Syd Barrett Mirror Esquire

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
WarwickMusicMan
Embryo
Embryo

Syd Barrett Mirror Esquire

Post by WarwickMusicMan »

So, this sucker took me roughly 4 months to complete... This is my Syd Barrett tribute esquire. Complete with Fender USA pickup, Rotosound British steels, Fender Esquire decal, and the little yellow sticker on the pickguard mirror. I wish the paint color had come out more shiny, but oh well :lol:

Thoughts? :D :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Stone
Embryo
Embryo

Re: Syd Barrett Mirror Esquire

Post by The Stone »

Wow, that looks awesome! You'll have to try some laser lighting to get the real 'live Barrett-Floyd' effect
WarwickMusicMan
Embryo
Embryo

Post by WarwickMusicMan »

Thank you! Here are some pictures with some 'psychedelic' lighting... Hope it looks good!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stevecart2110
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Stevecart2110 »

Hey, new to this forum. I am thinking of doing a Syd Esquire, and I was wondering what size did you use for the mirrors? Thanks man! It looks awesome
LennyPane
Embryo
Embryo

Post by LennyPane »

Hi everybody. Also new to this forum, and also thinking of putting together a Syd Esquire using a Squier Tele for the work, silver leaf for the body, and various added parts.
Thinking of posting the process here if anybody is interested.
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

LennyPane wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 11:16 pm Hi everybody. Also new to this forum, and also thinking of putting together a Syd Esquire using a Squier Tele for the work, silver leaf for the body, and various added parts.
Thinking of posting the process here if anybody is interested.
I'd like to see a build diary. Maybe in off-topic.
LennyPane
Embryo
Embryo

Post by LennyPane »

Sure AT, currently getting parts together. Will do.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

If you're looking to add some functionality to it, Seymour Duncan just released a stealth neck pickup for Esquires (designed for Brad Paisley) that is hidden under the pickguard. Pair that with a Freeway 6-way blade switch and you'll have parallel and series combinations, in and out of phase.

I know the first generation of Freeway switches were unreliable, but I have one of the new blade switches in my Fender Stringmaster lap/console steel, and three 6-way toggle switches in a Godin that provide a grand total of 156 pickup combinations. They all work flawlessly - which is more than I can say for the stock 3-way toggles that come in Godins and Gibsons from the factory.

I bought a black/rosewood '60s Classic Strat in 2006, to go for a WYWH-era build, but it quickly outgrew the few mods that Gilmour had done - it soon had a 16-tone Chromacaster switch and Gilmour-spec Klein pickups, then a pair of Taylor mini-humbuckers with their factory wiring, and then a pair of Seymour Duncan Antiquity I Jazzmaster pickups with a 5-way switch - and that was the setup I was happiest with, especially for emulating Gilmour's neck pickup tones, despite him never being seen anywhere near a Jazzmaster (though he did own them, but only because he wanted a complete collection of early Fenders). I actually went with the Jazzmaster pickup because that's what's in his Fender 1000 pedal steel, and I was pleasantly surprised by it; I'm now in the process of putting a pair in a Godin Session TriplePlay - so it will have those in the neck and middle, a Tele bridge pickup (with a 10-way Freeway switch, of course), and a wireless MIDI pickup.