The Later Years 1986-2014

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
mabewa
Axe
Axe

Re: The Later Years 1986-2014

Post by mabewa »

Djgilmour wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:11 am
azza200 wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:18 pm Dogs of War's DSOT new mix is really good that thumping bass during the sax solo WOW. In fact the bass driving thru the whole song is amazing it takes the song to another level. Which was hidden on the original
When there was no internet we had this fanzine “The Amazing Pudding”
They had a top 10 of worst PF songs.
Number one was “dogs of war” if I remember correctly, just before Seamus on 2.
I guess that people don't like PF songs about dogs! Just kidding--I love Dogs and also quite like Seamus.

My main problem with Dogs of War, besides the 80's production on the original version of AMLOR is the lyrics: they are really hackneyed. I actually like a lot of the lyrics on AMLOR, especially on Sorrow, but DoW sounds like a bad attempt to imitate Roger's lyrics. I'm encouraged by the descriptions of the new mix of the song, but don't imagine that I will ever love it, due to the lyrics.
mabewa
Axe
Axe

Post by mabewa »

More interesting comment from Andy Jackson about Rick's parts:

“We combed through hours of recorded shows,” reveals Jackson, “obviously using material for the Delicate Sound Of Thunder live album release but there’s loads more, and picked out the best keyboard parts. They were playing to click so they all fitted well, and where they didn’t quite slot in we tinkered until they did. In truth, Rick’s playing onstage was more ‘off the leash’ and lively than in the pressure of the red studio light, so it was actually a really good move.“One of my only regrets from making all these albums with the band is that we never got to make them in the Pro Tools era, because the freedom it provides could have made both Nick and Rick relax a lot more and, I think, some of it could have been better. Endless River is Pro Tools but it’s the only one, and there’s no new Rick.”

https://www.psneurope.com/studio/andy-j ... ater-years
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

mabewa wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:37 am Andy Jackson: "where they didn’t quite slot in we tinkered until they did"
In other words they spent a lot of time polishing the turds. Tinkering like pop producers to make a turd shine.

It's a bit ridiculous to observe how some folks need to polish the turd polishers. First the turd is polished, then the turd polishers are polished. There are those who will never allow themselves to admit that pink floyd is capable of manufacturing and releasing crap.
Djgilmour
Blade
Blade

Post by Djgilmour »

Kerry King wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:40 pm
mabewa wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:37 am Andy Jackson: "where they didn’t quite slot in we tinkered until they did"
In other words they spent a lot of time polishing the turds. Tinkering like pop producers to make a turd shine.

It's a bit ridiculous to observe how some folks need to polish the turd polishers. First the turd is polished, then the turd polishers are polished. There are those who will never allow themselves to admit that pink floyd is capable of manufacturing and releasing crap.
AMLoR has 10 songs on it. 3 are crap (dogs of war, new machine 1, 2). For the rest it is a good album.
Better than the first side of Meddle to name one!
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

Kerry King wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:40 pm [quote=mabewa post_id=630037 time=<a href="tel:1576395441">1576395441</a> user_id=29615]
Andy Jackson: "where they didn’t quite slot in we tinkered until they did"

[/quote]
Well, it’s a re release of old stuff. Not sure what you were expecting. The same old chords and the wall leftovers? Roger has been doing that for 30 years...
mabewa
Axe
Axe

Post by mabewa »

From my point of view, AMLOR always had a few things going for it:

1). Great variety and contrast of songs and moods.

2). Nice chord progressions (even Roger has copped to this)

3). Good melodies.

The problems:

1). Lack of personality in the playing, due to not much Nick and Rick and too many session musicians.

2). Way too much 80's glop overproduction.

3). Some dodgy lyrics, especially on Dogs of War. Mind you, I LIKE Pink Floyd lyrics even back on albums like Atom Heart Mother when Dave and Rick were contributing and Roger was still writing stuff like 'If I was a swan I'd be gone,' so I don't expect PF to have brilliant lyrics all the time. Songs like Learning to Fly, One Slip, Yet Another Movie and especially Sorrow work fine for me lyrically, but On the Turning Away is a bit too sentimental, and Dogs of War is pretty hamfisted lyrically. So it's lower-quality lyrically than the stuff from DSotM on, but still has a lot of nice lyrical moments.

Anyway, the new mix removes problem #1 and #2, which to my ears makes the album anything but a polished turd. It's a good (not great) album that was hindered by the production and dominance of session musicians but no longer has those problems.
PinkPhishPhan
Embryo
Embryo

Post by PinkPhishPhan »

We’ve been debating about whether we love or hate certain aspects of the later years (and the early years are creeping in this thread).... But let’s get to it.... when are one of you going to rip some of this box set and put a torrent out? Heavens. :)

](*,) :-;

Or rather... can anyone give us some info on what the Pulse disc looks like? Seems like only a couple of us bought this box set because it’s so expensive.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by theaussiefloydian »

PinkPhishPhan wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:35 am We’ve been debating about whether we love or hate certain aspects of the later years (and the early years are creeping in this thread).... But let’s get to it.... when are one of you going to rip some of this box set and put a torrent out? Heavens.

