The Later Years 1986-2014

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Re: The Later Years 1986-2014

Post by theaussiefloydian »

raisemyrent wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:19 am Apparently, and I wish I could quote them, they have been very clear that the wall just doesn’t look good. Yes it was 35mm film but it was too dark and they just can’t stomach releasing it. You can find it even on YouTube sometimes. If the film is too dark there’s not a lot you can do to bring it back.
I could have sworn that the videos on YouTube were sourced from fan recorded 8mm film
mabewa
Axe
Axe

Post by mabewa »

Hadrian wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:54 pm I made myself a live album version of A Momentary Lapse of Reason (since all the tracks are now available via TLY), and had a listen. It works very well, the only strange transitions come from the disjointed audience screams between the tracks. It is great to hear songs that used to start/end in a fadein/fadeout on the studio version now with a proper beginning and end in the live setting.

By far the best version of that album imho (if one could get rid of the audience noise altogether).
Good idea--I'm going to try that myself (I did that with On an Island a while back too...)

The only thing is that to me, the live version of One Slip is the weakest part of the album. I think that the studio remix is by far the best version of the song. But the rest of the AMLOR tracks sound great on the remixed DSOT.
Master_Chief
Blade
Blade

Post by Master_Chief »

I find that the DSOT remix is the best part of what I've listening to on Spotify. It's high time they've finally released the entirety of AMLOR and Welcome to the Machine. I mean they've been available on bootlegs before, some in rather good quality, but it's incredible it's taken this long for it to be released in officially.

Sorrow is tremendous live and way better than the studio version, with the solo abruptly stopping and merging into the intro solo again sounding simply glorious. Gilmour's voice in Welcome to the Machine as well is superb, and I just cannot think why it was omitted from the original release.

One of the reasons why One Slip probably doesn't flow well in comparison to the rest of the AMLOR songs is that it is later in the set and essentially an encore. It feels like it's played with much more gusto than the rest of the "new" material. Plus the Guy Pratt bass solo has always been an incredible addition to me.

It's a shame they haven't released the version of One Slip from Oakland in 1994. Maybe it just wasn't captured professionally by them. Also Marooned live in Norway would've been nice to hear as well.
Djgilmour
Blade
Blade

Post by Djgilmour »

PinkPhishPhan wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:35 am We’ve been debating about whether we love or hate certain aspects of the later years (and the early years are creeping in this thread).... But let’s get to it.... when are one of you going to rip some of this box set and put a torrent out? Heavens. :)

](*,) :-;

Or rather... can anyone give us some info on what the Pulse disc looks like? Seems like only a couple of us bought this box set because it’s so expensive.
Hdbits.org has all of “the early” years. But it was 6 months after release that they put it all up. I hope someone will do a nice 720p rip of DSoT on piratebay!
mabewa
Axe
Axe

Post by mabewa »

Master_Chief wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:24 pm I find that the DSOT remix is the best part of what I've listening to on Spotify. It's high time they've finally released the entirety of AMLOR and Welcome to the Machine. I mean they've been available on bootlegs before, some in rather good quality, but it's incredible it's taken this long for it to be released in officially.

Sorrow is tremendous live and way better than the studio version, with the solo abruptly stopping and merging into the intro solo again sounding simply glorious. Gilmour's voice in Welcome to the Machine as well is superb, and I just cannot think why it was omitted from the original release.

One of the reasons why One Slip probably doesn't flow well in comparison to the rest of the AMLOR songs is that it is later in the set and essentially an encore. It feels like it's played with much more gusto than the rest of the "new" material. Plus the Guy Pratt bass solo has always been an incredible addition to me.
I agree with you about Welcome to the Machine--the only reason I can think of as to why it was omitted was lack of LP space, but it's certainly a great version.

You're probably right about One Slip. Listening to it more, it's mostly Gilmour's lead vocals that aren't quite there in comparison to the rest of the album. I also think they try to make it too funky--the more driving studio remix works better for me.

But overall, it's become a superb live album, and a historically important document, as it captures the entirety of the most common setlist for that tour.
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

mabewa wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:59 am I did that with On an Island a while back too...
Yes, a truly wonderful version
DarkSideFreak
Knife
Knife

Post by DarkSideFreak »

mabewa wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:22 am2). Way too much 80's glop overproduction.
Although I personally never had an issue with the sound on AMLOR (I'm after all a big fan of Tears for Fears and Rush... and the latter, I think, went much further in the 80s sound with albums like Power Windows...)
mabewa wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:22 amRoger was still writing stuff like 'If I was a swan I'd be gone,' so I don't expect PF to have brilliant lyrics all the time....
I once re-dubbed that song as "If i could sing and rhyme I could maybe write a song" [-D-]
Djgilmour
Blade
Blade

Post by Djgilmour »

How is the video quality of the P.U.L.S.E. Blu-ray?

