Roger's Video about David Not Sharing

General discussion about Pink Floyd.

Should Roger Waters be allowed to publicise himself on the Pink Floyd website and social media?

Yes
67%
No
23%
Don't know
10%

Total votes: 39

Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Roger's Video about David Not Sharing

Post by Keith Jordan »

It would seem the disagreements between Roger Waters and David GIlmour are hotting up again as Roger has posted a new video online having a go at the fact David won't let Roger publicise his tours, videos etc on the Pink Floyd website and social media accounts. However, the account routinely share readings from Novels from David's wife.

Roger said, amongst other things, "Why do we have to sit and watch Polly Samson for year after year, month after month, day after day, and the Von Trapps reading us excerpts from their novels, to get us to go to sleep at night? And that's a very good question. And yet we don't get to hear about anything that Roger is doing, or about this is not a drill, or when he makes a piece of work it is not shown."

What are you thoughts? Vote in the poll!

https://www.facebook.com/rogerwaters/vi ... 033794215/
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Roger's Video about David Not Sharing

Post by Annoying Twit »

It should depend on what and how he's publicising.

Certainly, I think it would be reasonable for Roger's tours to be publicised on PF's site. Certainly, many PF fans would like to know.

However, I put 'don't know' about my vote as there may be more behind this than we know. We've only heard from Roger on this, and I suspect that we won't hear from Dave. So, I don't want to take a strong position on this without further knowledge.

Roger has already tried to get PF issues decided by vote, but was rebuffed. If PF went to a three people with equal vote scenario, then I wouldn't be surprised if there was then a battle for Nick Mason's vote and then a possibility of Roger taking control. E.g. if Roger offered to take Nick on tour as Pink Floyd, I think he'd go for it. I'm not saying that is definite, but if I was Dave I would be careful about Roger's intentions, and keep him at arms distance. I don't know if that would justify the current situation, however.

Note: I don't even know Roger's position in detail, as the above video will not play for me.

EDIT: I've seen this again on youtube. I don't think that if Roger wants Dave to cooperate, that insulting Polly Sampson is the way to go about it.
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

a unnecessary video by Roger and not was not needed insulting David and his family for those videos they are doing not a smart move and will cause even more issues. Roger did not share credits on songs and albums when he was in full ego manic mode in the 70's. His constant bitching about David regarding this publicly is not going to end well. The way he treated the others and band name in the 80's during those legal issues with the band name. Yet now he wants to be on the PF website down the line.

Do other bands websites feature solo material by ex members on them?

“But I think the problem is Roger doesn’t really respect David. He feels that writing is everything, and that guitar playing and the singing are something that, I won’t say anyone can do, but that everything should be judged on the writing rather than the playing.”

"I think it rankles with Roger that he made a sort of error in a way that he left the band assuming that without him it would fold"

Nick Mason - 2018
Vegetable Layne
Axe
Axe

Post by Vegetable Layne »

azza200 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 9:31 am Do other bands websites feature solo material by ex members on them?
The Pink Floyd page did, for Rogers The Wall concert film.
Rumbers
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Rumbers »

Roger is completely right. He should be able to post things in any Pink Floyd site. David allowing his family and On Trapp escapades is taking the p really badly. I guess Dave doesn’t like some of Rogers opinions, which are in fact behind much of the success of Pink Floyd and current band earnings. David let him use it.
Master_Chief
Blade
Blade

Post by Master_Chief »

Personally I've always found it baffling that Roger's tours at the least aren't publicised on the Pink Floyd website. After all Nick's solo tour has been plastered over the site and social outlets, as well as David's solo bits and pieces. But when I see a new video post from Pink Floyd on social media I think to myself "Oh! Is this going to be a grainy excerpt from the In the Flesh Tour? Maybe a trailer for the blu-ray of The Wall movie?", but no it's a Polly Sampson plug.

Now first and foremost I have nothing against Polly and her work, especially her lyrical work with David. But the fact there's more of her work on the official Pink Floyd website than the man who wrote the majority of the words we all love from The Dark Side of the Moon to The Wall, I'm just stumped.

I know several of you believe that because Roger declared the band finished and left in 1985 means that maybe he doesn't deserve to feature on that band's media assets anymore, but if you play around on the website you can find brief mentions of Roger's work since leaving in their timeline page and so forth. Either the man left Pink Floyd and his exploits aren't relevant, or they are?

Admittedly this video won't help Roger get his way, and we'll probably never known David's side of the story. But I find it rather amusing that David and Roger began to fall out during The Wall and especially The Final Cut recording sessions, as Roger took control more and more. But since then you could argue that David has taken a similar strangleold, released two albums one could argue were essentially solo projects under the Pink Floyd umbrella, before then using the name as a way to officially plug his solo work and his wife's work. Maybe he is scared Roger and Nick would "elope" to tour as Pink Floyd, but who really cares? David clearly doesn't want to.

