Broken China Tour

Discuss all things Richard Wright from his epic keyboarding to the wonderful songs he created for the band!
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Broken China Tour

Post by space triangle »

I have listened to Broken China several times in recent days. And, “drafsack“ thread 'The Final cut Tour' gave me an idea for this thread. :D

So, what would Rick Wright's world tour 1996/1997 look like?

1. set - Broken China the whole album

2. set - Mediterranean C. Against the Odds, Cat Cruise, Holiday, Pink's Song, Confusion, Voices, Cuts Like a Diamond, Paintbox, Remember A Day, See Saw, Summer 68

Encore

Great Gig In The Sky
Stay

It would be a great show, imo. \:D/
moodyblue
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Broken China Tour

Post by moodyblue »

Never did one single solo show and probably never would have.
Interesting set list idea though.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:55 pm These guys all played on Broken China (and Pino's wife even sang backup):

https://youtu.be/riieRcw5Z4w
Given Rick's love of jazz, his confessed embarrassment regarding his early Floyd tunes, and his reference to Zee's Identity as an "experimental mistake", I don't think he would've felt compelled to showcase his entire career, but would rather have taken the opportunity to indulge with the top-notch musicians he was able to bring together for Broken China. Smaller venues, like the On An Island tour. The whole of the album, naturally, but in between it's four sections he might add a few instrumentals from Wet Dream, albeit with a lot of improvisation. He'd been singing "Astronomy Domine" on the Division Bell tour, even though he admitted that he didn't like to, so I could see him including something like "Remember a Day" instead, especially in the first set following the section that deals with childhood. "The Great Gig in the Sky" would be a show-stopper, but it might be too dark to close the show with, so it could lead into the final section of Broken China; if Sinead O'Connor didn't want take a crack at it - and she might - he could easily get Clare Torry onboard since they had re-recorded part of it together a few years earlier for a prescription drug commercial.

And now, a setlist that doesn't necessarily follow what I just said:

Set 1
1. Breaking Water
2. Mediterranean C
3. Night of a Thousand Furry Toys
4. Remember a Day
5. Hidden Fear
6. Runaway
7. Paintbox
8. Unfair Ground
9. Satellite
10. Woman of Custom
11. Time
12. Far From the Harbour Wall
13. Reaching for the Rail
14. The Great Gig in the Sky

Set 2
1. Marooned
2. Against the Odds
3. Waves
4. Blue Room in Venice
5. Sweet July
6. Along the Shoreline
7. Breakthrough
8. Mudmen
9. Stay
10. Summer '68
11. Dominoes
12. Cat Cruise
13. Wearing the Inside Out
14. Drop In From the Top
Luca
Axe
Axe

Post by Luca »

space triangle wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:25 pm I have listened to Broken China several times in recent days. And, “drafsack“ thread 'The Final cut Tour' gave me an idea for this thread. :D

So, what would Rick Wright's world tour 1996/1997 look like?
1996/1997... too early in the internet age. Three or four years later a small tour would have been quite successfull, but Waters' aggressive touring since 1999 would have put forward again the "which one's pink" question. Moreover, the budget-wise Wright wasn't probably too eager to invest a large sum of money in a never attempted before solo tour.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by theaussiefloydian »

All this is reminding me that I would have loved to hear a version of Broken China with David Gilmour playing for him. A David + Rick double act tour would have been sensational - and yes I am aware that happened with On an Island, but wouldn't it have been neat for them to get equal billing for a tour and for Rick to play some of his stuff?
layne1
Embryo
Embryo

Post by layne1 »

I'm pretty sure I read that, had Broken China been a massive success, that the tour/live shows would be extremely theatrical and would've been extended to last an hour and a half
Eclipse

Post by Eclipse »

wow, neat ideas for set lists! I'm a big fan rick's solo albums. So sad we won't have any more magical music from him : - (
WebBrown
Axe
Axe

Post by WebBrown »

You could easily add to list some of greater PF moments :
Us and them
Astronomy domine
Shine on your crazy diamonds
Echoes
Welcome to machine
Any color you like
and even Time perhaps …
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

WebBrown wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:41 am You could easily add to list some of greater PF moments :
Us and them
Astronomy domine
Shine on your crazy diamonds
Echoes
Welcome to machine
Any color you like
and even Time perhaps …
Unlikely that "Astronomy Domine" would have been on any setlist completely in Rick's control - he was reported to have not liked the song very much.
WebBrown
Axe
Axe

Post by WebBrown »

theaussiefloydian wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:41 am Unlikely that "Astronomy Domine" would have been on any setlist completely in Rick's control - he was reported to have not liked the song very much.
Sorry, I was trying to say everything about theirs split or a lot stuff prior to same subject is a lie, so I was just curious ‘ How could you know Wright did not like Astronomy domine …
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

WebBrown wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:01 pm Sorry, I was trying to say everything about theirs split or a lot stuff prior to same subject is a lie, so I was just curious ‘ How could you know Wright did not like Astronomy domine …
I happened to read it somewhere in a book I once read on the history of Pink Floyd but it was a really long time ago that I read it and it's entirely possible that it was anecdotal - I tried to find a source for it out here on the Net and couldn't find one so feel free to ignore me I guess?
WebBrown
Axe
Axe

Post by WebBrown »

theaussiefloydian wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:01 pm
I happened to read it somewhere in a book I once read on the history of Pink Floyd but it was a really long time ago that I read it and it's entirely possible that it was anecdotal - I tried to find a source for it out here on the Net and couldn't find one so feel free to ignore me I guess?
Sorry, but ignoring you is not my intention at all… I thing due to my own nature I found a lot stuff about PF very untrue,
also it is very hard in general to find anything about Rick’s life, so as I have said I was just curious… Thanks for searching a book or source so I guess it is true 100% … Thanks for your time …

Still PF was never (especially before they have split) a standard rock group from whom members will speak about themselves on almost every single note if they would be asked by a ‘proper’ audience, but I don’t think it is untrue when they do speak about theirs music …

A very few people known who they really are and more while in a fact theirs split have triggered a lot false gibberish …
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

WebBrown wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:42 pm A very few people known who they really are and more while in a fact theirs split have triggered a lot false gibberish …
Absolutely true. When a band rises to the sort of standing as Pink Floyd it can be hard to find the truth amongst some of the shall we say more creative accounts.
WebBrown
Axe
Axe

Post by WebBrown »

theaussiefloydian wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:39 am Absolutely true. When a band rises to the sort of standing as Pink Floyd it can be hard to find the truth amongst some of the shall we say more creative accounts.
I would not go to far and call Roger a total idiot, although Wright is simply genius and Broken china is very good album … It is almost impossible even to imagine DSOTM or any of theirs music without Wright, after all he laid very foundation when it comes to PF sound …
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

I am not a great lover of Broken China so I would probably stayed in the bar for the first half