The Later Years 1986-2014

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Re: The Later Years 1986-2014

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

theaussiefloydian wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:37 am
Jimi Dean Barrett wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:52 pm The remaster of Sorrow premieres on YouTube tomorrow the 22nd!
Now THIS is the moment I've been waiting for.
https://youtu.be/l_LbAz9Dn_w

It's a sale for the sampler at least and will pick up the album when eventually sold separately.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by theaussiefloydian »

New mix of Sorrow is a lot more atmospheric and desolate than the original. Nice!
mabewa
Axe
Axe

Post by mabewa »

It's a lot of fun listening to these new versions as they arrive, but a little sad that we only get one more AMLOR remix from the 'highlights' album, at least for people like me who aren't going to pay 350 bucks for the whole boxed set and who don't go for streaming.
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

First off, I’ve listened to the AMLOR version maybe twice, so I’m not a good judge of the differences, but I still don’t hear much keyboard and the drums... sigh, I think he went for the drum machine style and sound perhaps for consistency, but IMO we ended up with the worst of both worlds. An even stiffer than normal Mason with real drums that sound like an 80s drum machine. My sorrow reference is te PULSE versions (album + video), and it’s one of the few songs that Mason essentially handles alone and tends to improvise the most on (within his limitations of course), and he’s had 32 years to redo the absolutely shameless (but very 80s) use of a drum machine and I’ve got to say that I’m frankly... underwhelmed. It’s not musical at all, it doesn’t follow the guitar solo like live, it’s still got the random, sloppy, loud 16s on the snare mmmm I’ll get over it. If there are other drummers out there contact me and we’ll form a support group.
mabewa
Axe
Axe

Post by mabewa »

raisemyrent wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:28 am First off, I’ve listened to the AMLOR version maybe twice, so I’m not a good judge of the differences, but I still don’t hear much keyboard and the drums... sigh, I think he went for the drum machine style and sound perhaps for consistency, but IMO we ended up with the worst of both worlds. An even stiffer than normal Mason with real drums that sound like an 80s drum machine. My sorrow reference is te PULSE versions (album + video), and it’s one of the few songs that Mason essentially handles alone and tends to improvise the most on (within his limitations of course), and he’s had 32 years to redo the absolutely shameless (but very 80s) use of a drum machine and I’ve got to say that I’m frankly... underwhelmed. It’s not musical at all, it doesn’t follow the guitar solo like live, it’s still got the random, sloppy, loud 16s on the snare mmmm I’ll get over it. If there are other drummers out there contact me and we’ll form a support group.
I'm not a drummer, so I can't comment on that, besides to say that I like the acoustic drumming better but felt that the drum machine on the original version worked surprisingly well. It does seem that Nick is trying to imitate the robotic nature of the drum machine, for what that's worth.

What I can't understand is not hearing more keyboards. Granted, or the first few minutes, the new parts are very subtle, but after the bridge, they are really hard to miss. Especially in the extended instrumental outro. There is nothing like that at all on the original version.
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

thanks, I guess I hear keyboards, but being used to the PULSE versions, maybe they're even subtle, but compared to the album, it's a huge change. I really do need to go listen to the 'original' album version and I presume the difference will pop out. I've just got a show to get ready for and I haven't even learned some of the songs lol

re the drums I might've exaggerated, but Gilmour said they wanted it to be less dated, more timeless, and have a go at it more as a band... but then the drums sound like the drum machine? I guess it's a bit confusing while musically, it does nothing for me, and doesn't sound ike pink floyd... still.
mabewa
Axe
Axe

Post by mabewa »

raisemyrent wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:56 pm thanks, I guess I hear keyboards, but being used to the PULSE versions, maybe they're even subtle, but compared to the album, it's a huge change. I really do need to go listen to the 'original' album version and I presume the difference will pop out. I've just got a show to get ready for and I haven't even learned some of the songs lol

re the drums I might've exaggerated, but Gilmour said they wanted it to be less dated, more timeless, and have a go at it more as a band... but then the drums sound like the drum machine? I guess it's a bit confusing while musically, it does nothing for me, and doesn't sound ike pink floyd... still.
I went back and listened to the Pulse version, and I can hear Rick's organ, though it's not as loud as in the new version, and Rick doesn't seem to be jamming out as much as on the new version. It seems to me that for the remix, they went for Rick parts where he was really stretching things and embellishing, but as Pulse was being recorded and filmed, he might have not been taking as many chances. Oddly, I can't hear Rick doing much differently at all on the DSoT version--there is some textural stuff that's probably him, but it's closer to the album version.

As for the drums, in another thread someone pointed out that while all of the other songs feature only Nick on drums, Sorrow is a mix of Nick and the original drum machine. They may have felt that the kind of robotic feeling of the rhythm section was something too important to change, especially with the bass parts also being kind of machine-like.
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

mm i'd have to go and listen to pulse but at least in the video yo can see Rick going at it on the organ.
I'm 2.5 minutes into the song and the drums are identical on old and new version... mmm
right. I stopped about 30s before it ended but it's the same drums on both. I synched them and there's nothing to hear here folks. same drums. just remixed sound. no wonder I felt that way in my above posts. to that note, thanks for the info, it doesn't fully or really sound like a drum machine so it being a mix makes sense. not 100% sure I feel that they should've left those drums the same, but whatever... I will still listen to the epic pulse cd version or the ones from when I was present at the RAH or so :)
khegs202
Axe
Axe

Post by khegs202 »

Off topic but I just rediscovered this forum less than half an hour ago and logged in for the 1st time in 9 years. Even somehow remembered my username and password.
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

haha nice. welcome back.

the new pink floyd podcast, episode 1, has the 'new' marooned 'demo' playing in the background right after they start talking about the division bell. I got chills; love that song.
mabewa
Axe
Axe

Post by mabewa »

The podcast is pretty interesting, yes, and features some nice little tidbits off the boxed set.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I enjoyed the podcast, brings that history of the band back alive again in terms of their creative process. Not nice to hear David talk about the battle with Roger Waters though and the effect on the rest of the band on a mental health point of view. Very sad.
Vegetable Layne
Axe
Axe

Post by Vegetable Layne »

Was that the new version of Terminal Frost that features in the podcast? Cause the drums seems so wonderfully alive and the music more vibrant than I ever remembered it was.
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

Good catch. Definitely Nick now on that one; you don’t hear the roll snare hits as before (kind of an obscure technique actually - I forget the name).
The marooned demo is worth the purchase to me. Gilmour seems to be going mental; I love it. Sounds different to the other one floating around on the internet.
VERY worried about the CN edits... I think they’re keeping their cards close to their chest, though. Though maybe the footage for those bits of the solo were lost from the beginning and hence the edits. I really doubt that.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by theaussiefloydian »

I'm pretty sure the mix of Signs of Life in the podcast is the new mix too. There was a new melody in the right speaker I've never heard before