I'd give it a few days. As someone who rips Blu Rays then recodes the rip to a smaller file, I can confirm that takes hella time so the video aspects will not be up for some time. The CDs though, they will be pretty quickly I would say
mabewa
Axe
Axe

Post by mabewa »

Kerry King wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:40 pm

The comment about 'where they didn’t quite slot in we tinkered until they did' is referring to putting live keyboard parts in a studio recording. Basically, Rick going nuts in a live show ('Dogs of War' sound borderline unhinged), so yeah, of course, it's not always going to fit in on a recorded track perfectly at first.

But actually very different from what pop producers do. A pop producer would do something like 'tune' a studio vocal track, not paste a unique and spontaneous keyboard eruption on to a formerly polished studio recording.

Of course, it would be ideal just to have Rick going nuts in the studio instead of having to look for good live takes. But obviously, that's not an option in this case. And I do think that Jackson's comment about Rick often doing his best work live is an important point. It's possible that they actually got cooler and more spontaneous takes by using live recordings.
PinkPhishPhan
Embryo
Embryo

Post by PinkPhishPhan »

theaussiefloydian wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:43 am
PinkPhishPhan wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:35 am We’ve been debating about whether we love or hate certain aspects of the later years (and the early years are creeping in this thread).... But let’s get to it.... when are one of you going to rip some of this box set and put a torrent out? Heavens.

I'd give it a few days. As someone who rips Blu Rays then recodes the rip to a smaller file, I can confirm that takes hella time so the video aspects will not be up for some time. The CDs though, they will be pretty quickly I would say
Yea. I can imagine. There are so many discs, it’s crazy. I’m hoping whoever can do it, doesnt compress it much. I don’t mind if the downloads take an hour :lol: I want to see that Pulse BR so bad.

I know it wasn’t filmed in HD, and I read that David regrets not filming it in 16x9. But you’d hope the transfer quality is greatly improved. (Fingers crossed) anyone see it yet?
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Pulse was filmed to video tape I think not 35mm cinema film. It is noticeably different to the other content.
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

I made myself a live album version of A Momentary Lapse of Reason (since all the tracks are now available via TLY), and had a listen. It works very well, the only strange transitions come from the disjointed audience screams between the tracks. It is great to hear songs that used to start/end in a fadein/fadeout on the studio version now with a proper beginning and end in the live setting.

By far the best version of that album imho (if one could get rid of the audience noise altogether).
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by theaussiefloydian »

Keith Jordan wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:21 pm Pulse was filmed to video tape I think not 35mm cinema film. It is noticeably different to the other content.
Looked it up on IMDb, it says it was filmed on digital videotape, so the Blu Ray will probably look about as good as say a Blu Ray of Doctor Who from 2005 - it's not gonna be HD, but it will still mark a huge step up in quality.
Its a shame they didn't film PULSE on film. That way a full HD remaster would be possible
PinkPhishPhan
Embryo
Embryo

Post by PinkPhishPhan »

theaussiefloydian wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:07 am
Keith Jordan wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:21 pm Pulse was filmed to video tape I think not 35mm cinema film. It is noticeably different to the other content.
Looked it up on IMDb, it says it was filmed on digital videotape, so the Blu Ray will probably look about as good as say a Blu Ray of Doctor Who from 2005 - it's not gonna be HD, but it will still mark a huge step up in quality.
Its a shame they didn't film PULSE on film. That way a full HD remaster would be possible
Yea, I can't believe they didn't go all the way with quality after doing AMLOR in 35 mm. I guess at the time of planning, videotape was considered better, easier.

The Wall was shot on 35mm too. I imagine Roger is the one holding that from being released and won't do it just to spite the others. :roll: But if we got it these days, it would surely look sharp like the new AMLOR quality.
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

Apparently, and I wish I could quote them, they have been very clear that the wall just doesn’t look good. Yes it was 35mm film but it was too dark and they just can’t stomach releasing it. You can find it even on YouTube sometimes. If the film is too dark there’s not a lot you can do to bring it back.
Is there anybody out there is shaky as it is; lots of hiss and the like. Plus some really uninspired organ solos to make time.

Someone on yeeshkul quoted jon Carin saying something interesting things. amongst them was that the Minimoog solina etc were used on the division bell and it wasn’t those pesky kurzweils. But he mentioned that he plays all piano on marooned, which bursts a 20+ year old pink Floyd bubble for me. Sigh. I always thought the piano was a bit busy for Wright but I had imagined this perfect track made by 3 guys and nothing else. Oh well.