The Later Years 1986-2014

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The Later Years 1986-2014

Post by Keith Jordan »

There are a lot of discs to get through, I will let you know when I am even remotely through this treasure trove of material. 8)
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Check our my Pink Floyd Later Years 1987-2019 Unboxing Photos. I will start listening to the material in there this evening. :-)
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

dj865 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:28 am The expression “polishing a turd” springs to mind here.
They say you can't polish a turd - but you can roll it in glitter and this is an exercise of making low quality floyd material shine a bit. Basicly if you want the few gems hidden within like the cleaned up version of DSoT and some out takes you have to stump up £320 for a load of stuff you don't want or need like 5.1 versions - even though I don't have a surround around system - blu ray discs even though I don't have a blu ray player - posters, programmes and laminates/tickets - I already have those so don't need them again and other bits of assorted tat. At the end of the day it this is another exercise in ripping off fans who want a few of the gems but have to pay through the nose to get them and ensure DG can push his $175 million fortune closer to Rog's $310 million fortune
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

drafsack wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:32 pm At the end of the day it this is another exercise in ripping off fans who want a few of the gems but have to pay through the nose to get them and ensure DG can push his $175 million fortune closer to Rog's $310 million fortune
And no one kills the children anymore.
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

I think the record company sets the price. High. Because they can.

I was happy to hear on the latest podcast episode that the cover image is all real, instead of CGI, which I would’ve sworn was the case at least for the lamp posts. It looks a bit touched up, which it is, but I now know it’s real and that makes a difference hehe
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I really did think it was CGI! Those swivelling lampposts look great, I need some in my garden!
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

I got the box as well. My wife is going to kill me when it arrives. I still haven't heard the end of it regarding The Early Years, which I am yet to fully consume due to ongoing hectic hurricane that one's life turns into with multiple toddlers. As long as those discs don't change colour on me before I get to them, everything included will (eventually) be meticulously studied. \:D/
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

^^^
I have a few more sleeps until my box arrives ... will have to be patient :-;
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

twcc wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:41 pm ^^^
I have a few more sleeps until my box arrives ... will have to be patient :-;
I also have a few more sleeps until it arrives on a torrent site :twisted:
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

Haha. I considered telling my wife to buy me the box for the holidays but she looked at me like I was crazy. And crazy it is to pay $500-600 CAD for 1-2 new outtakes, some ~30 year old material and some albums and dvds I already have. The cover is really cool, though.
mabewa
Axe
Axe

Post by mabewa »

All I can say is that when they get around to putting out the AMLOR remix as a standalone release, I'll be a first-day buyer. And I'd be eager to pay for the expanded DSoT and the DB outtakes too. Just release them as CDs and I'm there.
mabewa
Axe
Axe

Post by mabewa »

I was looking at the Later Years thread on the Steve Hoffman board, and a lot of people are saying some pretty nice things about Division Bell outtakes.

Also, interestingly, this site seems to indicate that the audio material will be available online, though it's not available for pre-sale yet. This is what I was hoping for!

https://www.highresaudio.com/en/album/v ... remastered
mabewa
Axe
Axe

Post by mabewa »

Also, here is a pretty good article about the AMLOR remix. I like this Andy Jackson quote:

'“We'd been intending to get Rick into the studio [for the remix, prior to his passing in 2008],” Jackson says. “We had lots of recordings of the Momentary Lapse tour, and I combed through them for Rick's playing. I think it was actually quite serendipitous to do that, because Rick was always at his best when he was ‘off the leash,’ rather than with the structure of studio recording.”'

And this one:

'I think there's always been a tendency to believe the Pink Floyd was all about David and Roger. But actually Nick and Rick are absolutely vital part of it sounding like Pink Floyd. I think the revisions on this album really show that.”';

And he confirms that the lead vocal of 'On the Turning Away' is indeed pulled from a live performance:

'...there was a do-over that he did on the track “On the Turning Away” as it now features an alternate lead vocal from him. “He'd always felt that he didn't sing it as his best,” Jackson says. “So again we pulled it off in a live recording, which by then he had ‘warmed up’ by about 100 shows.”'

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidchiu/ ... c4fde13ecf
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

The digital version just showed up as available: https://www.highresaudio.com/en/album/v ... remastered

There are 46 tracks, so it is not the whole box. From what I can tell, Knebworth is not there, The Division Bell, Pulse, any vinyl singles.
mabewa
Axe
Axe

Post by mabewa »

Damn, 'not available in your territory.' (Japan)