Was Syd Barrett a Tory?

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
scarecrow
Blade
Blade

Was Syd Barrett a Tory?

Post by scarecrow »

https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/arts ... ett-a-tory

Seems an odd question for David Goodheart to ask, and I don't feel too convinced he has a grasp of the difference between 'small c' conservative and the Tory (aka Conservative) part.

T. Hammond (comments section) seems to have a more sensible take?

Btw Sylvia Patterson seems to make a fairer assessment of Damon Albarn in her memoir 'I'm not with the band' imo
A Syd Casualty
Axe
Axe

Re: Was Syd Barrett a Tory?

Post by A Syd Casualty »

Being a Tory then and now are two different things

Now , if you aren't one of them they want you dead.

Then , they at least wanted you to live so you could work all the hours god sends to make them rich.

<ii> :D
mabewa
Axe
Axe

Post by mabewa »

Yeah, being a Tory was different then, but also the author of the article doesn't provide any evidence that Syd was indeed a Tory. I'd be curious as to where he gets his information.

For what it's worth, boy, he does seem to hate Roger.
scarecrow
Blade
Blade

Post by scarecrow »

Right, yes, this was a while ago, come to think of it, and yeah if I remember right, then Goodhart was one of several journalists at the time who couldn't resist having a pop at Waters.
mabewa
Axe
Axe

Post by mabewa »

scarecrow wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:11 am Right, yes, this was a while ago, come to think of it, and yeah if I remember right, then Goodhart was one of several journalists at the time who couldn't resist having a pop at Waters.
I don't find it unbelievable that Syd might have been a Tory, but I'm interested in where the journalist is getting his info from. He seems pretty confident, but doesn't provide any citations or other reasons as to why he believes that.
scarecrow
Blade
Blade

Post by scarecrow »

Hmm, I think ultimately it's a flippant article, and whilst I can appreciate every hack needs a hook of some sort (or maybe its a case of an irrelevant title added by a sub-editor), it seems a rather discompassionate report of this tribute concert or public wake of sorts.

Strange to come across this article anyway (via some other Floyd related wormhole) during election time as it's not a burning question for me... maybe something to do with search engines.
the author of the article doesn't provide any evidence that Syd was indeed a Tory. I'd be curious as to where he gets his information.
Same perhaps might go for Julian Palacios, despite 'Dark Globe: Syd Barrett and Pink Floyd' being in many ways a briliant book, certainly incredibly detailed levels of research, I'm not too sure about the various conjencture and fictions seemingly interwoven. I suppose he's allowed to do that... Assuming the second comment below this article was his, maybe it's an interesting take but also just some guy's opinion presented rather confidently...