The Later Years 1986-2014

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Re: The Later Years 1986-2014

Post by Hadrian »

I assume that The Endless River is not included because it is a recent product, and there were both standard and deluxe versions of it simultaneously five years ago. They had no chance or need to remix it, so there was nothing new to offer for the album itself. Both versions from 2014 are probably still selling.

The exclusion of the extended "Take it Back" (7:07) that I mentioned above is a shame. It is a clean and complete version of the album track, no overlap mixing with previous/subsequent track, and no fade in or out. It is a studio version that has both a proper beginning and an end. It would be great to have all of the AMLOR and TDB album tracks in this fashion (and that single song from TER), so that you can create your own playlist with them. Because most of them are mixed into one another on the albums at the start and/or at the end, playlisting them in your own order is impossible to enjoy.

In this regard, "The Dogs of War" studio edit on "A Momentary Lapse of Reason Official Tour CD" US promo from 1988 (https://www.discogs.com/Pink-Floyd-A-Mo ... se/2373238) is also interesting because the end is not mixed with the beginning of "One Slip" as on the album (unfortunately the intro is edited short). Not a great track, but once again, it would be great to get a standalone isolate. There must be a longer version of "Round and Around" instrumental from that album somewhere on the studio tapes.

"Soundscape" (22:07) from the "P*U*L*S*E" cassette, released in 1995, is also missing (although that is for completeist really).
FreeFour
Knife
Knife

Post by FreeFour »

Nothing from the Versailles concert ? This is surprising as I am sure it was pro shot in its entirety ?

The re-edited/updated and re-mixed audio and video content will be interesting and we almost have a full DSoT visual concert..I am hoping we get the full unedited tracks (sorrow/CN) and the track listing for the video of DSoT lists Shine on parts 1 to 5 rather than the original into footage.

I often wonder what target audience these box sets are aimed at as clearly they aren’t cheap and would therefore assume that the people that are going to buy it are the completists and hardcore fans.

The completists and hardcore fans have no doubt explored the available footage many times (Knebworth, Atalanta, hangar rehearsals etc) and have probably seen and owned much of the tour merchandise being replicated in this box set.

For me the new DSoT footage and updated AMLoR album is very compelling and I am sure we will learn more about the content in the music publications over the coming months as the sales promotion kicks into gear
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

Here is another thought: every song and instrumental from A Momentary Lapse of Reason album had been performed live and filmed during the 1987-1990 tour. They should've reedited those into a separate video disc to create a concert video of the full album performance.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by theaussiefloydian »

Well it's been a hot minute since I've been here!
I am really excited to see the inclusion of that AMOLR remix that has been bandied about since Nick first mentioned the idea in his autobiography. I hope it lives up to the expectation that it has in my mind, and should be a damn sight better than that OBC remix from The Early Years that I don't remember anybody asking for.
Aside from that, not much else is grabbing my attention for things to want in this collection, except for the PULSE Blu-Ray maybe - a high def copy of that one would be nice!
YetAnother
Axe
Axe

Post by YetAnother »

I'd like to hear the remixed AMLOR. Once or twice. But I think 400 euro is a bit too much for that.

I am not that interested in the rest. I don't get why DSOT didn't include all the songs from the start. I am not paying again for something I already bought.

Somehow I like how TDB and ER are not included because they were not remixed and everybody already has them. It makes this set a bit heavy on the 1987-1990 live tours though.
FreeFour
Knife
Knife

Post by FreeFour »

https://twitter.com/pinkfloyd/status/11 ... 70528?s=21

Check out the tweet from Pink Floyd showing footage from the AMLoR cover shoot

Very cool!
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

^^^
Agreed, very cool, somehow I thought this had been shot on the South Devon coast ... now I know it was North Devon. May have to pop across one day to walk the beach in a weird sort of homage.

