Roger's Video about David Not Sharing

General discussion about Pink Floyd.

Should Roger Waters be allowed to publicise himself on the Pink Floyd website and social media?

Yes
67%
No
23%
Don't know
10%

Total votes: 39

space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Roger's Video about David Not Sharing

Post by space triangle »

When Roger Waters left the band he declared the band was finished, calling it “A spent force“. But now, he want to be a part of the 'A spent force's' digital and social-media world. Ehh....Rog. 8)
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

Any news here? Did David give any public comment on all that Roger said? Is Roger still a banned man? 8)
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

space triangle wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 12:51 pm Any news here? Did David give any public comment on all that Roger said? Is Roger still a banned man? 8)
Perhaps ignoring Roger's video is an appropriate response in itself.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

space triangle wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 12:51 pm Any news here? Did David give any public comment on all that Roger said? Is Roger still a banned man? 8)
The Von Trapped was, perhaps coincidentally, cancelled last week. I think they were recording something for the BBC though, Front Row from memory. I think Roger only said his nasty stuff to get publicity ahead of the announcement for Us+Them.

https://www.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/roge ... ng-and-dvd
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

I wouldn’t be surprised if Roger starts making his own family videos under the title the Von Banned. :lol:
PooF
Hammer
Hammer

Post by PooF »

Keith Jordan wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 2:24 pm The Von Trapped was, perhaps coincidentally, cancelled last week. I think they were recording something for the BBC though, Front Row from memory.
And they are getting ready for their Hay Festival gig, to promote 'Theatre For Dreamers':
https://www.hayfestival.com/p-16824-pol ... lmour.aspx

I guess the Von Trapped stuff has at least in part been rehearsal for that.
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

Roger Waters should not be allowed on the official Pink Floyd social media channels and websites, since he left the band in December 1985, almost 35 years ago. It is just David and Nick now.

That said, those channels and websites should not be used to promote Polly Samson's works either.
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

Waters insulted Gilmour's wife in public, did he not? It's so petty. It's what Pete Townsend would call an eminence front.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I have never really thought about it but does Roger still receive royalties for this work with Pink Floyd? If so, then he should have full access to the website and social media as it is part of the publicising machine of his intellectual property. :)
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

Keith Jordan wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 10:13 am I have never really thought about it but does Roger still receive royalties for this work with Pink Floyd? If so, then he should have full access to the website and social media as it is part of the publicising machine of his intellectual property. :)
I'm not sure I agree with that. Dave will receive royalties for his songwriting contributions to (e.g.) The Wall for Rog's releases. I don't think that means that Dave should have access to Roger's website.
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

I would solve this problem by compromise. I would allow posting articles/videos/songs on the official Pink Floyd page which includes Roger Waters. But, only a things from the 1965/1966 until to the December 1, 1985, when he left the group. After that date,... nothing! 8)
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Hadrian wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 11:37 pmThat said, those channels and websites should not be used to promote Polly Samson's works either.
She has published several books and held public events that got little or no mention on the Pink Floyd pages. However, as they have discussed at length, Gilmour composed and recorded the soundtrack for the audiobook to her recent novel, which they may be correct in their assertion that it is the first of its kind. The book and soundtrack are both heavily influenced by Leonard Cohen's music - as was Gilmour's musical contributions to Pink Floyd, going all the way back to More and Ummagumma, and certainly those on Obscured By Clouds and Wish You Were Here. If anyone bothered to listen to the discussions they've shared on the Pink Floyd page, a lot of it deals with Gilmour's music, and has regularly featured Q&As with David, with him sharing some very interesting stories about growing up with Syd, and even some candid covers of Syd's songs. It's also very hard to consider it a "cash grab" by David and Polly when they've given away more than Roger's made as a solo artist.

The guy quit the band in a very public way, then proceeded to schedule his solo shows in nearby venues on the same nights as Pink Floyd's tour, giving lots of interviews along the way to try to discredit their new direction. He was particularly critical of the fact that they were playing some older material, and has since gone on to make a career out of doing the same thing. He's a hypocrite.
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

He’s also largely irrelevant, and I think that’s the heart of this matter. He learned that at the aforementioned venues when a few people showed up and the other 3 guys could pull any number of crowds.
No matter what political topic he chooses to rant about (even soda), no one cares anymore. Everyone’s got opinions these days and they’re all published. Co-writing some albums in the 70s doesn’t make you an expert on things. And apparently 40 odd years don’t give you perspective either.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Keith Jordan wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 10:13 am I have never really thought about it but does Roger still receive royalties for this work with Pink Floyd? If so, then he should have full access to the website and social media as it is part of the publicising machine of his intellectual property. :)
Roger still receives royalties for any songs that he wrote lyrics and/or music for, which fall under the publishing rights. Syd continued to receive royalties for the songs he wrote, which is why Dave often included at least one of Syd's songs on every live release. Not long ago he said that while the band is no longer active, he's essentially become the CEO of the Pink Floyd business, and that it's his job to make sure that Syd's royalties always got to him, and that something like "Us and Them" never gets used in a commercial. However, Rick had no qualms about using "Great Gig in the Sky" in commercials, which he did in 1974 for Dole bananas, and again in 1990 for an over-the-counter painkiller - that time he even re-recorded it himself with Clare Torry! Gilmour's stance: "Rick wrote that music. He remade it for them. It's down to the writer. If my name had been on that track too it wouldn't have happened. I wouldn't do it. But that's Rick's business. I didn't approve of it, but I have no control over it." Dave has also said that when he plays one of Roger's songs, he has to pay him, and vice versa. So they each have some amount of control over what they wrote, but Gilmour probably has the most control over the use of the original recordings. I still don't understand why any of them allow The Australian Pink Floyd/Brit Floyd/etc to use their songs.
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:52 am heavily influenced by Leonard Cohen's music - as was Gilmour's musical contributions to Pink Floyd, going all the way back to More and Ummagumma, and certainly those on Obscured By Clouds and Wish You Were Here.
That's funny. I don't hear it at all. Of course, I've only been able to make it through the first 2 Leonard Cohen albums and a few random songs from 1971 onward. He's not very musical. Good lyrics, though.
ZiggyZipgun wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:52 am If anyone bothered to listen to the discussions they've shared on the Pink Floyd page
Bothered is the right word.