One Slip - 2019 Remix

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

One Slip - 2019 Remix

Post by theaussiefloydian »

The 2019 remix for "One Slip" is now out on streaming services, and I'm not totally sure what I think yet. A lot of the quibbles I have with how it sounds probably have more to do with my headphones that seem to be pretty bass-heavy, but the more I listen to it the more I find that I think it's interesting. Does it constitute an improvement? I'm not sure yet. It's nice to hear Wright's contributions though, which do go a long way to make the song sound more "Floydian".
mabewa
Axe
Axe

Re: One Slip - 2019 Remix

Post by mabewa »

Thanks for the tip! I just downloaded it on I-tunes, and love it!

Observations: The intro/break sections is still pretty 80-ish with cheesy drum effects left in, but after THAT, for the vocal parts, it has a much more timeless sound. The drums during the vocal sections are way more organic and not at all 80's sounding, and you can really hear Rick. Rick's tasty organ playing is *all over* it. It's clear that they did a great job of lifting his parts from live performances.It sounds a lot more like Pink Floyd now!

Yeah, it does have a heavier bass sound than the original, but nothing that should be a problem unless you have very bass-heavy headphones. That's basically the sound of David Gilmour, Rick Wright, Nick Mason and Tony Levin playing together, plus some female backing vocals (sounds lower in the mix than the original) and maybe a bit of Carin on the intro/breaks. Nice stuff. Now I'm really excited for the entire remix--just wish I could afford it...
mabewa
Axe
Axe

Post by mabewa »

From the Wikipedia page on the song:

'"One Slip (2019 remix)" from the box set, The Later Years 1987–2019 was released as a single on 24 October 2019 on Spotify and 25 October 2019 on YouTube and iTunes. The song contains newly recorded drums by Nick Mason and organ parts by Richard Wright lifted from 1987-89 live performances, replacing the song's original drum and keyboard parts.'

That pretty much confirms what I hear: the vocal sections of the song appear to be all Nick on drums and all Rick on keyboards.
FreeFour
Knife
Knife

Post by FreeFour »

I love the new keyboard parts, Rick’s Hammond playing really sparkles in the mix

Less fond of the new drums. Because the drums are now lower in the mix and the bass has been elevated for me I find it quite a “muddy” mix overall
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

FreeFour wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:22 am Less fond of the new drums. Because the drums are now lower in the mix and the bass has been elevated for me I find it quite a “muddy” mix overall
My thoughts too to an extent, though i found that the new mix grew on me with repeated listens. The new drums, while quiet, are very good though because they do feel more human, if you know what I'm getting at
mabewa
Axe
Axe

Post by mabewa »

theaussiefloydian wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:30 am
FreeFour wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:22 am Less fond of the new drums. Because the drums are now lower in the mix and the bass has been elevated for me I find it quite a “muddy” mix overall
My thoughts too to an extent, though i found that the new mix grew on me with repeated listens. The new drums, while quiet, are very good though because they do feel more human, if you know what I'm getting at
I just gave both versions a comparison listen, and I'm not sure the new drums are much quieter at all. They are a lot less sharp-sounding and less intrusive, due to the more normal production, mostly. And definitely more human! But very audible.

But the bass IS much louder. Which I like, as it makes the song sound punchier to me, plus I'm a huge Tony Levin fan. Before, it was a weird combination between techno and prog, and now it's more of a driving rock song--the cranked-out organ also helps with that. I think it suits the song, as it was always one of their most 'normal' sounding songs, save for the breaks. The old production sounded dressed-up to me, like they were trying to cover it in bells and whistles. The thing is, though, it's a great pop song (and that's not a bad thing), and it works better with the simpler and less cluttered arrangement.

It sounds like the mixer wanted to accomplish one thing above all: make it sound like Dave, Rick, Nick and Tony are playing together, centering them in the mix, losing a lot of the layering and annoying 80's effects.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

It is interesting to hear it remixed. Sounds a lot punchier. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pA26asdVH1E
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Keith Jordan wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:57 pm Sounds a lot punchier. :-)
That's the word I was looking for!
Nooma Sheen
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Nooma Sheen »

I love it.
I’ve been hoping AMLOR would get such a treatment, and I’m not disappointed from what I’ve heard.

I’ve always been a fan of that album, bought it the day it was released, know it inside out, saw them on the tour several times, etc. Anyway, it’s one of my fave records, and these improvements have always been welcome, to me.

“One Slip” isn’t even one of my fave tracks but this version really elevates it. The drums sound like classic rock drums instead of a Madonna record; the Hammond sounds perfect, the bass riff is mightier. Even the guitars are more transparent and defined at the beginning, along with the sound effects. Those voices sound a lot cooler up front.

I wish they’d release the remix as a stand-alone. So far, so good in my book.
nameeman
Embryo
Embryo

Post by nameeman »

I love that the Bass is in yo face, of course I love Tony Levin's stick playing.
Drums sound more clear to me and he nailed the parts of course.
I LOVE that you can hear Richard Wright's leslie in the mix!
<ii> <ii> <ii> <ii>
mabewa
Axe
Axe

Post by mabewa »

Yes, it's a lot punchier!

I'm impressed that almost everything is a lot more audible in the mix, except for the drums (and they are still plenty audible). Strip away all the production clutter, and you can really hear the original instruments, including Rick's part that wasn't even in the original mix.

The thing about AMLOR is that it always had good melodies and chord sequences, and Dave's playing was always good as usual. Now that you can hear everything more clearly and now that you actually have substantial instrumental input from Nick and Rick, it all comes together much more nicely. I'm hoping that the rest of it sounds this good.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

mabewa wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:50 am The thing about AMLOR is that it always had good melodies and chord sequences, and Dave's playing was always good as usual. Now that you can hear everything more clearly and now that you actually have substantial instrumental input from Nick and Rick, it all comes together much more nicely. I'm hoping that the rest of it sounds this good.
Having finally settled on "I love this new mix", I cannot wait to hear the rest of it, in particular "Learning to Fly", "On the Turning Away", "Yet Another Movie / Round and Around" and "Sorrow".
PinkPhishPhan
Embryo
Embryo

Post by PinkPhishPhan »

Love it!

Love Nicks new drum tracks, it’s more timeless without that boomy 80’s snare.

And yes Ricks Hammond and his synth sounds are clear, on each right and left channel.

Can’t wait for the rest! Way to go gents.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

The more I listen to this mix, the more I feel that this mix has made this song sound almost stadium rock in genre. I'm not saying that's a bad thing though, as it captures the energy thats present in Delicate Sound of Thunder and PULSE and is still a vast improvement over the 80s production of the original
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

As per usual, I'm way behind everybody and am just catching up now.

One Slip certainly has an improved sound with the remix - but it isn't one of my favourite songs on AMLoR, and it still isn't. Yes, this tones down the 80s production, but I think it's far from an exceptional song.

As others said on the thread, Sorrow is fundamentally a great song, and the remix remains great. One Slip has been polished considerably, but the fundamental song isn't up there with Dave's best.