What would a tour supporting The Final Cut have been like?

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Re: What would a tour supporting The Final Cut have been lik

Post by Hadrian »

I have a vague recollection of a Radio K.A.O.S. bootleg (these days, it would technically be a playlist) combining the songs from the album (8 in total) with those only released on the album-related singles (3 in total) plus the songs from When The Wind Blows OST (there are 2 in total: "Towers Of Faith" and "Folded Flags"). It creates a fuller album of 13 songs, combining everything from the 1986-1987 period, with a different sequencing of songs for a slightly more tolerable listening experience (I don't recall what the actual sequence is anymore, but I am sure a song list can be found online somewhere). I remember listening to it, and thinking that it would've been a better product than what was actually released (but there is only so much you can do with it, of course).
Luca
Axe
Axe

Post by Luca »

I know that bootleg, yes... Fish report with a beat, bimbo school and so on. However, from a narrative point of view Radio Kaos is so silly and convoluted that nothing could save it: on youtube there's a interview with Waters refusing to recap the story-arc of the album... It's Billy's fault if an ashamed Roger never took off his sunglasses in those days 8) Anyway, Kaos is not a total loss: a remastered edition with bonus tracks (Going to live in LA, Get back to radio, Molly's song) would almost save the day.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

Luca wrote:I know that bootleg, yes... Fish report with a beat, bimbo school and so on. However, from a narrative point of view Radio Kaos is so silly and convoluted that nothing could save it: on youtube there's a interview with Waters refusing to recap the story-arc of the album... It's Billy's fault if an ashamed Roger never took off his sunglasses in those days 8) Anyway, Kaos is not a total loss: a remastered edition with bonus tracks (Going to live in LA, Get back to radio, Molly's song) would almost save the day.
Those 2CD/1 DVD editions are popular with some bands these days. I think it will all come down to not many people buying it. I feel it should be asked. 1 CD album and bonus tracks recorded but left off. Disc 2live and demos and the DVD being the EP, documentary about the album and some live track footage.
Even though I feel "Is This The Life We Really Want" is really his best, I'd still buy this Radio KAOS if it became commercially released.
But strangely I am not wanting it right now, or even what's left of the decade!
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

When DualDisc format debuted back in late 2004 (CD on one side, DVD on the other), I had this naive hope that record companies might start reissuing albums which include a concert film of the album's stage show on the DVD side. That kind of audio/video combo would've been very interesting for acts like Pink Floyd or Roger Waters which actually bothered to perform the entire album, presuming they filmed the shows of course. Alas, it did not go that way.

p.s.
Another thing that I was hoping for there were Pink Floyd related movie/soundtrack discs.
The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by The Gunner's Dream »

Hadrian wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:37 pm I quickly looked online (the setlist wiki) to see what Roger Waters played live over the years from The Final Cut album.

09. The Fletcher Memorial Home (10 November 1987)

So I've been looking for a live 1987 version of "Fletcher memorial home" for years now after hearing this rumor of it being performed on November 10, 1987. I finally found a recording of that concert (posted below). Starting around 90 minutes in is where "Fletcher" is supposed to appear according to the set list. Roger doesn't sing one single note from the song, and aside from him strumming a G major chord I can't discern anything even resembling that song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLHx6WOQoys
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

The Gunner's Dream wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:56 am ... So I've been looking for a live 1987 version of "Fletcher memorial home" for years now after hearing this rumor of it being performed on November 10, 1987 ...
A major disappointment, as clearly the addition of the track was maybe to mark Memorial Day on 11 November.

OFF TOPIC -

Apologies for the rather geek nature of what to follow ... but it may be of interest to our Canadian readers -

Keen readers of the November issue of Sky & Telescope may have noted that the upcoming transit of Mercury will be in progress at 11 am EST on November 11. The Remembrance Hall, deep within the Canada War Museum in Ottawa, has a single window orientated so that at 11 am EST on every November 11 the Sun shines directly onto the tombstone of "the unknown warrior":

https://www.warmuseum.ca/cwm/exhibition ... day_e.html

This year's transit being in progress at that moment is appropriate since the Roman god Mercury is very famously portrayed on the cap badge of the Royal Canadian Corps of Signals, a component within the Canadian Armed Forces' Communications and Electronics Branch:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Communica ... ics_Branch

RCCS is involved in Information Operations, Network Operations, and Intelligence Operations.

There is a cunning plan to try projecting the image of Mercury on the Sun onto the tombstone, for a televised "press opportunity".
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Re: What would a tour supporting The Final Cut have been like?

