Richard Wright at Live 8 - your thoughts?

Discuss all things Richard Wright from his epic keyboarding to the wonderful songs he created for the band!
gatherroundandhaggle
Embryo
Embryo

Richard Wright at Live 8 - your thoughts?

Post by gatherroundandhaggle »

I was watching (for the umpteenth time!) the footage of the Floyd reunion at Live 8 2005 recently, and it struck me again how little footage of Richard Wright there is! There's more of the backing singer than of him, and there are plenty of shots of Gilmour, Waters and Mason. It's almost as if the cameramen and editors didn't know he was a member of the band! Is this just me, or has anyone else thought so too?
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Richard Wright at Live 8 - your thoughts?

Post by Keith Jordan »

Unless you are Keith Emerson, you don't get much screen time if you are not the lead guitarist or vocalist. :-;
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

I did notice his white hair at the keyboards, but really for me and my friend (watching on TV, we weren't there) all eyes were on Roger and Dave's expressions.
And I imagine a lot of others were doing the same!
gatherroundandhaggle
Embryo
Embryo

Post by gatherroundandhaggle »

Keith Jordan wrote:Unless you are Keith Emerson, you don't get much screen time if you are not the lead guitarist or vocalist. :-;
Hmm, yes ... but there were plenty of shots of the bassist and the drummer!
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

I think your original theory could well be right. Someone not familiar with Pink Floyd would've easily missed Rick.
moodyblue
Hammer
Hammer

Post by moodyblue »

I wouldn't give the cretins at the BBC any creedence in knowing anything about Pink Floyd. I too think Rick wasn't in much of the live feed and I have no idea why.
tonmo
Embryo
Embryo

Post by tonmo »

Haven't posted since 2007 but came here because of this.

I'm absolutely convinced the booth producer, director, and perhaps cameramen did not realize / appreciate the significance of Rick's presence. I have rarely watched this footage because of it... Which I suppose is silly... but it really annoys me!
mabewa
Axe
Axe

Post by mabewa »

I've long felt the same thing. It's a great performance, but the lack of Rick is shameful. Really wish that they had other footage of it.
Master_Chief
Blade
Blade

Post by Master_Chief »

I've often thought Pink Floyd should've played Time and Breathe Reprise instead of Speak to Me and Breathe. That way each member that sang throughout Pink Floyd's back catalogue would've had a chance to sing a solo part and the TV directors would've had no choice but to show Rick singing his pieces.

I also struggle to watch the Live 8 performance though. It was a mega event when it was live, but since then I always feel a pang of sadness that Rick's basically ignored. Such a shame!
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

It was a nice touch getting together for Live 8. Didn't really notice how little white of Rick there were, but he's there and nothing takes away from the audio experience of Pink Floyd reuniting with Roger for one show.
Imagine the if only and how things could have turned out for 1985 Live Aid?
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

Jimi Dean Barrett wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:06 pm nothing takes away from the audio experience of Pink Floyd reuniting with Roger for one show.
Waters doesn't add much to the audio experience. His vocals sound like shit on WYWH. The appalling lack of Rick Wright and the annoying spectacle of Waters acting like some attention whore diminishes the video experience.
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

I believe Rick knew by then that he was suffering from cancer. And, maybe that's why he didn't want to be in the focus of the cameras during Live 8 event. Rick was a very privat person.
DarkSideFreak
Knife
Knife

Post by DarkSideFreak »

space triangle wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:23 am I believe Rick knew by then that he was suffering from cancer. And, maybe that's why he didn't want to be in the focus of the cameras during Live 8 event. Rick was a very privat person.
Didn't keep him from touring with David the following year and even singing quite a few bits 8)
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

DarkSideFreak wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:07 pmDidn't keep him from touring with David the following year and even singing quite a few bits 8)
Maybe he felt better at the time. But I dunno, I'm just speculating. 8)
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

I support the theory that the director didn't know that Rick was a core member of the band. I don't think Rick made a decision not to be in the spotlight.

While I would prefer that Rick be featured more, or that Roger sang better, I don't let those details get in the way of enjoying the footage for what it is.