Top 10 Pink Floyd Albums

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
dj865
Blade
Blade

Re: Top 10 Pink Floyd Albums

Post by dj865 »

Kerry King wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:11 am No. I have no list.
However, I have a sense of humor about lists. So don't take me too seriously.
Ah yes, I got confused about who I was quoting/ replying to!!
Master_Chief
Blade
Blade

Post by Master_Chief »

dj865 wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:28 am You've actually enticed me to go listen to it again [-D-]
Enjoy! :)
Calva
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Calva »

1. Dark Side of The Moon
2. Animals
3. The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn
4. Meddle
5. Wish You Were Here
6. The Wall
7. A Saucerful of Secrets
8. The Division Bell
9. The Final Cut
10. A Momentary Lapse of Reason
dj865
Blade
Blade

Post by dj865 »

If this thread was extended to include solo material (new thread idea?!) I would include Roger's ...is this the life?..

Not sure which album I'd need to remove from my original 10, endless river probably

Are there any solo albums people would include in an ultimate top 10?
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

dj865 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 7:46 amAre there any solo albums people would include in an ultimate top 10?
I think both 'Amused To Death' and 'Broken China' are the great solo albums. But, do they deserve a place among the top 10 Pink Floyd albums? Hard to say. Certainly not a place among the top 6 Pink Floyd albums.
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

For me Wet Dream would get into my top 10. I realise that it's not universally popular, but there's something about it that just works for me.
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

Annoying Twit wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 10:13 am For me Wet Dream would get into my top 10. I realise that it's not universally popular, but there's something about it that just works for me.
I like Wet Dream. It's pleasant to listen to, but no way it's 'Top 10 Pink Floyd albums' quality. 'WD' misses the depth of the Pink Floyd albums. Not that every album has to be deep, but still..
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

space triangle wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 5:40 pm I like Wet Dream. It's pleasant to listen to, but no way it's 'Top 10 Pink Floyd albums' quality. 'WD' misses the depth of the Pink Floyd albums. Not that every album has to be deep, but still..
I didn't expect many people to agree. It's my subjective top 10 I'm talking about.
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

Annoying Twit wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 5:46 pm
space triangle wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 5:40 pm I like Wet Dream. It's pleasant to listen to, but no way it's 'Top 10 Pink Floyd albums' quality. 'WD' misses the depth of the Pink Floyd albums. Not that every album has to be deep, but still..
I didn't expect many people to agree. It's my subjective top 10 I'm talking about.
Yes of course, I understand. :)

On my list here 'Atom Heart Mother' is No 3. Not many people would agree with me as well. Especially not the Pink Floyd members who dismiss that album totally.
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

space triangle wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 6:06 pm On my list here 'Atom Heart Mother' is No 3. Not many people would agree with me
It's not that I disagree with you. I don't believe you. You've put DSOTM and Animals in the top two spots. Do you expect me to believe that you listen to AHM more than WYWH? I suppose you enjoy the sleazy Rick Wright lyrics?
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

Kerry King wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 12:42 amIt's not that I disagree with you. I don't believe you.
Let me try to explain. 8)

Many years ago when I had the opportunity to hear WYWH album for the first time, my first impression was that the album was not connected perfectly. By that time, I already had the opportunity to hear DSOTM a few times before. But unlike WYWH that album sounded completely perfect to me. The album flows like a one big song. That was not the case with WYWH. I loved both parts of SOYCD, but in a way I had a feeling that the three songs in the middle flows inte perfectly with the SOYCD suite. Thematicaly yes, but I just had a feeling something wasn’t right. At the time I had no idea how the WYWH album came about. That the band had a big problem to folow the DSOTM. You know, first there was an experiment with the Household Objects, after that they did YGBC, RAD, and SOYCD suite. And then it was discarded as an idea too, and Roger wrote the three new songs in the middle. And then, after quite few years after all that when I first had the opportunity to read about it, it just confirmed my first feelings I had about the WYWH album. That album was never fully perfect to me.

Now to the AHM. My feeling is that AHM is a somewhat more cohesive work then WYWH. Despite all its experimentality and weirdnes. I never skip any of the songs on the AHM. Not even APB. When it comes to WYWH I sometimes skip WTTM, and sometimes HAC. Not because they are the bad songs, but because of they are sometimes too much 'robust' after beutiful SOYCD (I - V).

I do love overall pastoral feeling of the whole AHM album. I love the summer feeling which flows throughout the album. Yes, Rick's lyric on the Summer '68 is perhaps a bit to cheesy, but it fits ok with the rest of the album imo.

But, it's just my opinion and I don't expect many people to agree with me. It's just a question of personal taste.
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

^ Alright. Thanks for explaining because I could not even comprehend the reality. Sorry for doubting you. For me... Animals, DSOTM and WYWH all sound like the same great band. AHM sounds like something else: A band still learning how to write songs.
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

Kerry King wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 1:35 amAHM sounds like something else: A band still learning how to write songs.
In the most of Pink Floyd polls Echoes is voted as the greatest Pink Floyd song. Does that mean boys learned how to write songs already in the 1971? Or did it happen first when Roger Waters took control of writing the entire lyric? (DSOTM) 8)
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

^ You tell me. Is Echoes the best post-Syd track up to it's time?
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

I forgot to mention the one thing here when we talked about AHM versus WYWH. I never liked much Roy Harper's singig on the HAC. Never liked the fact he wasn't a member of the band, but sings the Pink Floyd song.. I would have preferred any of Floyd guys to sing that song on the album. Even if it was Rick Wright. 8)