RPWL - The Man and the Journey

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

RPWL - The Man and the Journey

Post by Annoying Twit »

I've now had a chance to listen to this. As it's a PF cover video, I think it fits here, but perhaps this will get moved to 'General Music Discussion'.

At present I have a policy of leaving purchases for a few days after arrival before using them, so it took until yesterday for me to play this.

I think this is an extremely well done video. The band play the songs extremely well. The lighting is good. The visuals behind the band are very well done, and while I was too young to go to psychedelic freakouts in the 60s, I feel through the projected visuals in this I get a taste of what it would have been like. (Someone with more knowledge of the 60s shows may be able to critique that more. The stage is quite small, not something more Floyd scale as say Brit Floyd or The Australian Pink Floyd Show would put on. But, the predominately green lighting is good, the camera work is great. Visually very impressive.

The sound quality of the live music is, I think superb. I'm not playing it through mega quality speakers in a treated listening room, so maybe others may hear flaws that I don't. But, what I hear is excellent sound quality. The vocals are good. Not standout vocals that would win pop idol, nor absolutely perfect imitations of the Floyd vocalists. But, very good vocals that would fit right in with the real Floyd. The musicianship is very good.

The Man and the Journey is, despite being cobbled together, a fabulous suite, and I think RPWL do it justice. I really think a lot of people would enjoy this DVD.
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: RPWL - The Man and the Journey

Post by twcc »

This thread may fit better in "Nick, Rick and Other Floyd Musicians" ... but I will leave it here for now !

I agree with your comments and I like the piece. After discussions on another thread I dug out the double disc set and watched the DVD and listened to the audio only version ... I enjoyed both but maybe prefer the CD version.

Another viewing/listen is now in order.
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

I simply love it! This is as close as you can get to hearing/watching Pink Floyd's first daring attempt to create conceptual work. I discovered RPWL some 2-3 years ago, and since then this TM & TJ cover has been one of my favorites. The Man and the Journey suite was essentially a 'best of' the early PF years segued into a show. And the RPWL have recreated it almost perfectly. Sonically it's done very well, and visually they managed to create the atmosphere of the late 60s or early 70s. I give it strong 4/5, or maybe even 4.5/5
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

Thanks both.

Are you familiar with what the original visuals would have looked like? I've searched for images online and not found much.

I don't expect RPWL's images to match the originals - they look like an updated version of the concept which I think is good. But, I'd like to know what the PF films looked like - and I don't.
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

^^^
Not familiar with the original visuals although we can get a feel from the Peter Whitehead film(s) "Tonite" aka "The Fall" and from "Technicolor Dream" and the other stuff recorded at the UFO Club ... these films are readily available but have been so cut and re-cut that the Floyd content (from 1966 and 1967) can only really show where they were heading towards for "The Man and the Journey" a few years later.

The early Peter Wynne-Willson light show presentations are very similar his current ones; the key difference is the 60s shows did not have the benefit of modern (powerful) light sources. Overall I believe RPWL got it pretty close, but as I noted above, I probably prefer the audio disc version.
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

Thanks. I've seen things like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVrembZ7dVE

But, that basically has coloured lights. I would have thought they would have progressed significantly by the time of TM&TJ.
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

Here is a nice article about Pink Floyd show 'The Final Lunacy, Royal Albert Hall, London 26th June 1969'. From the Brain Damage site. One can get a certain picture of what The Man and the Journey show looked like visually.

https://www.brain-damage.co.uk/concerts ... -june.html

'Almost 40 years ago, one of Pink Floyd's key concerts took place in front of a rapt audience at London's historic Royal Albert Hall. Robert Lancaster was one of the lucky few there, and shares his memories of the show for fellow Brain Damage visitors...There are very few concerts that the audience know will be exceptional even before they have taken their seats and where the atmosphere of anticipation and excitement are palpable. This was the electric situation at the Royal Albert Hall, London, on the evening of 26th June 1969, for "The Final Lunacy" of Pink Floyd’s UK series of concerts entitled "The Man and the Journey"...