Richard Wright - Broken China

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate this album

5 - Best
31%
19%
29%
13%
1 - Worst
9%

Total votes: 70

dj865
Blade
Blade

Re: Richard Wright - Broken China

Post by dj865 »

Does anyone know why its so hard to access this album? I have spotify and amazon music and neither have it to stream. Pricing up physical copies, it looks really expensive!

I'd like to hear this album, as Ive never heard it and I love Richard's playing :)
JasonNormand
Embryo
Embryo

Post by JasonNormand »

Eclipse wrote: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:05 pm My favorite solo album. Very atmospheric and emotional, i can never get tired of it.
This and Roger'a ATD are the pinnacle of the PF's solo careers, and are IMO as good as DSOTM, Animals (but not as great as WYWH, since nothing can be).
Same here my favorite solo album It is so emotional truly touched my heart :D
moodyblue
Hammer
Hammer

Post by moodyblue »

dj865 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:21 pm Does anyone know why its so hard to access this album? I have spotify and amazon music and neither have it to stream. Pricing up physical copies, it looks really expensive!

I'd like to hear this album, as Ive never heard it and I love Richard's playing :)
Ebay seems to have very reasonably priced copies of this cd!
mabewa
Axe
Axe

Post by mabewa »

It's very likely my favorite solo album from any PF member. Dark, emotional and heavy, and very Floydian.
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

Strange enough but I found this dark and brooding album a very suitable listening experience in theese times.
crofloyd
Hammer
Hammer

Post by crofloyd »

Who handles Rick's catalog now and is there a specific reason that his work isn't available online?
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

crofloyd wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:25 pm Who handles Rick's catalog now and is there a specific reason that his work isn't available online?
How it isn't available online? It is on the Spotify. And it's available on the Amazon as well.
dj865
Blade
Blade

Post by dj865 »

Is broken China on Spotify? It wasn't when I last subscribed (last summer). I'm now on tidal and it's not there either. Oh and it's also quite tricky to get your hands on a physical copy at an affordable price
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

dj865 wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:25 pm Is broken China on Spotify? It wasn't when I last subscribed (last summer). I'm now on tidal and it's not there either. Oh and it's also quite tricky to get your hands on a physical copy at an affordable price
Unless I'm looking in the wrong place, Rick isn't on Spotify at all. Disappointing.
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

Btw, why is this album name just 'Broken China'? I know it's all about Rick's wife Millie's depression. But, why the title 'Broken China'? Why not 'Broken Japan' or 'Broken Korea' or whatever? :lol:

Not that it matters so much, I'm just curious.
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

China as in china clay rather than the country, fragile, porcelain and the like ?
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

twcc wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 7:02 pm China as in china clay rather than the country, fragile, porcelain and the like ?
You are absolutely right ‘twcc’. For some reason it never occurred to me. Although the album cover itself with broken pieces of porcelain/clay suggests that. I always followed the logic that since the album is about clinical depression that Rick and his then wife tried after all with some Chinese medicine too. :roll:

Thanks for the clarification.
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

space triangle wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 12:44 pm
twcc wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 7:02 pm China as in china clay rather than the country, fragile, porcelain and the like ?
You are absolutely right ‘twcc’. For some reason it never occurred to me. Although the album cover itself with broken pieces of porcelain/clay suggests that. I always followed the logic that since the album is about clinical depression that Rick and his then wife tried after all with some Chinese medicine too. :roll:

Thanks for the clarification.
This sort of thing happens to me. I sometimes get some impression of something and then always view it through the lens of the impression. It can take quite some time/effort to overcome the error.
Master_Chief
Blade
Blade

Post by Master_Chief »

Didn't the press pack of the album come with a genuine piece of Broken China? :lol:
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

^^^
I didn't know that, a lo-res EPK is available somewhere ... plus the text of part of the press pack is in Storm's book where he talks about the original image was offered to 10-cc with the diver and circle looking more like a 10. The Richard Wright concept for the album was four stages of life/depression and picking up the pieces or putting a broken person back together.