Overall... both men seem to be in the right and the wrong and ultimately the only people losing out is the fans. We all want more Floyd content, but instead we've been left with two incredibly talented musicians bickering at each other for several decades. :-({|= :-({|=
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

Other band pages do publicise solo albums. Though, perhaps not by members who left. Certainly not those who had a big bust up.

I can see that most people voting think Rog should be allowed. I'd agree, in normal circumstances. As posted in previous comments, Dave and Rog do not have a good relationship. Rog is much more active musically now than Dave, and Rog would come to dominate the page.

While I would prefer an alternate reality where Rog & Dave are best buddies, we all know that they aren't. Hence, I can see why Dave is keeping Rog off the page, and it's not too difficult for us to consult both the PF pages and Rog's pages as well.

There are some new posts up above. Nick is all over the PF page, as will be DG's activities, because they are members of Pink Floyd. Roger is not a member of Pink Floyd, and hasn't been for decades. So, the situation is different.
Grimace
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Grimace »

Waters is not a pink floyd member, he left the band
PooF
Hammer
Hammer

Post by PooF »

No 'Don't care' option, so I failed to vote. Since Pink Floyd, the band is moribund, they may as well squabble over use of the brand website - there's got to be money and other wholesome stuff involved. But if you'll allow me to steal a *shrug* moment, I refuse to stand up and be counted.

(But, in passing, good for Mason - about time he beat his own drum, so to speak. So it's right he's plastered all over the website.)
dj865
Blade
Blade

Post by dj865 »

I've not voted on the poll yet...overall I think No (as he left the band) but on the other hand why should Polly's stuff be on there, it's a bit ridiculous..

Something else that bugs me though, is...why should Roger even give a shit, he does well enough on his own. No point in making a public statement full of negativity

Rogers mother video was great though
Last edited by dj865 on Tue May 19, 2020 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scarecrow
Blade
Blade

Post by scarecrow »

I think I can see both sides, but I don't see how this clip is going to persuade anyone. And it's difficult to see what Waters has to be so miserable about.

In terms of what Gilmour and Mason are entitled to do, I don't see how there's very much of a case (legally, comercially, ethically) that they should be obliged to promote Waters via the Pink Floyd site, and Waters taking this 'blame Yoko' line sounds pretty snarky.

Peter Hook had it worse when iirc the remaining members temporarily prevented Hook from including mention of Joy Division/ New Order from any of his own promotion (posters for DJing slots etc). A few parallels with New Order vs Hook actually, and on a tangent it was nice to see Stephen Morris wearing a Madcap Laughs t-shirt on last night's Ian Curtis tribute stream.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

dj865 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 4:48 pm Something else that bugs me though, is...why should Roger even give a shit, he does well enough on his own. No point in making public statement full of negativity
Well the way things are going, I can see concert attendance being phased out or with so many restrictions and segregations on them it becomes too tedious for bothering.
Retrain Roger! Have a back up trade. You'll be needing it. Roger appears in Pink Floyd videos on their YouTube channel.
If people do click over to rogerwaters.com afterwards, there's just a big a chance people see your "THIS IS NOT A DRILL" homepage and go "Yeah, this isn't Pink Floyd either." and log back.

As long as he doesn't cock up refunds for his rescheduled and then rescheduled again tour, he should hold some argument.
But I think 2020 onwards will see the death of live entertainment.
It's very lonely being back at the drawing board!
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

Welcome Grimace!

I note that the votes and the comments are quite different.

Having thought about it a bit more, I do think it would be good if Rog's stuff could be on the PF page. However, it may be that Rog is partially at fault for the status of the relationship between him and DG.
scarecrow
Blade
Blade

Post by scarecrow »

I think Mason offers some useful thoughts in this reasonable recent article
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... ur-763670/

And Gilmour calmly made his case in the Lost Art of Conversation podcasts, without sounding bitter in the way that Waters often does. This obviously wasn't a case of Waters just making a few mean comments after quitting the band... I just find it pretty jarring for Waters to be making this appeal to 'Pink Floyd fans' , appearing so aggrieved - and ultimately it's entirely up to Gilmour and Mason how they choose to run their website.

It seems there's something in particular which has wound up Roger - perhaps it was Polly Samson pressing her husband to state which band member it was who suggested they didn't pick up Syd Barrett en route to Southampton in early 1968 in a recent video (a line of questioning which David seemed not very pleased about)...
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

Rolling Stone have published an article about Roger's current ... statement.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... s-1002266/

It doesn't say much if anything that hasn't been covered in this thread.

And, there's this one too:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... e-1002172/

At least Rog's angst has kept Pink Floyd in the news.