Barrett w/ Pink Floyd albums or singles other than Piper?

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
Chrysoenlight
Embryo
Embryo

Barrett w/ Pink Floyd albums or singles other than Piper?

Post by Chrysoenlight »

Hello all. I'm quite impressed at the druggish sound of Piper at the Gates of Dawn, and after hearing the similarly trippy tracks "Vegetable Man," and "Scream Thy Last Scream," was wondering if there are lesser known Barrett w/ Floyd albums, singles, be it only on vinyl, or if at all? I just listened to Cambridge St recently, too.

Also, can someone recommend a similarly druggish sounding group or groups from the psychedelic sixties? Piper at the Gates of Dawn made me weep the first time I listened to it, I thought it was so beautiful.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Re: Barrett w/ Pink Floyd albums or singles other than Piper

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

Have you tried the first two albums by Soft Machine. No idea how druggy (if at all) they were.
Gong were good but came after the 60's.
How about The Stooges? But then not very psychedelic!
Welcome to the forum however.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

Chrysoenlight wrote:Hello all. I'm quite impressed at the druggish sound of Piper at the Gates of Dawn, and after hearing the similarly trippy tracks "Vegetable Man," and "Scream Thy Last Scream," was wondering if there are lesser known Barrett w/ Floyd albums, singles, be it only on vinyl, or if at all? I just listened to Cambridge St recently, too.
Barrett Floyd is limited to the album 'The Piper at the Gates of Dawn' (1967), a few contributions to the album 'A Saucerful of Secrets' (1968) and singles from 1967.
If you add 'Cambridge St' (of box set 'Early Years'), you'll have practically everything if you don't count different versions (performances/mixes) of the same title.
Chrysoenlight wrote:Also, can someone recommend a similarly druggish sounding group or groups from the psychedelic sixties? Piper at the Gates of Dawn made me weep the first time I listened to it, I thought it was so beautiful.
I think The Rolling Stones album 'Their Satanic Majesties Request' (1967) has a much in common with 'The Piper'.
And also listen to the singles they released in 1967. ('Dandelion', 'We'll Love You'.)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Their_Sat ... es_Request
Rooster1
Axe
Axe

Post by Rooster1 »

Chrysoenlight wrote:Hello all. I'm quite impressed at the druggish sound of Piper at the Gates of Dawn, and after hearing the similarly trippy tracks "Vegetable Man," and "Scream Thy Last Scream," was wondering if there are lesser known Barrett w/ Floyd albums, singles, be it only on vinyl, or if at all? I just listened to Cambridge St recently, too.

Also, can someone recommend a similarly druggish sounding group or groups from the psychedelic sixties? Piper at the Gates of Dawn made me weep the first time I listened to it, I thought it was so beautiful.
You could check out The Pretty Things. Some of their 1960's output falls into the category you mention.
AthousandMilesOfMoonlight
Blade
Blade

Re: Barrett w/ Pink Floyd albums or singles other than Piper?

Post by AthousandMilesOfMoonlight »

Some of the early Van der Graaf Generator stuff could be classed as quite 'druggy' sounding I suppose ;): check out the albums from 'The Least We Can Do Is Wave to Each Other' to 'Pawn Hearts'. Some of it might be a 'bad' trip, though! Also, a few of Peter Hammill's (van der graaf singer/songwriter) solo albums could also be quite 'druggy' sounding e.g. 'In Camera' (particularly 'Gog'/'Magog (in Bromine Chambers).

Sorry, this is a few years late!
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

Have you tried some of the Gong albums? 'Camembert Electrique', 'Flying Teapot', 'Angel's Egg'......Also, if You think 'The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn' is the ultimate dryggy and trippy psychedelia listen then 'Camembert Electrique'! You will not be disappointed. :o
AthousandMilesOfMoonlight
Blade
Blade

Post by AthousandMilesOfMoonlight »

I've listened to a bit of Gong over the years but find them, well, a wee bit shite to be honest! It's all subjective of course and is only my personal taste, perhaps my Gong epiphany is still to come :D
flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by flashback »

I rather like Gong's album Shamal
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

flashback wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:18 am I rather like Gong's album Shamal
I like the 'Shamal' too, even if the first three Gong alnums are my favourites.
flippikat
Axe
Axe

Post by flippikat »

The first 2 or 3 albums by Caravan are well worth checking out too.. as are a lot of Kevin Ayers albums.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

flippikat wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:16 am The first 2 or 3 albums by Caravan are well worth checking out too.. as are a lot of Kevin Ayers albums.
The 2003 reissue of Kevin Ayers' Joy of a Toy has a bonus track of "Religious Experience (Singing a Song in the Morning)" with none other than Syd on guitar.