Acetate of Echoes or just a Fake?

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
ledzep30513
Embryo
Embryo

Acetate of Echoes or just a Fake?

Post by ledzep30513 »

I'm am trying to identify the version of "Echos" here and find it in better quality. The version here is a bit muffled and muddy. The "Echoes" here is a very different version it would sound amazing if it could be had in better quality.

Title: Crazy Diamonds

Date: 1971; 1975

Source: Studio, from Acetate

Rating: EX+

Disc One:

1. Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Pts. 1-10) 29:05

2. Echoes 29:38

Total: 58:43

Comments: Recorded from a tape obtained at the Glastonbury Festival, 2002.

Notes below are from the tape. Whether these tracks are real or fake is

another matter; it is certainly from vinyl.

01 Shine On You Crazy Diamond Parts 1-10

Taken from the final acetate version before the final editing and mixing,

which reduced the length by omitting Part 9 and separating Parts 1-5 and

Parts 6-9. Part 9 appears here as Part 10.

02 Echoes

Taken from the acetate before the final editing and mixing, which cut the length

by approximately 6 minutes.

I found this "release" at g101, for those who know.

I have tried to research the limited info given to id the sources used and the possible dates involved to no avail. Any chance anyone has came across this before? I've been told it is a fan-edit, or a fan remix either way I don't know, Does anyone here know?

Thanks, Jim
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Acetate of Echoes or just a Fake?

Post by Hadrian »

Studio version of "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" as a single track, unsplit, Echoes-style, would be one of the Holy Grails. People have been trying to patch that up since the digital tools became available. If there is such a thing in existence, I suspect it would be a major selling point for the Immersion Set, and included there (why hold it back?). That is something that I always wanted to hear.
ledzep30513
Embryo
Embryo

Post by ledzep30513 »

Does anyone know if the "Echoes" version mentioned above is a fake or if it is a little known version?
Thanks, Jim
Loopen
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Loopen »

Hadrian wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:46 pm Studio version of "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" as a single track, unsplit, Echoes-style, would be one of the Holy Grails. People have been trying to patch that up since the digital tools became available. If there is such a thing in existence, I suspect it would be a major selling point for the Immersion Set, and included there (why hold it back?). That is something that I always wanted to hear.
The unsplit version of SOYCD surfaced around 10 years ago, I think, along with rough studio mixes of most of the songs from the WYWH and Animals albums. These can be easily found on various tracker sites.

Echoes is most likely a concert recording.
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

Hadrian wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:46 pm Studio version of "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" as a single track, unsplit, Echoes-style, would be one of the Holy Grails. People have been trying to patch that up since the digital tools became available. If there is such a thing in existence, I suspect it would be a major selling point for the Immersion Set, and included there (why hold it back?). That is something that I always wanted to hear.
Surely you have some software which allows you to make a seamless splice of the two parts yourself?
DarkSideFreak
Knife
Knife

Post by DarkSideFreak »

Kerry King wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:34 am
Surely you have some software which allows you to make a seamless splice of the two parts yourself?
You can't mix out the transitions/sound effects though...
TheLazenby
Knife
Knife

Post by TheLazenby »

For the record, there's a boot called "Ceci N'est Pas Wish You Were Here" that does a FANTASTIC job of patching both halves of Shine On together.

The only truly competent version I've heard, really (I know it's quite tricky).
TheLazenby
Knife
Knife

Post by TheLazenby »

Also, I downloaded "Crazy Diamonds" - literally SECONDS into Echoes, I can tell this is fake.

The opening pings lead to the "seagull" section, and the final verse - all edited onto the start of the song! Around 11 minutes in, the song starts over; you end up hearing the exact same "seagull" section twice, and the song fades out in a random spot. This is uh....

This is kinda awful, to be honest. XD

As for 'Shine On' - the extra length has a lot to do with the song being VERY slowed down - and after the song actually ends (with the "See Emily Play" riff), a random chunk of the song is just pasted onto the end.