The Big Spliff - A Missed Opportunity

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

The Big Spliff - A Missed Opportunity

Post by theaussiefloydian »

It's kind of bumming me out that in a box set named "The Later Years: 1987-2019", we're not seeing any more of The Big Spliff - something I have been curious about since I heard TBS9 and TBS14 on Spotify. One would have hoped that, for the price that this box is being sold at, there would be more material that we haven't heard in any way, shape or form before, and the entirety of this project sure is one of those things.
Perhaps I've been mislead and it doesn't actually exist in a fully recorded form?
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Re: The Big Spliff - A Missed Opportunity

Post by raisemyrent »

mm I would've originally agreed, but after listening to TER and the 2 TBS tracks (officially the bell sessions but tongue in cheek), I think we're ok. I think it is safe to say that it did exist and probably still does, and Andy J would be in deep trouble if it were to leak or be released, but we could also assume that anything of value was used for TER. I personally find the 2 TBS tracks to be quite subpar, not only in terms of the actual substance, but the 'hackjob' of a recording that they are. It of course, is the nature of recording live jams and first takes. No one is at fault, but I would be very very surprised if they decided to put their name and charge money for something so precarious. I think we got more than we expected in a completely new and reworked album (TER), and the inclusion of the 2 more decent tracks. I suspect that anything ot the remainder of the big spliff would cannibalise the endless river to various extents.
MoreOrLess
Blade
Blade

Post by MoreOrLess »

theaussiefloydian wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:40 pm It's kind of bumming me out that in a box set named "The Later Years: 1987-2019", we're not seeing any more of The Big Spliff - something I have been curious about since I heard TBS9 and TBS14 on Spotify. One would have hoped that, for the price that this box is being sold at, there would be more material that we haven't heard in any way, shape or form before, and the entirety of this project sure is one of those things.
Perhaps I've been mislead and it doesn't actually exist in a fully recorded form?
Honestly though this would feel a little like sharp business pratices for me, whilst the recent Floyd boxsets aren't free of issues that could deserve criticism I think fundamentally they weren't trying to force expensive purchases on people who might only want to hear a small amount of material. DSOTS, WYWH and the Wall all put out their most desirable extra material on 2CD/3CD sets whilst Early Years was almost entirely new and also gave the chance to buy parts of it.

Latter Years is really about putting out updated mixes of the albums and concert films of that era and I think its better to stick to that rather than including something like The Big Spliff which some people who might not be interested in the rest would be after. Don't put fans in the position of having to spend large amounts of money for 1-2 CD's worth of material, make the release be either something people are interested in all of it or can give it a pass.
Last edited by MoreOrLess on Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by theaussiefloydian »

MoreOrLess wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:52 pm Latter Years is really about putting out updated mixes of the albums and concert films of that era.
Fair point, but all the same having some new stuff tucked away as well would have been nice. Oh well
PinkPhishPhan
Embryo
Embryo

Post by PinkPhishPhan »

Where can I find the “The Bell Sessions” tracks that weren’t on The Endless River?

Huge fan of TER, listen to it every night on a loop when I sleep. Can’t believe they sat on this for that long. I hope the remixes and the new appreciation / salute to Rick shines in these remixes)
PinkPhishPhan
Embryo
Embryo

Post by PinkPhishPhan »

Nevermind, I found it all..... the deluxe version
mabewa
Axe
Axe

Post by mabewa »

PinkPhishPhan wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:17 pm Where can I find the “The Bell Sessions” tracks that weren’t on The Endless River?

Huge fan of TER, listen to it every night on a loop when I sleep. Can’t believe they sat on this for that long. I hope the remixes and the new appreciation / salute to Rick shines in these remixes)
I've returned to it recently, and I really think it's underrated. So many cool moods on that album.
ChillOnTheSun
Embryo
Embryo

Post by ChillOnTheSun »

At least, if any TBS sessions are not included in The Later Years box, we can still hope for full reworked version in manner of The Endless River. It would be very nice, if they (Gilmour/Mason) will in the future make something with THE BIG SPLIFF...some very very ambient record as the last sparkling of the dying comet.
Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Yucateco »

ChillOnTheSun wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:52 pm At least, if any TBS sessions are not included in The Later Years box, we can still hope for full reworked version in manner of The Endless River. It would be very nice, if they (Gilmour/Mason) will in the future make something with THE BIG SPLIFF...some very very ambient record as the last sparkling of the dying comet.
I would rather hope that they would actually record some new stuff, not reworking old stuff again.