:-;
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

YetAnother wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:51 pm I'd like to hear the remixed AMLOR. Once or twice. But I think 400 euro is a bit too much for that.
500 CAD for me. It's bloody ridiculous really. If they're gonna charge something like that I would prefer that the package be a little more full. I hope after all is said and done there is a way of listening to the 2019 AMLOR mix without buying the box set. Under normal circumstances I would have bit it and bought the thing, all 500 CAD of it, but my financial situation being as it is I have to actually think about buying things before I make the payment
mabewa
Axe
Axe

Post by mabewa »

I'm really, really curious about the extra Rick parts on the album.

As I remember it, Nick recorded his 'new' drum parts quite a while back, and Rick was planning to do the same with keyboard parts, but he passed away before he was able to record them. Several years back, they were talking about extracting Rick's keyboard parts from live performances, but the language in the press releases ('restored contributions') makes the origin of Rick's 'new' parts kinda confusing. I'm wondering if they are referring to extracted live keyboard parts, or unused parts recorded for the original album? We do know, for example, that he had a solo in On the Turning Away that wasn't, though that obviously isn't a lot by itself. I suppose that Rick could have more recorded parts that weren't used or were mixed low in the original version.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

Well I'll pick up whatever single disc sampler. If live tracks used it should be more than the odd listen.
Still, I thought this box set was bad!...

"Plz dnt bi the GONG box of stuff u used to have. Wait for GONG box set that pays people even who have died etc"
Oh.. OK. Thank you. I will wait.
"TWELVE DISC GONG BOX SERT 9999 ONLINE!"
WTF? I only wanted a remastered "Gong Live Etc..."!
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

a few thoughts on this:
- timing of the re-recording for AMLOR. I think this item is the biggest surprise for everyone. I'm assuming these are parts that RW played back when they recorded it, and were not used. I find that a bit tough to believe, though, as I thought RW came in late and that is why he had barely a hand in some songs. I guess it is as said above and he had re-done his bits later on. There is the rumour of a solo for OTTA, which is odd, because he never played a solo for it live, to my knowledge, and they did play an extended version of it. I am excited for Nick's drums. somewhat. I never understood why he never played on all tracks. It is very obvious that it is someone else on some bits. Expect nothing but what you have heard him play live already (a live version of every song except terminal frost maybe exists). This isn't criticism, it just won't be earth=shattering drumming.

- The listed durations for the new versions of PULSE and AMLOR are the same as the current releases. To me, that means no added parts. Shame if the extended or original version of the CN solo and other random bits that were cut from the PPV don't come back. We aren't limited by VHS anymore.

- DSOT now includes some new tracks. This is good news. I couldn't care for the crappy kurzweil keyboard sound in welcome to the machine (to think of those minimoogs in storage... probably!), but the live version is welcome. there are other track differences. hopefully the editing is completely re-done so I don't have to see random bits of audience during completely difference songs/nights, half of versailles and half of nassau during the same song, and way too much Scott Paige strumming a guitar that's presumably unplugged.

- no mention of versailles. intrigued as to why not. that should be well documented.

- I'm excited for the division bell unreleased tracks; even though I feel nervana will be identical to that of TER, and Rick's Theme is "Untitled" from the deluxe version of the TER, a theme which I quite like and play on piano myself.

- intrigued about the new TER film. this is the one of these days ballet guy. Mixed feelings. sidebar: why don't they just license the music for the new Dune film? Assuming the new film isn't crap, like jupiter ascending level crap.

- good to see an official version of arnold layne with everyone at the Syd tribute. the song is dumb but this was the last PF concert ever, right?

- the price IS steep. I can say I do well financially and I still hesitate. Even on a disc by disc cost, it's a bit steep right? if you were to buy every disc individually at $10-20 each. I will probably still tell my wife this is my christmas gift...

- I quite like the cover artwork, albeit it must be CGI... which used to be a no no...
mabewa
Axe
Axe

Post by mabewa »

Another thought: I almost wonder if they aren't being very creative with copy-and-pasting various unused Rick keyboard parts from over the years, and not just the ones that were recorded specifically for those songs?

