Melody Maker's Michael Watts and the box with a boxing glove

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Melody Maker's Michael Watts and the box with a boxing glove

Post by Annoying Twit »

I think the Atom Heart Mother suite has some very good music on it. However, I agree with various comments (including Roger) in thinking that it's not structured that well. I wonder what it would be like if Ron Geesin hadn't been there to help out.
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

Annoying Twit wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:08 pm I wonder what it would be like if Ron Geesin hadn't been there to help out.
It would be like the amazing pudding! 8)
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

space triangle wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:23 pm
Annoying Twit wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:08 pm I wonder what it would be like if Ron Geesin hadn't been there to help out.
It would be like the amazing pudding! 8)
Hmm... I suspect maybe not. As I said elsewhere AHM is probably the PF album I'm least familiar with. I just played a live version of The Amazing Pudding from (it says) the 23rd of January 1970, which pre-dates Geesin's involvement by some months. I'd say that version is actually less of a structural mess than the finished AHM. But, that live version of TAP is actually a bit boring. It's clear from the descriptions of how the track was composed that a lot of music was added to it during its development with Geesin. If Geesin hadn't been involved, then I suspect that it wouldn't have seen the light of day in the simpler form, and that PF would still have modified it considerably. With less guidance.
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

Too bad Pink Floyd refused to allow Stanley Kubrick to use a parts of the AHM suite in the 'A Clockwork Orange' movie.. I believe then Atom Heart Mother would be a much more appreciated, and more popular album. Roger changed his mind a years later, and said it was the wrong decision.

8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6StZdsMmu28
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

space triangle wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:36 am Too bad Pink Floyd refused to allow Stanley Kubrick to use a parts of the AHM suite in the 'A Clockwork Orange' movie.. I believe then Atom Heart Mother would be a much more appreciated, and more popular album. Roger changed his mind a years later, and said it was the wrong decision.
and in return Kubrick refused Rogers request to use dialog from 2001 on his amused to death album. But Rog did have 2001 playing on a TV on stage during his 1999 In the flesh tour.
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

Annoying Twit wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:06 pm But, that live version of TAP is actually a bit boring.
They have said sveral times in the interviews that they felt ‘something was missing’ in the TAP piece. And. that was why Ron Geesin was brought in. Honestly, I don't think they ever knew exactly what to do with that piece of music. The whole piece started out as something completely different: 'Theme for an Imaginary Western', but ended up as something with the brass and choir on it! That would be like as if 'Shine On You Crazy Diamond' started out as a trinute to the Bob Klose and Sigma 6, but ended up as final tribute for the Syd Barrett. 8)
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

Slightly OFF-TOPIC -

Maybe AHM was not the first review that met with the 'boxing glove treatment'.

Navigate to 3m50s for a story by Rick about 'Juke Box Jury'-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmQfKrvuubk