Roger's Video about David Not Sharing

General discussion about Pink Floyd.

Should Roger Waters be allowed to publicise himself on the Pink Floyd website and social media?

Yes
67%
No
23%
Don't know
10%

Total votes: 39

snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Roger's Video about David Not Sharing

Post by snifferdog »

moodyblue wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 10:21 am I cannot see the justification for allowing the site to be used for Polly Samson's publicity when let's face it, her contribution to Pink Floyd is 0,.00000001% compared to that of Roger Waters.
It doesn't matter whether her lyrics are better or worse than Roger's, or how long her career co-writing Pink Floyd songs lasted. She is not a member of Pink Floyd and her book has absolutely nothing to do with the band. Gilmour strumming his guitar and singing a couple of songs is not Pink Floyd either. If I check Pink Floyd's website or Facebook, I want to see Pink Floyd related news. Not what one of their wives is up to.
scarecrow
Blade
Blade

Post by scarecrow »

I'd imagine from Gilmour and Mason's point of view: whilst there's some Pink Floyd fans who might want the band website and facebook page to be strictly limited to band output, in the absence of new Pink Floyd music, probably there are quite a lot of people happy to see any Gilmour and Mason related posts? (This is reflected in 'likes' and suchlike?)

Also isn't the Polly Samson stuff up there because it does there is some (tenuous) David involvement? There is a collaborative element where he's playing some songs in relation to this Theatre of Dreamers project? Afaik there isn't any promotion of other Polly Samson material?

I'd respectfully disagree with anyone arguing that any of this has much to do with 'rights', or fairness even. Not a thing I want to get bogged down in - I just find it unrelatable that anyone would conclude that any of this makes David Gilmour less 'mellow' etc.

Waters does seem to be genuinely upset about all this - although maybe that's his choice? It seems a dificult to resolve thing, that having quit the band, Waters found that actually he was very attached to what Pink Floyd 'means', what it 'represents' etc in a way which both Mason and Gilmour don't seem to be... whilst in a youtube wormhole a few days ago I was reminded how they were even 'Pink Floyd sponsored by VW' for a while ... Isn't this also another pitch from Waters that he is the credible and authentic Pink Floyd?

Jerry Dammers seemed to feel similarly strongly with the 2010s reincarnation of the Specials, pleading in the Guardian about what values the band was supposed to represent.

With Hawkwind/ Hawklords Dave Brock vs Nick Turner, and probably numerous other band fallouts there's at least probably more pressing issues in terms of basic subsistence.
moodyblue
Hammer
Hammer

Post by moodyblue »

azza200 wrote:Yeah but in the '90s David did make efforts to build bridges and be friendly to Roger yet he got shot down numerous times he invited Roger to play DSOTM at one of the Earls Court dates. Since then I think David gave up until Live 8 where Roger tried to take over thinking he was back in the band and David had to put him in his place about the setlist. They mellowed for a bit with those appearances they did up to David's wall appearance in 2011.

Since then whatever happened behind the scenes with TEY release and Animals 5.1 and Roger taking pot shots belittling Davids and the other contributions in various interviews over the years. Is it any wonder why David does not want to bother when Roger shows David no respect to him and now he is insulting his family in public. Not the best way to help your cause and mend broken bridges is it.

Another thing in general
the amount of sexism towards Polly is shocking and disgusting. Being a fanboy of Roger yet happily bitching about someone's wife just because you don't like the Gilmour era and Gilmour, in general, is beyond sad and pathetic. The levels some people go to make a point about how shit the Post Waters era is. Just because it's not up Rogers standard of lyrics. Some Pink Floyd fan if you only limit yourself to taking Rogers words literally and believing everything that comes out of his mouth in interviews he is a massive hypocrite regarding loads of things.

Attacking David's wife is low stupid and petty. How would some of you like it if some stranger posted shit about your wife on forums and over social media pages all because you don't like that era of a band?
Thing is, we don't really know how 'friendly' Gilmour has been to Waters though do we? Much of this is all behind the scenes and unwritten.
The offer of the gig at Earls Court seems to be a rather confusing one. I personally don't think we can judge anything in relation to this.

I am certainly not one to defend Roger on his rhetoric concerning remarks such as 'Lyrics by the wife, give me a f******* break' etc. Clearly the actions of a man with deep issues.

In any case, the Pink Floyd site should be about Pink Floyd. Not Roger Waters, certainly not Polly Samson (which is absolutely ridiculous. How many PF fans have a remote interest in what she gets up to?) The site in question should be about Pink Floyd which is the five members that we all know and 'love', what they have done, what they may be doing now etc.

Mod Note: Sorry Moodyblue, I intended to reply to your post but accidentally edited it instead. I hope I have restored it back to what it was. Apologies for my momentary lapse of reason - A somewhat sheepish Snifferdog
Putney1
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Putney1 »

It looks like Roger's recent comments on his video announcement may have had some effect, with the Daily Evolving Playlist post on the Pink Floyd Facebook page, acknowledging each band member.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

I don't think we know even a fraction of what has happened between Roger and David over the decades. There is a pair of them in it. At this point, I treat everything either of them says about the other with a pinch of salt. They both have their own agendas and neither works well with what the other one wants. These two guys have more baggage at this point than Heathrow Airport. Roger is the more articulate and charismatic of the two so he's better at getting his point across. You can argue for and against whether his videos should get a mention on Pink Floyd's channels. I don't think the plugging of Polly Samson's book is a good look though. I don't have anything against the woman, even though I don't care for her Pink Floyd lyrics. But she should not have allowed her book to be promoted on her husband's old band's website.
DarkSideFreak
Knife
Knife

Post by DarkSideFreak »

Annoying Twit wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 8:41 pm I watched Guy's youtube video. And, I listened to The Later Years disc for AMLoR.

