3. The Wall
4. The Dark Side of the Moon
5. Meddle
6. The Division Bell
7. Atom Heart Mother
8. Obscured by Clouds
9. The Final Cut
10. Saucerful of Secrets

Special note: The Division Bell fan-edit that includes The Endless River in it and is called Forever and Ever would be ranked at the nr. 5 spot.
scarecrow
Blade
Blade

Re: Top 10 Pink Floyd Albums

Post by scarecrow »

Currently:

1) Piper at the Gates of Dawn (mono)
2) Animals
3) Momentary Lapse of Reason (2019 mix)
4) Meddle
5) Saucerful of Secrets
6) Dark Side of the Moon
7) Wish You Were Here
8) Ummagumma
9) Obscured by Clouds
10) The Wall

I suppose 'Tonite Let's Make Love in London/ London 66/67' doesn't count, but that'd be up there (also Relics + Masters of Rock/ Best of Pink Floyd).
Luca
Axe
Axe

Post by Luca »

This thread reminds me that there are Floyd albums I never listen to 8-[ : I even prefer Nick Mason's not-so-solo albums to Saucerful or Piper. Now I'm listening mostly to the Amlor remix and the TLY unreleased recordings.
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

1. The Dark Side of the Moon
2. Animals
3. Atom Heart Mother
4. Wish You Were Here
5. Obscured By Clouds
6. The Wall
7. Meddle
8. The Endless River
9, Sauceful Of Secrets
10.More
Master_Chief
Blade
Blade

Post by Master_Chief »

This is always hard for me, as I tend to have favourites from each album instead. But at a push...

1) The Final Cut
2) The Wall
3) Animals
4) The Division Bell
5) The Dark Side of the Moon
6) Wish You Were Here
7) A Momentary Lapse of Reason
8) Obscured by Clouds
9) Ummagumma
10) The Endless River

This is of course omitting boxset releases with extra content such as the Immersion Boxsets, The Early Years and The Later Years as well as live albums (in which case Pompeii would be a solid third in the above list).

Factoring in solo studio albums by the band members then Amused to Death would slot into number one and Rattle That Lock somewhere around fifth or sixth.
DrNakano
Embryo
Embryo

Post by DrNakano »

1) Wish You Were Here
2) Live At Pompeii (I know it's not technically an official album, but it is epic beyond belief IMO)
3) Atom Heart Mother
4) More OST
5) Animals
6) Dark Side Of The Moon
7) Saucerful Of Secrets
8) Meddle
9) The Final Cut
10) Ummagumma
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

DrNakano wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:24 pm (3) Atom Heart Mother

5) Animals
You have now been disqualified.

No big deal. We all know what top 10 lists are worth.
dj865
Blade
Blade

Post by dj865 »

Master_Chief wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:15 pm This is always hard for me, as I tend to have favourites from each album instead. But at a push...

1) The Final Cut
? each to their own!

Here's mine, studio only.....

1. Dark Side of the Moon
2. The Wall
3. Wish You Were Here
4. Animals
5. Meddle
6. Atom Heart Mother
7. Division Bell
8. Endless River
9. Piper at the Gates of Dawn
10. Saucerful of Secrets
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

dj865 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:05 am 8. Endless River
This amounts to scribbling a line across your top 10 list and scrawling "VOID".
dj865
Blade
Blade

Post by dj865 »

Kerry King wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:10 am
dj865 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:05 am 8. Endless River
This amounts to scribbling a line across your top 10 list and scrawling "VOID".
Odd comment...the Endless River made it on your list too?!

Admittedly, Piper isn't for everyone (kinda like how the final cut, and momentary lapse are quite divisive albums for a lot of people), but I like it.

I was just initially surprised to see someone putting final cut in the top spot. I'm intrigued to know.... (and I'm not just looking for an argument here!) but what is it about that album that makes it better than DSOTM, for example? I love Roger, but the final cut is not a great album in my opinion
flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by flashback »

Remember Floyd fans opinions are like assholes,every1 has one.One's tastes in music is to one's own liking and is fluid ever changing over time.There are many things that can effect one's tastes,age,mind set,the things going on in one's life,and others.I may not agree with your likes in music but I must remember that I have my own that you may not like and agree to disagree on personal reasons.
Master_Chief
Blade
Blade

Post by Master_Chief »

dj865 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:59 am
I was just initially surprised to see someone putting final cut in the top spot. I'm intrigued to know.... (and I'm not just looking for an argument here!) but what is it about that album that makes it better than DSOTM, for example? I love Roger, but the final cut is not a great album in my opinion
For me it's the lyrical content that stands out. I find Gilmour's solos on "Fletcher Memorial Home" and "The Final Cut" to be some of my favourites of his, as well as the closure of the final song "Two Suns in the Sunset".

"Not Now John" has a drilling sound on it that just works in my opinion, and it's also one of the heaviest Floyd songs second maybe to "The Nile Song".

The only song I'm not too keen on from the album is "Paranoid Eyes", but even that song tells a story and features intriguing sound bites of the main character in a pub and trying to fit back in with society.

I know it's not necessarily a nice-sounding album and not something you can play in the background or even sing along to, but to me it's one of the Floyd's strongest lyrical albums. The second verse of "The Gunners Dream" in particular is superb, and the title track perfectly alludes to the previous story from The Wall.

But as I also said I find it harder to rank Floyd albums, instead preferring to rank a favourite from each album... :roll:
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

dj865 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:59 am Odd comment...the Endless River made it on your list too?!
No. I have no list.
However, I have a sense of humor about lists. So don't take me too seriously.
dj865
Blade
Blade

Post by dj865 »

Master_Chief wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:49 pm
For me it's the lyrical content that stands out. I find Gilmour's solos on "Fletcher Memorial Home" and "The Final Cut" to be some of my favourites of his, as well as the closure of the final song "Two Suns in the Sunset".

"Not Now John" has a drilling sound on it that just works in my opinion, and it's also one of the heaviest Floyd songs second maybe to "The Nile Song".

The only song I'm not too keen on from the album is "Paranoid Eyes", but even that song tells a story and features intriguing sound bites of the main character in a pub and trying to fit back in with society.

I know it's not necessarily a nice-sounding album and not something you can play in the background or even sing along to, but to me it's one of the Floyd's strongest lyrical albums. The second verse of "The Gunners Dream" in particular is superb, and the title track perfectly alludes to the previous story from The Wall.
You've actually enticed me to go listen to it again [-D-]