
13%

Total votes: 31

drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

This thread is to discuss David Gilmour's Rattle That Lock

It is available in Vinyl, CD, DVD and Blue ray versions

Feel free to discuss any of the formats!

Track listing

5 A.M.
Rattle That Lock
Faces of Stone
A Boat Lies Waiting
Dancing Right in Front of Me
In Any Tongue
Beauty
The Girl in the Yellow Dress
Today
And Then...

Deluxe Edition

Rattle That Lock (Extended Mix)
The Girl in the Yellow Dress (Orchestral Version)
Rattle That Lock (Youth Mix - 12" Extended Radio Dub)
Rattle That Lock (Radio Edit)

Rattle That Lock deluxe edition DVD and Blu-ray

Barn Jam 1
Barn Jam 2
Barn Jam 3
Barn Jam 4
The Animators, Alisdair + Jock" (Documentary)
Rattle That Lock" (Video)
The Animators, Danny Madden" (Documentary)
8The Girl in the Yellow Dress" (Video)
Polly Samson and David Gilmour at the Borris House Festival of Words and Ideas" (Documentary)
The Making of the Rattle That Lock album" (Documentary)
Rattle That Lock (Extended mix)" (Audio only)
The Girl in the Yellow Dress (Orchestral version)" (Audio only)
Rattle That Lock (Youth mix - 12" extended radio dub)" (Audio only)
Rattle That Lock (Radio edit)" (Audio only)
Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Re: David Gilmour Rattle That Lock

Post by Yucateco »

Gilmour latest album and what a nice surprise after the incredibly dull On an Island!

5 A.M. - Hey an instrumental intro! What a surprise! But I actually like that one! Wish it was longer. Why not just put And Then... in here 4/5
Rattle that Lock - Nice catchy tune with nice guitar work 4/5
Faces of Stone - Another track I like, but somehow i just can´t remember anything about it 4/5
A Boat Lies Waiting - Urgh. I just don´t like Crosby/Nash singing. 1/5
Dancing right in front of me - Another ok track 3/5
In Any Tongue - Although a blatant ripoff (I always want to start with "hello... is there anybody in there" after the first chord), this is probably the highlight of the album 4/5
Beauty - Filler 2/5
The Girl in the Yellow Dress - Nice to see him try something different, I just wish it would be something I like. 2/5
Today - Cool song, somehow very different to the rest of the album 3/5
An Then.... - Wonderful melody and guitar work. A track I really love 4/5

A return to form for Gilmour, hopefully there will be one more in the future 3/5
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

There's some good bits of music in the album, but as a whole it just doesn't gel. The album has no flow at all, it plays just like a compilation of outtakes and rarities, scattered ideas cobbled together by Mr. Gilmour and co.

On one hand you have some decent pop stuff in the title track and Today, which kinda follows the tradition of stuff like Blue Light, One Slip and Take It Back. On the other you have some Division Bell era floydian stuff in Beauty, Dancing Right in Front of Me and 5 A.M./And Then... Then you have some solitary songs like A Boat Lies Waiting, which is a sweet song (even if it doesn't really go anywhere) that could very well be an On An Island outtake and The Girl in the Yellow Dress, which is basically a decent genre exercise in lounge jazz. And finally, the real low points of the album for me: Faces of Stone, perhaps the most morose, boring and cliché song Gilmour has ever recorded and In Any Tongue, which is just Gilmour trying very hard to be a serious and politically concerned songwriter over a Comfortably Numb/The Final Cut musical rip-off.

And that's the album.

Some nice parts here and there, but all in all they don't sum into a greater whole.
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

It's like they are always trying to live up to pink floyd's reputation instead of just making music.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

This is a 3/5 album for me. It's not as dull as In An Elevator (to be fair, few things are) but still it's lacking a certain something. A grumpy 70-something Richard Gere lookalike? :twisted: Anyhoo, here's my track by track if anyone's interested.

1. 5.A.M. Gorgeous instrumental. I've always enjoyed Gilmour's instrumentals, even if they seem to be the sort of thing he can knock off in his sleep.
2. Rattle That Lock Catchy and has more energy to it than anything from On An Island. Wonder what it'd sound like if covered by a soul singer? I kinda wish Gilmour had sung it in a lower register though because his voice sounds a bit strained.
3. Faces of Stone Resonates on a personal level because my mum had Alzheimer's and she was only 2 days older than David. Reminds me a little of Murder from About Face. Not mad about the fairground bits but I get what he was going for.
4. A Boat Lies Waiting Sounds like an out-take from On An Island. Next!
5. Dancing Right in Front of Me Curiously forgettable. Easy to skip this one
6. In Any Tongue Very Floydian, this. I wonder what would have become of it if Roger had had a hand in it though?
7. Beauty I'd forgotten this was on the album. Sounds like it has wandered in from The Endless River.
8. The Girl in the Yellow Dress I'm not a jazz fan so maybe I was never going to care for this. Overlong and never goes anywhere.
9. Today Another catchy track in the vein of Rattle that Lock. Gilmour's voice doesn't sound as strained on this. A nice strong song with which to end the album with...
10. And Then... ..though of course there's the obligatory outro. I liked the intro so I like the outro.
Hammer
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Hammer »