That sounds like an odd thing to say, but I'm convinced that they did that a lot with Endless River. If you look at the credits, while there are a fair number of songs that include some non-Rick keyboard parts, Rick is often credited with playing several different keyboards on every song (sometimes along with an extra Gimour or Ezrin) keyboard part. Yet my understanding is that a lot of that stuff came out of live jamming in the studio, limiting the amount he could have played at one time. Of course, Rick was likely switching between keyboards in those jams, but I've become convinced that while putting Endless River together, they also found a lot of random stuff he did that fitted various songs, and adjusted the tempo or key so that they could fill out the songs with more Rick parts. If so, they might have repeated the process with the new version of Momentary Lapse. After all, they've probably got hundreds or thousands of hours of Rick playing in the studio throughout the history of PF, and it might be just something like 'Hey, if we drop this down a key and speed it up a bit, it would sound great on Dogs of War'!
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

mabewa wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:06 am Another thought: I almost wonder if they aren't being very creative with copy-and-pasting various unused Rick keyboard parts from over the years, and not just the ones that were recorded specifically for those songs?
I seem to remember Mason saying in his Pink Floyd biography that if this remix were to be undertaken, they would source keyboard parts recorded during Pink Floyd's '88 tour. I don't think just using random Wright pieces was ever really the intention - they'll probably source the parts from multiple performances of the same songs, or whatever he may have done in the studio that was never recorded, but I doubt they'll just find an unused Wright performance from something else and go "eh, it fits, let's throw it in." Pretty sure Gilmour has more respect for Wright than that and wouldn't allow those sorts of choices to be made.
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

Agreed. Especially for an AMLOR remix. I think everyone agrees it’s not their master opus so no need to disgrace Wright like that.
I don’t think TER sources material was so clearly cut; I think there are things that were certainly a live jam recorded on DAT (nervana, untitled), but I think most of the stuff is or was very usable and studio quality. Some stuff sounds finishedc like talkin’ hawkin’. They said they basically had the album done to a good extent, just ran out of time fine tuning it. Some of the stuff is hissy and may have other instrument s that were cleanly removed or quieted down in the studio, or drowned by a new part, I’m speculating, and then patched by making it sound like it’s raining or with sound effects (lost art of conversation). There are some songs that really do seem to have Wright in a very limited capacity, and yes, probably in a different song that he would’ve imagined. I’m thinking Sum (basic organ and a piano riff plus an LFO organ intro that might be unrelated), anisina (90s keyboard work station echoey chords at the intro). They said they decided to redo the album instead of cleaning up TBS to studio quality. It helps that they tend to riff or write in Em eh? Though you can change the key of anything to anything these days.
Gilmour stated that after TER he really doesn’t have anymore of Wright playing, save for some jams they did at his barn after on an island, which later came out I believe on the deluxe version of Rattle that lock, and they are just that, blues jams. Pretty cool but derivative and not what I could call “Floyd”.
There’s also the legendary or mythical solo album Wright was presumably working on before his death. I don’t think there is much there. Someone said or I read that it was basically snippets of musical notes he’d taken and ideas that were not cohesive or developed.
As an afterthought, the live version of Breakthrough is a later years pink Floyd song in all but name to me. Throw Mason in there and there is nothing between it and wearing the inside out.
DarkSideFreak
Knife
Knife

Post by DarkSideFreak »

Mellissalynn wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:16 am What is missing from the box set, in terms of what we know that actually exists?

Well, from what I'm reading, where is The Endless River? It is an official album and shows up on the video material, but the album isn't part of this set. Why, I'm wondering?
None of the original albums are included as CDs, and I understand that. The Early Years did the same, after all.

It's a slight missed opportunity that they didn't *also* mix the original AMLOR album into 5.1, though.
Hadrian wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:13 pm Here is another thought: every song and instrumental from A Momentary Lapse of Reason album had been performed live and filmed during the 1987-1990 tour. They should've reedited those into a separate video disc to create a concert video of the full album performance.
Agree, that would be good. I've always planned to make a CD like that; with the new box set (if I can afford it!) I'll finally be able to do it without having to resort to downloaded tracks and stuff.