Is the Pink Floyd music depressive?

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Is the Pink Floyd music depressive?

Post by space triangle »

Today I had a discussion with a close friend about Pink Floyd. Among other things, he told me that he tried several times to start listen to Pink Floyd, but he gave it up every time, because of their music seemed too much depressive to him. I couldn’t agree with him and told him that a band that has sold over 200 million albums can’t achieve it by creating a depressive music. But, I have to admit that this is not the first time I have heard someone said it Pink Floyd music is depressive. As for me personally, I can only accept that The Final Cut album sounds somewhat depressing.
everton1690
Knife
Knife

Re: Is the Pink Floyd music depressive?

Post by everton1690 »

I'd say 75% of the wall is wrist opening material
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

space triangle wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 6:15 pm Today I had a discussion with a close friend about Pink Floyd. Among other things, he told me that he tried several times to start listen to Pink Floyd, but he gave it up every time, because of their music seemed too much depressive to him. I couldn’t agree with him and told him that a band that has sold over 200 million albums can’t achieve it by creating a depressive music.
Obviously you were wrong. Start with Don't Leave Me Now.

If that doesn't convince you try Wish You Were Here. Or Dogs.
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

everton1690 wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 7:29 pm I'd say 75% of the wall is wrist opening material
along with all of TFC
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

Kerry King wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:10 amOr Dogs.
Animals may be the Pink Floyd most bleak, gloomy and dystopian album. But I don't feel it's depressive album in the first place.
Master_Chief
Blade
Blade

Post by Master_Chief »

It all boils down to what any individual would consider depressing. I think the term for Animals, The Wall and The Final Cut is better described as dark or gloomy. But to some that's the best backdrop for art.

I only find several tracks from The Wall depressing, but I think The Final Cut is a fantastic piece of art depicting bitterness towards the "post-war dream" and a rather disjointed continuation of The Wall narrative. At a push only Two Suns in the Sunset is a tad depressing to me, but only because it concludes the concept bleakly. Animals ended with the optimistic Pigs on the Wing (Part 2), The Wall ended with Pink's wall falling down but The Final Cut ends with a nuclear holocaust. No optimism anywhere.

You can certainly call The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking depressing, particularly if you've ever been cheated on before. But in my opinion someone in the right (or wrong) mindset could easily find Smile, Coming Back to Life or Take It Back equally depressing.
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

space triangle wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:29 am
Kerry King wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:10 amOr Dogs.
Animals may be the Pink Floyd most bleak, gloomy and dystopian album. But I don't feel it's depressive album in the first place.
Sure, WE don't find it depressing. But you were speaking of others. I know a number of people who think pf is depressing in a negative way. Syd Barrett's solo albums have been known to depress the shit out of certain people. Pink floyd songs never depressed me, they gave me hope. At least someone was out there expressing those feelings. I think it's a message worth delivering. However, in hindsight it seems as if Waters was often pandering.
dj865
Blade
Blade

Post by dj865 »

I've heard this from people in the past too....I always put it down to the fact it's just unfamiliar to them- the pace/tempo is often slower than music they listen to and the only word they find to describe it is..."depressing". It's a bit like giving vegetables to a kid who only ever eats Cheerios...they will obviously say..."disgusting"
DarkSideFreak
Knife
Knife

Post by DarkSideFreak »

Not any more than Marillion.

My eyes just well up when I think of this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqUYBITZDZQ

:(
KingQueenKnave
Embryo
Embryo

Post by KingQueenKnave »

It really depends on the song/album, as well as perspective. To some extent, The Dark Side of the Moon is a pretty depressing album conceptually and lyrically, yet musically it's balanced with something pretty uplifting. Wish You Were Here is much sadder/bittersweet, and also angry at times.

I will agree with one or two of the prior posts and say, yeah, Animals is pretty depressing. So are both The Wall and The Final Cut. The latter is almost too depressing, and to date I can't make heads or tails out of it. I can't get much enjoyment out of it.