Whoa! On An Island isn't really popular around here! This is the first time I register to a strictly Floyd forums but all the other musical forums I go to adore the album and say Rattle That Lock doesn't compare to it.
I personally like Rattle That Lock better.
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

I like Beauty. sounds to me like an endless river leftover, and Gilmour missing Wright in engaging mr Eno (no disrespect to him at all). I can't say that I listen to this album, rattle that lock and today sound dated from the moment they were pressed, and some of it just doesn't do it for me, but I don't hold it against Gilmour for doing his own thing under his own name and owing no one anything. I just don't find myself listening to it ever. big note: Faces of Stone live was INCREDIBLE during the guitar solo... crowd rising to their feet and cheering uncontrollably incredible during the high notes.
In any tongue: I love this track, however cheesily political (the roger camp would love it... or probably hate it). nice slow minor key chord progression with a pentatonic searing guitar solo (that actually borrows heavily from ended as lovers by jeff beck)... ONE SONG ONLY, not in the same key or having the same chords as comfortably numb or anything else on the wall or final cut (I'd be glad to be corrected by anyone), but only 'in the style' of pink floyd by its frontman... and somehow that's a rip off... funny... (have you ever listened to a roger album?)
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

Rattle That Lock (Youth Mix - 12" Extended Radio Dub) - heard this recently and unfortunately you cant un hear it
AndrewJFisher
Axe
Axe

Post by AndrewJFisher »

I admit I was impressed when David's voice came in on "Rattle That Lock" sounding like, I don't know, Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top, not quite his usual singing, even when he's sung other songs that are on the catchy side, he's kind of Gilmourized them a bit by singing in his usual, unique voice, a sort of "atmospheric" voice.
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

Just listening to this in the first time in a while. It's a really good album, and shows that Dave still has it in him.

I will be listening to ITTLYRW next, and my impression of that is exactly the same with 'Rog' switched for 'Dave'.
Djgilmour
Blade
Blade

Post by Djgilmour »

Annoying Twit wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:22 pm Just listening to this in the first time in a while. It's a really good album
No, it’s not a good album. Just like “on an Island” which is also not a good album (only the titletrack, which is brilliant btw)
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by theaussiefloydian »

Djgilmour wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:18 pm
Annoying Twit wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:22 pm Just listening to this in the first time in a while. It's a really good album
No, it’s not a good album. Just like “on an Island” which is also not a good album (only the titletrack, which is brilliant btw)
Keep it mellow, man. I'm all for a good discussion but replying with just "no it isn't" seems needlessly confrontational, even if that wasn't your intention.
Personally these days I'm not entirely sure Rattle That Lock is really anything to write home about per se, but it's not "not good" either imo. It has songs that I really like (Faces of Stone, In Any Tongue, the opening and closing instrumentals), and it has some... low points (I fail to see the appeal in The Girl in the Yellow Dress). I'd personally give it a solid 3/5 if I was asked these days.
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

Djgilmour wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:18 pm
I came back to this thread for the first time in a while, and this post reminds me of Punch and Judy. Oh yes it is. Oh no it's not. @Djgilmour may also want to revise the Monty Python 'Argument' sketch.

Rattle That Lock is, in my opinion, much better than On an Island. OAI is patchy, and some tracks just don't do it for me. However, those songs, such as 'Take a Breath' and 'On an Island' often seem popular with others.

For me, the last three, more acoustic songs 'Smile', 'Pocketful of Stones', and 'Where We Start' are by some margin the best on the album, and musically stand up to the best of Pink Floyd. Lyrically, they don't match up, but which albums by anyone do?

Rattle that Lock for me is a much more consistent album and overall much better. On RTL, Polly seems to have found her voice as a lyricist. She's not writing lyrics that are the same as what Roger Waters would write. As, for example, it seems that Anthony Moore attempted to do on a song such as 'Dogs of War'. But, there's nothing wrong with that. This isn't a Pink Floyd album and there's no reason why it should show any influence from Roger.

Hence, in perhaps a Punch and Judy voice, I say 'yes it is'. It is a very good album. It's a DG album, not a PF album, e.g. songs like "The Girl in the Yellow Dress', but for me that doesn't affect its quality.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by theaussiefloydian »

Annoying Twit wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:48 am Rattle That Lock is, in my opinion, much better than On an Island... OAI is patchy, and some tracks just don't do it for me... For me, the last three, more acoustic songs 'Smile', 'Pocketful of Stones', and 'Where We Start' are by some margin the best on the album.
I find that I disagree, though not on your point about the final three on OaI - they are the best on the album by a measurable distance.
The atmospheric feeling of On an Island is what makes it better in my mind than Rattle That Lock (which leads me to say that it would have been a far better album if Take a Breath hadn't been there, as it breaks that tone quite jarringly) - for 50 minutes I'm just washed along with the music. The other thing is Rattle That Lock is very polished, almost too much so in my opinion.
But it's definitely not a bad LP - the title track, Faces of Stone, In Any Tongue and the bookend instrumental are pretty fantastic actually.
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

I find that, for my personal taste, OAI just washes along a bit too much. OAI (the song) is OK, but somehow the melody isn't quite distinctive enough for me. 'The Blue' is even less distinctive. I personally need more to get my teeth into. RtL provides that for me.