Roger Waters Us & Them Film Oct 2019

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
dfloyd
Embryo
Embryo

Re: Roger Waters Us & Them Film Oct 2019

Post by dfloyd »

I've hovered on this forum for the past 2 years but never felt the need to join due to the lack of activity on here, until today.

I'm sure most of you will disagree with me but I thought the film was actually just awful. The amount of times I saw Roger look around as if he didn't know what the hell was going on was quite upsetting.. fine I'll let him off with that. He always claimed himself to be the 'musical genius and principal songwriter of pink floyd' anyway so who cares right?

I know there are a lot of roger haters in the world. But I've always been on his side until I saw this film. The fleeting glimpse episode after the film made me realise he is a walking contradiction. To promote a tour called Us + Them, to promote peace and love and 'a plea for humanity, a call for listeners to get together and tackle the world’s problems'... The thing that really pissed me off is that a fan towardS the end of the fleeting glimpse section wanted to shake his hand, he was in the back of some vehicle at the time with his window down. He refused to shake this fan's hand because he 'doesn't like germs'.

He's a walking contradiction. Preaching to look after 'our brothers and sisters' and to tear down walls and barriers yet he can't shake a fan's hand. Really pathetic.

Oh.. And to charge £18 at an Odeon was ridiculous by the way. I understand Paying £100+ when you're playing live.. A lot of costs to cover. But to watch a film at a cinema at almost double the price. I appreciate I'm probably going to get some haters after this. I just thought it was subpar.
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

I was too busy and distracted with work and other things. However, I see it's on at 7pm in a cinema a ten minute cycle ride from me. Problem sorted.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

dfloyd wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:17 am I'm sure most of you will disagree with me but I thought the film was actually just awful. The amount of times I saw Roger look around as if he didn't know what the hell was going on was quite upsetting.. fine I'll let him off with that. He always claimed himself to be the 'musical genius and principal songwriter of pink floyd' anyway so who cares right?
I am surprised to hear someone describe the film as awful. :shock: It was a spectacular looking show! :D
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

^^^
+1 ... I'm with you Keith

To summarise what I said previously, pin sharp image, great colours and clever use of colours plus multi-channel sound
9/10 ... would buy on Blu-ray if available :)
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

I most certainly didn't think the film was awful.

The band is just fantastic and that is really what I think. The spectacle is awesome. What the film really drove home is just how fantastic the music being performed is. They are really good versions of the songs, although perhaps a bit close to the original studio versions, but with PF that is no bad thing at all. The track that seemed changed most was The Great Gig in the Sky where the female vocals did not seem to follow Torry's original, and perhaps to the track's slight detriment.

The reason I didn't see the tour live is that I wasn't sure how much of Rog's performance would be live. The film certainly deepens that concern. It's not just a matter of whether he is miming his vocals, but also he's often playing bass, but stops and puts his arms in the air as the bass continues. So, I'm not sure how much was Rog and how much was Gus Seyffert. The end result was still fantastic.

In the featurette that follows the film, Roger describes the show as taking over from the circus - that modern rock shows are what would have been a circus in the past. If so, Rog appears to cast himself solidly as the ringmaster. At one point Rog is mouthing along with lyrics, well away from any microphone and with his hands off the bass.

In the featurette there were some rehearsals, and Rog is shown singing and playing lead guitar, which sounds OK. But, I think he has such a crack band that he can't keep up with them. I wonder if he decided to draw back a bit and let them have their head. Clearly Rog cannot play guitar like Kidderminster or bass like Seyffert.

I wish I knew which songs were sung live. Though, since it's a produced film, it is theoretically possible that the film is less live than the performances at the concert - a situation that is not exactly rare in live films and albums.

The film, like the concert, is highly political. I can imagine people of certain political persuasions disliking it even if they like the music.

But, overall, the film is extremely good indeed. I certainly hope there will be a blu-ray.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by theaussiefloydian »