Did anyone who bought the Vernon Fitch book about the making of The Final Cut still post here?
Have you screenshots of could quote a few pages please?
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

Jimi Dean Barrett wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:39 pm Did anyone who bought the Vernon Fitch book about the making of The Final Cut still post here?
I have the book, but do not understand the question ... ](*,)
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

twcc wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:59 pm
Jimi Dean Barrett wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:39 pm Did anyone who bought the Vernon Fitch book about the making of The Final Cut still post here?
I have the book, but do not understand the question ... ](*,)
Ah those nights! Well if you have a copy could you summarize a few chapters?
MoreOrLess
Blade
Blade

Post by MoreOrLess »

A tour with a "Waters" and "Gilmour" set could actually have been quite interesting. Maybe the former could have moved beyond just being a full performance of TFC? I could see a few songs from The Wall working quite well with the theme of the album given that one arguably grew out of the other, maybe some older material as well that fit into the general theme like Money, Us and Them or shortened versions of Pigs or Dogs.

The Gilmour set could be more classic material that didn't fit in with that and maybe some of his solo stuff(Short and Sweet?) or older Floyd Acoustic stuff like Fearless and Fat Old Sun. I'm guessing at that stage it would have been an arena/mid sized venue tour rather than stadiums which could suit such material.
mabewa
Axe
Axe

Post by mabewa »

The Gunner's Dream wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:56 am
Hadrian wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:37 pm I quickly looked online (the setlist wiki) to see what Roger Waters played live over the years from The Final Cut album.

09. The Fletcher Memorial Home (10 November 1987)

So I've been looking for a live 1987 version of "Fletcher memorial home" for years now after hearing this rumor of it being performed on November 10, 1987. I finally found a recording of that concert (posted below). Starting around 90 minutes in is where "Fletcher" is supposed to appear according to the set list. Roger doesn't sing one single note from the song, and aside from him strumming a G major chord I can't discern anything even resembling that song.

I'm a contributor to Setlist FM, and I've just deleted the reference to the song based on this video. They may have intended to play it, but as you say, there is nothing even resembling the song there. It's quite a stretch that this is even an aborted performance of the song.
mabewa
Axe
Axe

Post by mabewa »

mabewa wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:52 am
The Gunner's Dream wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:56 am

I'm a contributor to Setlist FM, and I've just deleted the reference to the song based on this video. They may have intended to play it, but as you say, there is nothing even resembling the song there. It's quite a stretch that this is even an aborted performance of the song.
And to expand on my own post, from listening to the recording, it really sounds like this happened:

Roger mentioned Remembrance Day, and was going to dedicate 'Filthy Hands/Southampton Dock' to his dad (which would have made sense), but then the PA system went out. When they seemed to have gotten it back on, they did an impromptu version of 'Set the Control' to test things out, and then went back into 'Filthy Hands/Southampton Dock' as originally planned. Indeed, Roger's chord strumming sounds a lot more like what he does at the beginning of Filthy Hands than any rearranging of Fletcher than I can imagine.
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

Great info, thanks for checking that video. Yes, I think that the song was indeed intended for that set, but it seems the performance did not materialize for technical reasons.

I know that The Final Cut is not everyone's cup of tea, but I really wish Waters performed that entire album as a set somewhere and made a video of it as a release. It is still not too late to do that either (if anyone has any contact, do petition for it, it would be quite an event - and we want the 13 song 2004 version too, with "When the Tigers Broke Free" included).
Djgilmour
Blade
Blade

Post by Djgilmour »

Hadrian wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:08 pm Great info, thanks for checking that video. Yes, I think that the song was indeed intended for that set, but it seems the performance did not materialize for technical reasons.

I know that The Final Cut is not everyone's cup of tea, but I really wish Waters performed that entire album as a set somewhere and made a video of it as a release. It is still not too late to do that either (if anyone has any contact, do petition for it, it would be quite an event - and we want the 13 song 2004 version too, with "When the Tigers Broke Free" included).
The Final Cut is a great great great album!
DarkSideFreak
Knife
Knife

Post by DarkSideFreak »

SurrogateMember wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:11 pm About the touring band, my best bets would be Tim Renwick on guitar/bass (he played on the PACOHH tour and with Gilmour-led Floyd as well), Michael Kamen on keys (played on the TFC album and PACOHH tour), Andy Bown on organ/bass (played on Wall tour, TFC and PACOHH) and Andy Newmark on drums (played on TFC/PACOHH tour), with the two Not Now John backing singers and Raphael Ravenscroft (played on TFC and Gilmour's '84 band), with the three main members doing their obvious parts.

A great spectacle, at least in my head :lol:
Andy had to divide time between his PF guest job and Status Quo though...