royalties splits

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
dj865
Blade
Blade

royalties splits

Post by dj865 »

Something Ive been wondering lately is how the royalties have been divided up post Waters era. The main thing Ive gleaned is Waters retained The Wall (but PF and DG solo still performed certain tracks - CN, Run like hell, ABITWpt2)

The thing that got me thinking about this is the two boxsets - Early Years and Laters Years....presumably Rogers gets paid from material from Early Years, but nothing from Laters Years? Or how does it work?
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: royalties splits

Post by twcc »

I am sure the lawyers have this fully negiotated ... maybe that's why cost of the box sets are somewhat higher than eqivalent non-PF re-issues.
DarkSideFreak
Knife
Knife

Post by DarkSideFreak »

dj865 wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:29 am Something Ive been wondering lately is how the royalties have been divided up post Waters era. The main thing Ive gleaned is Waters retained The Wall (but PF and DG solo still performed certain tracks - CN, Run like hell, ABITWpt2)

The thing that got me thinking about this is the two boxsets - Early Years and Laters Years....presumably Rogers gets paid from material from Early Years, but nothing from Laters Years? Or how does it work?
Erm, not quite. Roger gets all royalties for tracks he co-wrote, and that includes all the tracks (co-)penned by him performed in concert on The Later Years.

In addition, he also has the rights to The Wall (and probably also The Final Cut) as complete pieces of work. If somebody wants to stage a live version of The Wall, it has to be OK'd by him.

This was a trade-off for giving up his share in owning the Pink Floyd name. It doesn't impact his royalties, and likewise David gets royalties every time Roger performs songs like CN or Run Like Hell, etc.
scarecrow
Blade
Blade

Post by scarecrow »

Re: live performances of the Wall - I don't see how you can be right about anyone needing Waters' permission for them to perform the Wall? That's not how musical rights work... no artist has the right to prevent anyone from covering their material, whether it's recording a cover version or performing it.

Unless there's some sort of licensing for theatre etc performances that I'm unaware of? That still seems unlikely?

I feel really pretty sure that Waters didn't grant Ben Wallers permission for The Stallion's reinterpretation of The Wall, although he may be deriving a tiny amount of royalties from it...

https://the-stallion.bandcamp.com/album ... f-the-wall
DarkSideFreak
Knife
Knife

Post by DarkSideFreak »

scarecrow wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:32 pm Re: live performances of the Wall - I don't see how you can be right about anyone needing Waters' permission for them to perform the Wall? That's not how musical rights work... no artist has the right to prevent anyone from covering their material, whether it's recording a cover version or performing it.

Unless there's some sort of licensing for theatre etc performances that I'm unaware of? That still seems unlikely?

I feel really pretty sure that Waters didn't grant Ben Wallers permission for The Stallion's reinterpretation of The Wall, although he may be deriving a tiny amount of royalties from it...

https://the-stallion.bandcamp.com/album ... f-the-wall
Maybe it only refers to actually performing it as a theatre piece (which it esentially is). I know I've read Waters' statement that he normally only OK's stagings by school ensembles and the like.

Still, I think if PF had played all of The Wall (even without actually building a wall on stage) without him, I'm sure there would've been some action from him.
scarecrow
Blade
Blade

Post by scarecrow »

Yes OK - that all does makes sense... I'm not much of a theatre guy myself.

I remembered that actually there is a (draft) script for the Wall accessible online:

https://archive.org/stream/PinkFloydsTh ... t_djvu.txt

I don't remember the finer detail of the film well enough to spot whether this script is much different... I somehow picture an obsessed Waters bashing this out at speed. There is a scene with a shaven headed Pink guzzling a bag of sweets... it's this sort of geekish and unnecessary interweaving of specific detail relating to Barrett which I find really dubious. I can't imagine Gilmour supporting it either.

Anyway, I suppose given there is this system of theatrical rights, it's fairly unsurprising that Waters would choose to uphold them and require permission... I can't imagine there being much uptake though - I'm not aware of anyone seeking to perform The Wall (theatre piece) in full?
DarkSideFreak
Knife
Knife

Post by DarkSideFreak »

scarecrow wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:19 am Anyway, I suppose given there is this system of theatrical rights, it's fairly unsurprising that Waters would choose to uphold them and require permission... I can't imagine there being much uptake though - I'm not aware of anyone seeking to perform The Wall (theatre piece) in full?
I'm sure a lot of tribute bands would love to do it. And I also think people could make quite a bit of money, since the album is still very popular. In fact there was a "Pink Floyd The Wall" show near where I live last year - I didn't go though - so maybe Roger softened his stance. Either that or they simply didn't play the whole shebang. I'm pretty positive they didn't build a wall on stage. :)
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

^ I want to see The Wall On Ice. Track 2 could get real interesting. And how would you like to see the judge skating right at you?
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

Kerry King wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:39 am ^ I want to see The Wall On Ice.
Pink Floyd and ice are great combination. :)

The Great Gig in the Sky by Pink Floyd

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bILl9Xd5LoQ