Annoying Twit wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:08 pm The film, like the concert, is highly political. I can imagine people of certain political persuasions disliking it even if they like the music.
The thing is (and I haven't seen the film, but I assume his political messages are pretty much the same as on ITTLWRW) a lot of the "f[redacted] Trump" stuff he says could very well have translated into "f[redacted] Clinton" had she won in 2016. If you listened to him then it was clear that he couldn't stand her either, so had she won all it would have taken was to tweak a couple of SFX on the album and it would be more or less the same.
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

theaussiefloydian wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:48 pm
The thing is (and I haven't seen the film, but I assume his political messages are pretty much the same as on ITTLWRW) a lot of the "f[redacted] Trump" stuff he says could very well have translated into "f[redacted] Clinton" had she won in 2016. If you listened to him then it was clear that he couldn't stand her either, so had she won all it would have taken was to tweak a couple of SFX on the album and it would be more or less the same.
Sorry, I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. Could you please repost a paraphrase? Are you commenting on Roger fitting the political message to the politician, or are you saying that Clinton would have been the same as Trump had she been elected?
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Annoying Twit wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:55 pm Are you commenting on Roger fitting the political message to the politician
That one. Sorry, my post made a lot more sense in my head.
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

theaussiefloydian wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:57 pm
Annoying Twit wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:55 pm Are you commenting on Roger fitting the political message to the politician
That one. Sorry, my post made a lot more sense in my head.
Thanks. I've got to be careful as I live and work in a liberal left wing bubble and I've made the mistake before of assuming that others are. I was just checking if you were of a 'Killary'/'Lock her up!' person. I would have changed my reply if so.

Having listened to a few of Rog's Russia Today interviews today, I can see that he's consistently anti-politician, and of the opinion that it doesn't matter who gets in, the same thing - more or less - ends up happening. I think Obama was the best president in a long long time, and he still sent the drones in and established countries. (I have a Libyan friend and have heard descriptions of the situation there.) So, I'm not entirely unsympathetic to Rog's views. However, Trump getting in does perhaps give Roger more opportunity to remind us how the lyrics from Animals are perhaps even more pertinent now than they were then.

Though, in Australia you are nearer to the land of Jacinda Ardern, who I think seems to be one of the few reasonable politicians in the world. ... goes off to google if Rog has said anything about her ... Nope. Can't find anything. But, I certainly can't see Roger writing as critical lyrics of her as he has done about Trump and others.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

Roger isn't the first to put on spectacular shows with music and visual to get across his political message - they did pretty much the same thing during the Nuremberg Rallies
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I do wish he would calm the political side of things down. I guess that has been the context of much of his music so it is only a natural progression to make the shows political too. But it is a bit divisive to see so much politics in a music show.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

And I didn't think he wanted thought control.

As you may know I work in education and one of the government policies we have to promote is 'Prevent'. This is a government policy to stop radicalization. If a student started spouting off some of the stuff Rog has been saying we would have to report it
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Annoying Twit wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:08 pm I was just checking if you were of a 'Killary'/'Lock her up!' person.
Oh, heavens no :lol: . I most definitely had my issues with Clinton, but not quite to that level.
Annoying Twit wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:08 pm Though, in Australia you are nearer to the land of Jacinda Ardern, who I think seems to be one of the few reasonable politicians in the world.
I haven't been back to my homeland of the island Down Under in quite some time, so I've only had the most vague idea as to what is happening there right now. But if Roger hasn't explicitly called her out, then that's good (though I haven't seen him say anything about Bill Shorten either, and there's a lot to say about that guy to my understanding.
drafsack wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:28 pm As you may know I work in education and one of the government policies we have to promote is 'Prevent'. This is a government policy to stop radicalization. If a student started spouting off some of the stuff Rog has been saying we would have to report it
So Another Brick in the Wall, Pt. 2 is as relevant as ever then? (if you don't mind me saying so - I mean no judgement on you of course)
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

theaussiefloydian wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:01 pm
drafsack wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:28 pm As you may know I work in education and one of the government policies we have to promote is 'Prevent'. This is a government policy to stop radicalization. If a student started spouting off some of the stuff Rog has been saying we would have to report it
So Another Brick in the Wall, Pt. 2 is as relevant as ever then? (if you don't mind me saying so - I mean no judgement on you of course)
its not to prevent free speech its to prevent radicalization - so someone in authority (and Rog due to his position in society is in authority) saying hate Trump (even though he is odious was freely elected) hate jews, hate capitalism (even though his $310 million fortune is as a result of capitalism) is borderline radicalization.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

drafsack wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:30 am
theaussiefloydian wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:01 pm

its not to prevent free speech its to prevent radicalization - so someone in authority (and Rog due to his position in society is in authority) saying hate Trump (even though he is odious was freely elected) hate jews, hate capitalism (even though his $310 million fortune is as a result of capitalism) is borderline radicalization.
Oh OK that does make sense. Seems I half misunderstood, and I do agree with you - I have observed some troubling behaviour in my brothers classmates before so having measures in place to stop people getting hurt is a good thing.