Is it better than the 1995 DVD release?
mabewa
Axe
Axe

Post by mabewa »

DarkSideFreak wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:42 pm
mabewa wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:22 am2). Way too much 80's glop overproduction.
Although I personally never had an issue with the sound on AMLOR (I'm after all a big fan of Tears for Fears and Rush... and the latter, I think, went much further in the 80s sound with albums like Power Windows...)
mabewa wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:22 amRoger was still writing stuff like 'If I was a swan I'd be gone,' so I don't expect PF to have brilliant lyrics all the time....
I once re-dubbed that song as "If i could sing and rhyme I could maybe write a song" [-D-]
Heh heh, yeah I'm a big Rush fan too, and Power Windows is a good example of a very 80''s-sounding album. I'm not a fan of the production on that one either, though I do quite like the harder, colder production on Grace Under Pressure.

As for 'If,' it's an interesting song in that it's a preview of some of Roger's future lyrical preoccupations, but it has some cringeworthy lines. Post-Waters Floyd also has cringeworthy lines, but I'm able to enjoy both.
mabewa
Axe
Axe

Post by mabewa »

I'm really enjoying the DB studio outtakes--some really good stuff there. Not sure why they didn't get used on Endless River, but maybe it's because they are kind of more organic and song-ish, as compared to the more abstract stuff on Endless River. What really strikes me is how melodic they are--despite the lack of lyrics, a few of them are getting stuck in my head. Personally, I think that Dave should have written lyrics for them, as they really seem like tracks that would sound good with vocal parts.
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

mabewa wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:50 am I think that Dave should have written lyrics for them
How many songs has Gilmour written lyrics for in his 50+ year career?

If I were a swan I'd be gone is a fine song lyric. It fits the melody and the spaced out mood of the song. On the other hand, Leaving the myriad small creatures trying to tie us to the ground is awkward. It does not exactly flow off the tongue. Overall High Hopes is a better song though. Probably the peak of the post Waters floyd.
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

I do agree the lyrics for If are ok. At least that line. Funny, without checking and off the top of my head If is the same song as pigs on the wing and especially goodbye cruel world. Possibly quite a few more. Basically every Roger song sounds like another Roger song since about the final cut. Creative genius...

Can anyone confirm if the new DSOT video has the extended comfortably numb solo like the audio?

Re the new 1994 outtakes. Some are blues and are fun but not transcendental. Ricks theme needed work but it’s a diamond in the rough. Slippery guitar is the one that sounds like anisina meets then I close my eyes? That one had potential too. In credit to Roger, it seems like the 3 guys had more than enough snippets of music to make at least a couple decent albums, but the drive and “creativity” to make 1. It takes a lot to make a complete concept album etc and the division bell was just about it. The endless river works but it could’ve been developed even more. Of course without Rick they did what they could. Maybe in a perfect world Roger would’ve been around and along to shape it all into something, but then again it would be super angry political and contextual. Boring.
In contrast for AMLOR and the subsequent tour, they had the chops time and drive but very little substance went into the actual compositions. I’m always a bit surprised that they toured for 2-3 years and didn’t write one single song. The live arrangements for the old songs are pretty basic too.
That reminds me, I would’ve thought that they might throw an Easter egg in there, with at least an audio from a pub performance... what did they call themselves? When some of the band members in 88-89 would go down to the pub under a different name and play, blues was it??
mabewa
Axe
Axe

Post by mabewa »

Kerry King wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:20 am
mabewa wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:50 am I think that Dave should have written lyrics for them
How many songs has Gilmour written lyrics for in his 50+ year career?

If I were a swan I'd be gone is a fine song lyric. It fits the melody and the spaced out mood of the song. On the other hand, Leaving the myriad small creatures trying to tie us to the ground is awkward. It does not exactly flow off the tongue. Overall High Hopes is a better song though. Probably the peak of the post Waters floyd.
My point is that they sound like songs that should have lyrics. They are almost Beatlesque in places. I'd be even happier if Roger was to write lyrics for them, but seeing as that's unlikely, Dave and/or Polly should have done.

As for 'If I were a swan I'd be gone,' it sounds like the kind of stuff I wrote in junior high school. I enjoy Roger's early lyrics, but it's hard to deny that he became much better and more consistent with DSotM. I still enjoy the lyrics of 'If,' but mostly because lyrics like 'If I go insane, please don't stick your needles in my brain' give us an interesting sneak-preview of his later lyrical preoccupations.

BTW, I wonder who wrote the lyrics for songs like 'Seamus' and '"The Gold It's in the...,' Roger or Dave? They just seem so... basic for Roger lyrics.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

But then you try being in an abusive marriage or band etc with one member taking control of the lyrics or taking control and going "No that's not good enough!" all the time, so when free from this*, you can understand the fear Dave would have about writing all the lyrics.

*=Can't find the interview but one, either Rick or Nick said Roger became a prefect marking their stuff. That's not healthy, even dickish by today's standards. Any sane person would have laughed in Roger's face! In fact the more we learn about the band the more we appreciate just what just got done from the band.
I've thought, you might have thought what it would have been like to be a member of Pink Floyd? I'm pretty sure if possible to glimpse every reaction would be "Yeah, I'll just listen to them instead, I can't possibly work with them as people!".
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

Someone has uploaded DSOT,Knebworth onto YT watch before they get taken down

DSOT - Comfortably Numb is incredible well the entire new edit is amazing
https://youtu.be/WFUfOpEMIR8

Knebworth 90
https://youtu.be/SciZ_OpSt5s

Yet Another Movie/Terminal Frost DSOT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvR0hcSmcFE