Even if quite a few parts have been pared down, there is still quite a bit of tasteful bass work and fills on the album. I'd need to do a more careful A B comparison than I'm prepared to do
Guy did not play on AMLOR. It's all Tony Levin. There was no intention to remove or replace Tony's contributions.

What was done is that Guy's bass solo on the live versions of "Money" was cut. Guy's point, and I agree with that, is what exactly is the point? You want to put out a complete document of what happened, you don't mess around with bits and bobs.

https://www.superdeluxeedition.com/inte ... own-licks/

Jon Carin was the one who criticized the remix of AMLOR saying that he would've done it very differently and that it was "done by somebody on a computer", which is very disrespectful to Andy Jackson, a long-time PF collaborator (and in the next moment he went on to praise James Guthrie, who's Roger's preferred engineer).
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

DarkSideFreak wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 8:37 am
Annoying Twit wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 8:41 pm I watched Guy's youtube video. And, I listened to The Later Years disc for AMLoR.

Even if quite a few parts have been pared down, there is still quite a bit of tasteful bass work and fills on the album. I'd need to do a more careful A B comparison than I'm prepared to do
Guy did not play on AMLOR. It's all Tony Levin. There was no intention to remove or replace Tony's contributions.

What was done is that Guy's bass solo on the live versions of "Money" was cut. Guy's point, and I agree with that, is what exactly is the point? You want to put out a complete document of what happened, you don't mess around with bits and bobs.

https://www.superdeluxeedition.com/inte ... own-licks/

Jon Carin was the one who criticized the remix of AMLOR saying that he would've done it very differently and that it was "done by somebody on a computer", which is very disrespectful to Andy Jackson, a long-time PF collaborator (and in the next moment he went on to praise James Guthrie, who's Roger's preferred engineer).
Oh yes, I see the mistake I made. Thanks for pointing it out. I definitely had the wrong end of the stick there.

And of course I can much easier compare DSoT 'Money' versus the new version which is one and a half minutes shorter. Which I have done.

The AMLoR remix removes less of the 80s from the recording than I would have preferred, but I don't that someone saying they would have done things differently, even Jon Carin, is that unsurprisingly. I'm sure that any producer/remixer would have done something differently.

Same for removing the bass solo from Monday. Again, I would have left it there. But, live albums are very rarely a complete and unabridged record of what happened. There are often edits, overdubs, etc. It's not too unusual or unexpected that someone might edit a song, and here they seemingly wanted to shorten the song a bit. Maybe. I can understand Guy Pratt not being happy about that, but then few musicians would be happy about their solos being deleted.
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

It was nicer when they were friends,....wasn't it? 8)

Image Image
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

It would be nice if Dave & Roger remained best buddies forever, but perhaps it wasn't in their personalities. What if to be the kind of people who wouldn't rub up against each other, they were too mellow, and that played out in their art?

E.g. maybe we'd have had something like this from an insufficiently driven, tortured, and angsty Roger and Dave

(Sung to the tune of The Thin Ice.)

Shopping and Rice

Roger loves you David
And David loves you too
I've bought a guitar for you Dave
A Stratocaster in blue
Ooh Dave
Ooh Roger too
Ooh Dave

If you should go shopping
With your thoroughly deserved wealth
Don't forget your wallet and keys
They're over there on the shelf

I'll boil a kettle, and cook you some rice
And slightly increase the heat
If you're slightly late, I really won't mind
As long as I spend the evening with you
It would be so nice

(Guitar solo on freshly unwrapped blue Stratocaster.)
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

^^^^
:lol:

That song probably had a working title 'Careful With That Blue Stratocaster Dave'.
moodyblue
Hammer
Hammer

Post by moodyblue »

No harm done Snifferdog in fact, it looks even better than it did. :D
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

moodyblue wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 10:24 am
Kerry King wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 1:18 am
Does he promote Gilmour on Waters.com?
That's completely different.
Waters promoted Syd Barrett on his Kaos tour.

I think Polly Samson is pink floyd's most convincing and poignant lyricist after Barrett.
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

Kerry King wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 3:17 am I think Polly Samson is pink floyd's most convincing and poignant lyricist after Barrett.
:lol:

You forgot Rick. 'It Would Be So Nice', See Saw, Paintbox..... Polly, Syd and Roger can only dream of writing such lyrical perfections! :-;
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

space triangle wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 6:14 am You forgot Rick
Right.

I rise
Looking through my morning eyes
Surprised
To find you by my side
Rack my brain
And try to remember your name
To find
The words to tell you goodbye

This must have been the moment Roger Waters realized he had to take full control of the lyrical content.
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

I agree that it was weird to see the book plugs on the official pink Floyd. But then you think she’s the lyricist. Makes sense. I have felt like Roger is ignored a bit. I get he’s been gone for ages but it’s the digital age where everyone links to everyone and the hatchet has or had been buried. It would’ve shown class or whatever, and no one would’ve lost anything, to post a link to whatever Roger has been up to in the last few years (album tours etc).
Now the thing was not to read too much into it.
Getting angry and ranting about it online is where you go wrong.
I agree Carin came off angry or something on some of his posts as well.