Golden age of the NPF

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

Re: Golden age of the NPF

Post by The Gunner's Dream »

Lot's of memories of days gone by. For about 5-6 years following Live 8, this forum was a happening place. As others have stated many times, social media killed this forum, as well as many others. I look back fondly of all the great discussions (and arguments) some of us had. I was an immature prick at the time but had a lot of fun here.
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

The Gunner's Dream wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:48 pm Lot's of memories of days gone by. For about 5-6 years following Live 8, this forum was a happening place. As others have stated many times, social media killed this forum, as well as many others. I look back fondly of all the great discussions (and arguments) some of us had. I was an immature prick at the time but had a lot of fun here.
Howdy 'The Gunner's Dream' :)

I have a question: Was that you (or 'massed gadgets'?) who used to do Mike Oldfield covers on the piano? I quite remember the whole Ommadawn cover. It was really well done. It was done on the piano + some guy playing bass guitar too. I would love to hear/see it again. 8)
The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

Yeah, I used to do a lot of Mike Oldfield arrangements on piano back in the day. I think Massed Gadgets played guitar, don't know if he plays piano. I'm playing full time for a living now days, don't have much time for projects like I used to. If you want to hear us playing Mike Oldfield, there are some videos on youtube under my name, Gus Fogle. We have a video of us doing Amarok and one of Incantations.
The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

Thinking about it, I believe PublicImage is still around under the name Kerry King (which in itself is an ancient reference to the forum's "Slayer Wars" waged in the summer of 2006). He may also be Idisaffect, maybe "Kerry King" can confirm. Remember back when instant messaging through hotmail was popular? There was actually a point at which mybreakfast (Alan), PublicImage (Roger) and myself were all in the same chat. We were all roughly the same age but had a lot of cultural differences with both of them being from the UK and myself being an American. What a crew though!

Some of my favorite memories are Idisaffect (Jeff) and me razzing mosespa at every turn. There were some epic "mossifications" back in the day. Nowdays, there's not even anybody left to mossify.

*shrug*
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

The Gunner's Dream wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:05 am Yeah, I used to do a lot of Mike Oldfield arrangements on piano back in the day. I think Massed Gadgets played guitar, don't know if he plays piano. I'm playing full time for a living now days, don't have much time for projects like I used to. If you want to hear us playing Mike Oldfield, there are some videos on youtube under my name, Gus Fogle. We have a video of us doing Amarok and one of Incantations.
Thanks Gus. 8)

I'm listening to Amarok just now. Well done. I'll listen to Incantations later, too!
DarkSideFreak
Knife
Knife

Post by DarkSideFreak »

The Gunner's Dream wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:48 pm Lot's of memories of days gone by. For about 5-6 years following Live 8, this forum was a happening place. As others have stated many times, social media killed this forum, as well as many others. I look back fondly of all the great discussions (and arguments) some of us had. I was an immature prick at the time but had a lot of fun here.
"killed" is a bit harsh, at least it still exists unlike APFFN which died in a blazing fire :cry: I wish more people from the old APFFN days would sign up here...
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

How come APFFN was closed down? I didn't really visit much.
henno

Post by henno »

jambo wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:57 am It certainly was a lot of fun, especially running the bootleg tracker.

It's a shame it got squashed by PFM.

I posted far too many times on the forum though. Unhealthy.
Jambo ya weird aussie fecker !!! long time no hear :D
DarkSideFreak
Knife
Knife

Post by DarkSideFreak »

Keith Jordan wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:31 pm How come APFFN was closed down? I didn't really visit much.
It's a sad story... I joined when there was barely any participation. Then, more and more new people were joining, and the place became alive again. It was only a small base of regulars but good enough for Paulo (the admin) to return, clean up all the spam and update it to a sparkling new XenForo theme, doing a raffle with the TDB 20 set etc.

There were a few fallouts/flame wars between members, though, and we were missing something like a good moderator (in the old days, there were six mods). I couldn't do it because I wasn't online often enough...

One of our regulars (@Outside-Looking In) had posted, a bit foolishly, on another forum that he might become appointed mod. This attracted a group of bullies who joined APFFN then started to attack him. We defended him, an original member of APFFN from its glory days took it all wrong and then started having a go at the newer members every now and then, creating a rift.

Eventually, it escalated to a point when Paulo had enough (he had appointed @kelandwood as mod, but his authority was constantly undermined to a point when he was not sure about any moderating decision - political discussions were also problematic) and pulled the plug. It was a shame. :cry:

I lost contact to a lot of people, and I really think it should've not ended like this.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

It is a sad story. I will keep this forum alive for as long as I am alive!
flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by flashback »

Glad NPF never came to that,seems we always had pretty good Mods and Keith wouldn't take that shit.
DarkSideFreak
Knife
Knife

Post by DarkSideFreak »

Keith Jordan wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:46 pm It is a sad story. I will keep this forum alive for as long as I am alive!
Good to hear! [-D-] It was a last straw for us, we were apparently close to a forum ownership change, but that went to nothing. :(
flashback wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:05 pm Glad NPF never came to that,seems we always had pretty good Mods and Keith wouldn't take that shit.
I think the crux was the period of inactivity, which had led to the original mods disappearing or forgetting about the site. So when it became a more active community again, there was not much enforcement of rules. If you're an admin who appoints mods, you want to do them to do the day-to-day job and only have to care about the technical side of things. This didn't really work anymore.