Phil May RIP

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Phil May RIP

Post by twcc »

Phil May RIP, two acoustic tracks released by way of a tribute ... will have to play the amazing Indigo gig DVD tonight.

http://www.theprettythings.com/
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Phil May RIP

Post by Annoying Twit »

I'm sorry to say that I'm not familiar with Phil May. But, on this sad occasion I'll check out some of his music. I see from the other thread that he was associated with The Pretty Things, whom I know of but don't know their music.

While I can just look up Wikipedia and Spotify: @twcc - is there something you would recommend that I/anybody else reading could listen to?
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

If you like early Rolling Stones ie R&B then the early singles and early albums are good ... as a bonus some of tracks will be familiar as you will know them by the original artists before the Pretty Things covered them or by David Bowie when he covered them much later. The late material can be a bit challenging but if you had to go for one album then it would have to be S F Sorrow. Take note 'Sorrow' was recorded at Abbey Road around the time of A Saucerful of Secrets and the White Album and predated many of the other rock opera and concept albums.

I will listen to the Indigo gig tonight as it covers a broad range of styles and features many from the various line ups, plus guests including David Gilmour and Van Morrison.

:-;
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

Thanks. I'm familiar with S.F.Sorrow, and listened to it a while back. But, only once so not enough to really get familiar with it. I'll give it a listen now.
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

Try Greatest Hits 64 to 67
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

Very sad to hear of his death.
The one that sticks with me from what I've heard is The Good Mr Square. Really should have listened to them at the time I was getting into Floyd.
R.I.P. Phil May and thank you.

EDIT: And how could I forget the grooviness of Electric Banana alter-ego and their track "Eagle's Son" that was so amayyyyzing, the BBC in the 70's used it in the climax to the episode of Doomwatch about Jet lag, "Flight Into Yesterday"

https://youtu.be/6YDNVyjIkP0